Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Business/Academic Teaching in Asia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yzw200

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Business/Academic Teaching in Asia Reply with quote

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum and considering teaching overseas for a couple of years. I'm a native English speaker from the U.S. I have 10+ years of professional experience in the non-profit and government sectors and have written reports for government officials and a Mayor of a mid-sized American city.

I have a Master in Public Administration degree which focuses strongly on business communications/writing within the public sector. I will be completing either a TEFL or CELTA certificate.

I do not have formal teaching experience, though I have tutored over the years and currently mentor high school and college students.

I've been advised that my experience should open up opportunities to teach English in Business and Academic environments. I was hoping for feedback from those in this forum on:

a. The accuracy of that advice
b. Potential pay rate for business/academic
c. Where to start in looking for these types of positions.

Thank you all in advance for your advice and feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Yisrael
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as you know, Asia is Earth's largest and most populous continent, stretching from Turkey to Japan and from Siberia to Indonesia on the equator.

You should decide where you want to go first, or decide where you DON'T want to go and see what's left.

Quote:
I've been advised that my experience should open up opportunities to teach English in Business and Academic environments.

a. The accuracy of that advice

It's accurate but limited to those countries that are developed enough to have a somewhat advanced educational system and a strong economy, such as S. Korea (which must be discussed here only: http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/ )
), Japan, Taiwan, China, Hong Kong and the Gulf Region (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, etc.). Some Southeast Asian countries fit the bill but at a less financially rewarding level (Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia [?], Singapore [?]). You might find something in the parts that are left (the Stans, South Asia, Mongolia) but most likely conditions and pay would be poor.

Another limitation is that you lack certfication and teaching experience.
This will be an obstacle for many jobs, but not all.

Quote:
b. Potential pay rate for business/academic

Depends on the country. The Gulf Region is well-known as the highest -paying followed by Northeast Asia; basketcase countries like Thailand and Cambodia, the lowest.

Quote:
c. Where to start in looking for these types of positions.

There are numerous websites for teaching job ads, such as the one on this site:

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/

It's international so you can compare what's being offered in various countries. You can also find country-specific sites by doing a websearch for "teaching jobs (name of country)" or "list of schools/universities (name of country)".

You can also post your resume on some sites like this one:

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/wanted/

Anyway, get in touch with some schools that look interesting to you. They're the ones who can really answer your questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: