Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New MA:TESOL guy -- Japan worth it? Life in general?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocket00000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: New MA:TESOL guy -- Japan worth it? Life in general? Reply with quote

Hi everybody! I hope you like my friendly salutation enough to give me some good advice about whether or not teaching in Japan is worth the trouble! (Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm in the middle of grad school induced homework psychosis).

My relevant qualifications are as follows:

*MA: TESOL (graduating this July)
*MFA: Creative nonfiction (that's where the money's at!)
*3 years ESL teaching experience (China, Japan, Peru, Chile)
*2 years college teaching experience (comp classes)
*2 years substitute teaching experience (one job was a long-term position at a special ed school which lasted the entire school year)

With these qualifications what should I be shooting for? Ideally, I would like to work with adults, but I'll take what I can get as long as the pay is decent. By "decent" I mean over 3K a month. Is that unreasonable? Is it too high, or, like Elizabeth Berkley in Showgirls, am I selling myself short?

Are untenured university positions attainable or even desirable? Are the jobs on JREC worth applying for? What's with this whole "job" thing about anyway? I thought we were supposed to be living in a Burning Man, post-apocalyptic, barter economy already.

My long-term plan is to spend a few years in Japan getting post-master's teaching experience before moving on to more lucrative gigs elsewhere. Are there lucrative gigs left in ESL? Was getting into this field a huge mistake? I mean, I like teaching English. Joseph Campbell told me to "follow my bliss" but what if he was just some crazy guy who didn't know what he was talking about?

At any rate, may the universe shower you with blessings for reading this far. Any advice or opinions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Please enjoy these fun emoticons at no extra charge: Very Happy Shocked Cool
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a limited contract, OK.
But you need a lot of money to start off.

If you want to head elsewhere later, like China, I think it is OK.
It just is getting harder to get work here.
Lots more teachers have come here since the Great Recession.
I hear of universities wanting to outsource their teachers to Berlitz or Westgate and they get just 3,000 per hour.

We are moving towards the gig economy here, where more teachers work part-time.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your age. If you are under 40 with those credentials, I think you'd have a really good chance at getting hired in a full-time, nontenured position at a university. You will most likely be on a one-year contract, renewable up to four times. The pay would be between $50,000-$60,000 US yearly. (Once you are over 40, it becomes increasingly difficult to find full-time work without being in-country with refereed publications and at least intermediate Japanese language ability. And even then there can be challenges....)

I have been hired from overseas twice. Typically, Japanese universities interested in overseas applicants will advertise at The Chronicle of Higher Education:

https://chroniclevitae.com/job_search/new?cid=chenav

However, sometimes you'll find ads open to overseas applicants on the English-language side of JRECIN:

https://jrecin.jst.go.jp/seek/SeekTop?ln=1

As I've written before, the number and quality (salaries, workloads, employment status) of jobs offered on the English-language side tend to be far worse than the Japanese-language side here.

https://jrecin.jst.go.jp/seek/SeekTop

Still, without Japanese ability, publications, significant Japanese university experience and current residency, you won't be competitive for the better positions yet.

On the thread at this link, I describe the hiring criteria for the better (tenured, tenure-track) positions at Japanese universities:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=113291&start=30

Good luck!
baki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advice not to, the glory days of Japan back in the 90s when they had money are long gone and they can't afford to relive those days anymore.

With your qualifications and enthusiasm I would recommend prospering countries like Dubai (where you can get paid a lot more if money is your short term goal) or go further in your studies (long term goal) and become a university lecturer in your home country. You will be far better off financially working for companies that offers better contracts and working conditions and/or a more established and stable position at a university where you can prove your mettle as a teacher and lead a sustainable career that opens up to more opportunities like research. Japan is simply not the place to do that.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baki wrote:

With your qualifications and enthusiasm I would recommend prospering countries like Dubai (where you can get paid a lot more if money is your short term goal) or go further in your studies (long term goal) and become a university lecturer in your home country. You will be far better off financially working for companies that offers better contracts and working conditions and/or a more established and stable position at a university where you can prove your mettle as a teacher and lead a sustainable career that opens up to more opportunities like research. Japan is simply not the place to do that.

Due to steep budget cuts, many universities in UAE have hiring freezes and/or are cutting (as in phasing out) their English programs. (Seriously, look at the UAE board here....) Even assuming somebody was still hiring, with just those qualifications, he /she is not getting a job in Dubai (or Oman, or anywhere in the ME outside of maybe Saudi Arabia).

If the OP is from the US, finding full-time (let alone tenure-track) employment will be at least as difficult as in Japan. Many (over half?) of the graduating PhDs in the Humanities never find a tenure-track position. More on the hiring situation (including helpful advice) on the CHE forums here:
http://www.chronicle.com/forums/

In other words, things are tough all over. Right now, I think mainland China is the only place remaining that can be said to be an easy market.
baki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taikibansei wrote:
baki wrote:

Due to steep budget cuts, many universities in UAE have hiring freezes and/or are cutting (as in phasing out) their English programs. (Seriously, look at the UAE board here....) Even assuming somebody was still hiring, with just those qualifications, he /she is not getting a job in Dubai (or Oman, or anywhere in the ME outside of maybe Saudi Arabia).

If the OP is from the US, finding full-time (let alone tenure-track) employment will be at least as difficult as in Japan. Many (over half?) of the graduating PhDs in the Humanities never find a tenure-track position. More on the hiring situation (including helpful advice) on the CHE forums here:
http://www.chronicle.com/forums/

In other words, things are tough all over. Right now, I think mainland China is the only place remaining that can be said to be an easy market.

I've received a few offers from SA and dubai and these are high school and language school positions with high requirements but also pays highly. They also offer multi-year contracts. I'm not interested in going there as money is not my strongest motivation at this point.

My advice for OP is that if you have that kind of experience and qualifications then you're wasting it on Japan, and better off pursuing a position at local university with a better career path. I have met many travelling high school teachers roaming the world living from nice paychecks to paychecks (and sometimes bad ones), but they're still travelling, still "homeless" and still doing the same thing. Some teachers can do that forever, but you get old and people's perspective of you will change especially in a shallow culture like Japan.
kzjohn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baki wrote:
...especially in a shallow culture like Japan.

:sigh:

To the OP: I assume you've read the other thread?

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=115581&sid=a894b35e89598371c64f956f3c880188
Rocket00000

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Yeah, to be honest I'm getting tired of the jumping between one-year contracts, limited benefits, high stress, ESL lifestyle. I'll probably apply to a number of one-year untenured university positions in Japan, and if nothing acceptable pans out find work here in the States.

If I get the urge to head overseas again in a few years I'll be in a better position with a few more years of teaching experience.

Thanks also for pointing out the other thread to me. It's very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: