Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regret not getting PGCE/K-12 sooner?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundbite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone clarify for UK passport holders? If I currently have a Masters in a non-related field, what courses would I need to do to get licensed as a teacher, that would open up international school options abroad? What's the timescale?
Baggio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
danmbob wrote:
So may we infer that most of these posters don't have MA Tesols? Higher Ed ESL/EFL is a good gig with that degree

MA TESOL and an M.Ed. (among other qualifications that also include a teacher's license and a PhD). Other posters here are known personally and they also have related graduate qualifications so, no, you may not infer.

Most decent international schools have a better remuneration package than any EFL post, including those found in higher ed, unless you manage to get a tenured position somewhere (and that isn't going to happen with just an MA).

Home country licensure PLUS two 2 years of home country experience and then hit the international school circuit.

You won't start at the top of the pile but the climb is not that steep and you reach the better end of the jobs really quickly and with less crap than someone working there way through graduate school hoping to get a plum job somewhere, eventually. There is always an option with a related MA or M.Ed to move into administration as well.

Am I right in thinking International schools operate like schools in the UK, i.e. you have a 12 month contract and paid for summer holidays etc?

To me it seems International schools are the only realistic option of living in Europe whilst ensuring job stability and having a decent/good salary. Also how does one separate the decent Intl schools from the good/very good/excellent ones?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/secondary-school-teacher

focussed on the position in England rather than UK.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundbite wrote:
Can anyone clarify for UK passport holders? If I currently have a Masters in a non-related field, what courses would I need to do to get licensed as a teacher, that would open up international school options abroad? What's the timescale?

You would be looking at a 9-12 month timetable for a post graduate certificate in education or 18-24 months for a Dip.Ed / Dip.T. /' MA.T / M.Ed.
It is not the level of your qualification that is at issue. It is having the teacher training and practicum to become a professional teacher.

In addition you would need some classroom time at home (2 years is the usual expectation) to get into the better jobs on the international school circuit.

You could find jobs in lower tier international schools with your unrelated MA but keeping the job after you get it is another issue - your pedagogical and classroom management skills or perceived lack thereof come into play.

Baggio wrote:

Am I right in thinking International schools operate like schools in the UK, i.e. you have a 12 month contract and paid for summer holidays etc?

To me it seems International schools are the only realistic option of living in Europe whilst ensuring job stability and having a decent/good salary. Also how does one separate the decent Intl schools from the good/very good/excellent ones?

In my experience (mostly in Asia) most proper international schools offer 2 year contacts but yes, you get holidays off (with pay), professional development opportunities, etc.

Look at school reputations in the country in question.
TOP schools will be highly competitive to get a position, have very low turnover of staff and also, usually, have pretty good remuneration packages.

Lower tiered schools are usually less competitive for job entry, have a higher churn of staff, and usually offer less attractive packages.

Decent international schools are a good place to start (if you have the qualifications). Most internationally accredited schools are about 2 steps above the nearest non accredited school and far & away above most local schools with unqualified EFL teachers both in terms of job satisfaction/security and remuneration.

santi84

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
It is having the teacher training and practicum to become a professional teacher.

In addition to suphanburi's excellent post, consider that one simply can't BS their way through a K-12 day in the same way as you can with an ESL class of adults. It's like a piranha tank. The practical need for quality, supervised crowd control pract... I mean, teaching practice, cannot be overstated.
Soundbite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the posters who replied, very informative!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundbite wrote:
If I currently have a Masters in a non-related field, what courses would I need to do to get licensed as a teacher, that would open up international school options abroad?

What are your BA/MA degree majors in? Generally, you'd get licensure/certification to teach the subject relevant to your BA and/or MA focus, which is what top overseas international schools expect to see.
natsume

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped out of an MA/Secondary Credential program because the reality of working in both the population and context of American high schools was not for me. My goal was also international schools, but the minimum of two dues-paying states-side years of experience was too unpalatable of a prospect, for me. I saw 25-30% of the job, for most teachers, being admin, and 50% of the energy being required in class relegated to classroom management. Getting through those hurtles and actually teaching seemed both a desperate and daunting task.

I had been on the fence about which way to go, and I am far, far happier getting my MATESOL now (May!), and the chance to teach college level EAP writing throughout my MA has cemented the fact that for me, (somewhat) adult international students are a population I truly enjoy working with, have success with, and can make a career out of working with. Things did not feel right while I was pursuing my credential, things definitely do feel right now.

To each, his/her own.
rayman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travelled to Asia for a holiday not long after completing a PGCE. The plan was to stay a month. That was 13 years ago.

I started with a gig at EF - that lasted 3 months. Then I scored my first international school job. In hindsight, it was a lower tier school, but at the time it felt like I'd hit the jackpot. The salary was quadruple what I was getting at EF, with a few benefits thrown in. After that, I was hooked and keen to work my way up the tiers of international schools.

Most of my time has been spent teaching primary students, as that's where my qualifications lie. But I also taught some secondary science and math. The second school I moved to was an IB school, and the other two thereafter have been as well. I recommend seeking out these schools when beginning your international school career.

During my time overseas, I did a MEd and more recently a Grad Cert. (TESOL). I've just recently moved into the ESL department of my current international school. At this point in my career, it feels like the ultimate job. There's fewer responsibilities than homeroom teachers, less parental pressure and yet, the compensation package is identical.

As such, I intend to remain teaching ESL in international schools, with perhaps a switch back to homeroom if I get bored, for the remainder of my career.

I definitely recommend getting certified as early in your career as possible.

Best wishes.
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

natsume,

Best of luck with everything! Cool

twowheel
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put about seven years into TEFLing and my first degree was in History. If I had my time all over again, I would have just done a Bachelors of Education from the start and tried to branch out into the international schools ASAP. As others have mentioned, the pay in international schools, compared to most TEFL positions, is often vastly superior, the holidays are usually excellent and you can get well-paid in countries that you would actually want to live in. Anyway, I'll be getting my teaching registration this year, but, with twenty-twenty hindsight, like I said, I wish I had done it much sooner. Live and learn.
chrisp728

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the Diploma in Education and Training (DET), formerly DTLLS. This is a British qualification that gives you QTS and allows you to teach in British schools and colleges, and frankly it's a hell of a lot easier than doing a PGCE (with the same ultimate result). Anyone done one?

I'm in the Middle East teaching adults - nice job, and minimal admin/paperwork/meetings/marking etc. That's what really puts me off international schools and secondary schools in general - horror stories of teachers spending all their weekends marking, pushy parents, preparing students for exams, all time-consuming stress (on top of actually teaching the lairy little buggers!)

Are international schools better than that? 1st Sergeant Welsh - you're in Philippines? What are the schools like there?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisp728 wrote:

I'm in the Middle East teaching adults - nice job, and minimal admin/paperwork/meetings/marking etc. That's what really puts me off international schools and secondary schools in general - horror stories of teachers spending all their weekends marking, pushy parents, preparing students for exams, all time-consuming stress (on top of actually teaching the lairy little buggers!)

I couldn't have had a cushier gig in the Middle East (in my case, Oman), but, I couldn't stay and do my practicums for the Grad Dip Ed because of the scheduling conflicts. Furthermore, there was no job security, the job itself wasn't professionally rewarding, I didn't want to spend the rest of my career limited to the comparatively few institutions and countries where TEFL is well-paid and employment conditions within the industry overall seem to be declining, not rising.

I get your point about the "horror stories" and that's why I have little interest teaching high school in the West. I may do it, because the experience is valued, but, in terms of the respect afforded to teachers, by both parents and students, Asia is a different world. At least that's been my experience. Moreover, you don't have to deal with the ridiculous bureaucracy found with many Western governments. The holidays also are really good and, when you in add in the weekends, you are often only effectively working for about half the year.

chrisp728 wrote:
Are international schools better than that? 1st Sergeant Welsh - you're in Philippines? What are the schools like there?

Funny you should mention it. I visited a friend at his international school yesterday. He seemed pretty happy. Had a nice lifestyle, could easily provide for his family, save and he really enjoyed his job.
Soundbite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Soundbite wrote:
If I currently have a Masters in a non-related field, what courses would I need to do to get licensed as a teacher, that would open up international school options abroad?

What are your BA/MA degree majors in? Generally, you'd get licensure/certification to teach the subject relevant to your BA and/or MA focus, which is what top overseas international schools expect to see.

I've got my BA, MSc and MRes in a particular Regional Studies, I guess it covers politics, history, social studies, a bit of economics and some language for that area.

At the moment I'm seriously considering getting the PGDE, either in History or Modern Studies based on my background, but it's the 2 years experience back home that's putting me off. Going back to the UK for one year is probably tolerable, but 3 years? That might be a stretch too far.

On that point, I've noticed in Scotland that it's not QTS, but you can be certified after 1 year. Can anyone give any more info on that?

It seems from other replies that whilst you can't get into the top schools without the home experience, you can still get into numerous international schools, authentic or otherwise, and make more money than you can in EFL, as long as you have the PGDE/equivalent. Is that right?

My plan for the next year is to stay abroad as my company is sponsoring me to do the CertTESOL, and I can save more money during that time, but after that I'm thinking of my long-term moves.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundbite wrote:
At the moment I'm seriously considering getting the PGDE, either in History or Modern Studies based on my background.

Be aware that will limit you since history is specific to a region or country. In other words, modern studies is relevant to Scotland and isn't widely included in the curriculum at international schools abroad that cater to nationals (non-UK learners). You'd be limited to British-curriculum schools with that particular subject.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: