Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decent jobs in Russia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motorcycleman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Decent jobs in Russia Reply with quote

Is it possible to earn a decent salary in Russia with a BA Hons in English and an MA TESOL and 5 years teaching experience?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you add local contacts, reputation, and at least some language skills, yes, but it would be very unusual to walk into a 'better' job from abroad. The more realistic route is to start with a run-of-the-mill school and move up via networking.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and where your five years were will matter. If Asia, that isn't a strength as most employers are aware that Asian students and teaching contexts are significantly different to those in Russia.
kirby42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, it depends on how much you're willing to work and what city you're in. Moscow has the best salaries, but it's an expensive city.

You can make a nice bit from private lessons, certainly more than you can with a school.

What would you consider a good salary? I can tell you if it's realistic or not. PM if you like.
Spasibo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Oh, and where your five years were will matter. If Asia, that isn't a strength as most employers are aware that Asian students and teaching contexts are significantly different to those in Russia.

I have never heard of working in Asia being a detriment to getting work in Russia. Teaching English is the same no matter where you are.

Now, speaking may be much harder for Asian students because they don't use alphabets in their native languages. So they have no reference for how letters should sound.

I've known many teachers who worked in both Russia and Asia (Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan...) never did anyone lose a job because of their experience in one country.

As for context, they are possibly different. that depends more on the level of the student and if they are children or adults.

The main ESL areas for teaching are Asia, the Middle East, Latin America.. Russia ranks quite low as a country of choice for English teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: