Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regret not getting PGCE/K-12 sooner?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisp728

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 1st Sgt Welsh, thanks for the reply.

Have you left TEFL then? From your location I thought you were teaching in a Philippines International school. Do you know what your friend's deal is? 2 month summer holidays, Christmas/Easter, accommodation, etc? How's the school itself? Mostly local staff/students?

I've never visited Asia, but Philippines seems an agreeable location compared to most: English spoken, relatively cheap, good climate and lots of beaches. I invariably got along well with Filipinos in the Gulf. And I imagine crime is down since Duterte Harry got in.

You seem pretty well-versed on Asia, where would you recommend?
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kazpat wrote:
scot47 wrote:
My experience teaching adolescents in the school system in Scotland is what drove me into EFL, where I spent most of my teaching life.

Only the insane or desperate would contemplate teaching in secondary school ! Next time you get the chance look at the age profile of teachers doing that. they are all YOUNG ! What happens to them when they pass the age of 30 ?

If you are talking about teaching back home (for me the USA) then I agree with you. However, my job in secondary overseas is quite literally a dream. If our mandate wasn't to train up the locals and have internationals leave I would stay forever at my current school. Most teachers I work with never want to go back to the USA, UK, Canada etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Tenge has depreciated significantly in the last couple years against the GBP/USD/CAD, etc., and foreign teacher salaries haven't increased much to offset it. Going back 'home' would therefore be rather expensive due to the weakened Tenge.
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
I've put about seven years into TEFLing and my first degree was in History. If I had my time all over again, I would have just done a Bachelors of Education from the start and tried to branch out into the international schools ASAP. As others have mentioned, the pay in international schools, compared to most TEFL positions, is often vastly superior, the holidays are usually excellent and you can get well-paid in countries that you would actually want to live in. Anyway, I'll be getting my teaching registration this year, but, with twenty-twenty hindsight, like I said, I wish I had done it much sooner. Live and learn.

The trouble is many don't want to work with kids (and deal with parents and excessive rules, etc.). That's the trade-off.
Soundbite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Soundbite wrote:
At the moment I'm seriously considering getting the PGDE, either in History or Modern Studies based on my background.

Be aware that will limit you since history is specific to a region or country. In other words, modern studies is relevant to Scotland and isn't widely included in the curriculum at international schools abroad that cater to nationals (non-UK learners). You'd be limited to British-curriculum schools with that particular subject.

Aside from STEM subjects, and English, are there any other in-demand subjects at international schools? I can only add that my modern studies is based on Eastern Europe and Asia.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundbite wrote:
Aside from STEM subjects, and English, are there any other in-demand subjects at international schools? I can only add that my modern studies is based on Eastern Europe and Asia.

Not subjects, per se -- more like desirable specializations such as special education and early childhood/primary education.

Since international schools aren't one-size-fits-all, I suggest you do an Internet search for the top schools in your target countries. Most will have websites that indicate the subjects taught, curriculum (US/UK/CAN/IB), and the teachers' profiles. That should give you an idea of how your qualifications and subject might fit in.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
I've put about seven years into TEFLing and my first degree was in History. If I had my time all over again, I would have just done a Bachelors of Education from the start and tried to branch out into the international schools ASAP. As others have mentioned, the pay in international schools, compared to most TEFL positions, is often vastly superior, the holidays are usually excellent and you can get well-paid in countries that you would actually want to live in. Anyway, I'll be getting my teaching registration this year, but, with twenty-twenty hindsight, like I said, I wish I had done it much sooner. Live and learn.

The trouble is many don't want to work with kids (and deal with parents and excessive rules, etc.). That's the trade-off.

Sure, and there are pros and cons to any job. Can't help anybody in regards to not wanting to work with kids, but, like I said the excessive rules are more of a Western thing and, if you go to an Asian country, then you will generally find the parents very supportive.

chrisp728 wrote:

Have you left TEFL then? From your location I thought you were teaching in a Philippines International school. Do you know what your friend's deal is? 2 month summer holidays, Christmas/Easter, accommodation, etc? How's the school itself? Mostly local staff/students?

Not teaching at the moment. Just studying. My friend's school has a combination of local staff and students. When you count the weekends, he only teaches/works half the year. Like I said, he is happy with his job.

chrisp728 wrote:
I've never visited Asia, but Philippines seems an agreeable location compared to most: English spoken, relatively cheap, good climate and lots of beaches. I invariably got along well with Filipinos in the Gulf. And I imagine crime is down since Duterte Harry got in.

Not sure whether crime is up or down, but when you go to the big cities you'll often see things like a couple of security guards with vests and pump-action shotguns guarding a Dunkin' Donuts during the day time. That pretty much says it all. Crime is a major problem nationally, but I live in a fairly smallish town so, at least here, it's not a big issue.

chrisp728 wrote:
You seem pretty well-versed on Asia, where would you recommend?

Depends what you like. My favorite countries in Asia are the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Nepal, but, that's just a personal thing.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
danshengou wrote:
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:

Sure, and there are pros and cons to any job. Can't help anybody in regards to not wanting to work with kids, but, like I said the excessive rules are more of a Western thing and, if you go to an Asian country, then you will generally find the parents very supportive.

This, for sure. I worked in a Canadian Catholic school with a solid 50-60% Filipino population. Parents weren't necessarily involved with the school but were very supportive and positive during any interactions. There's a big attitude difference!
kazpat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Tenge has depreciated significantly in the last couple years against the GBP/USD/CAD, etc., and foreign teacher salaries haven't increased much to offset it. Going back 'home' would therefore be rather expensive due to the weakened Tenge.

I am not following you completely. Most good jobs here pay according to a set dollar equivalency.
JoThomas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Regret not getting PGCE/K-12 sooner? Reply with quote

Baggio wrote:
Been doing a lot of research lately concerning jobs that A) have good stability. B)skills that can be transferred the world over and C) ensure a good salary.

What I've found is that being a certified teacher is by far the best option. The ESL/TEFL business simply doesn't hold the same value as having a PGCE or K-12 license.

I'm currently in a position where I'm considering doing a PGCE to give myself the best opportunities to attain A, B and C.

Do any of the more experienced posters here wish they had gone back and completed a PGCE sooner, or went back and did it at all?
I
Thanks for the replies folks!

I'd definitely tell you to do the PGCE. I am a qualified teacher with a B.Ed. and left Canada a few years after I graduated and haven't looked back. I currently teach in an international school and am finishing my third year. Many international schools hire teachers to teach EAL, so if you have a background teaching English plus a degree (B.Ed., PGCE), then you have a chance. Most international schools want you to have two years of home country experience, so I'd suggest teaching in the UK for awhile and then you can really get into the better international schools. Even if you have zero years experience after the PGCE, you may have a chance at some international schools.

You say you want to work in Italy, but I know that the cost of living is quite high. I have a few friends working in European international schools and they like the lifestyle, but aren't saving a hell of a lot. Better to work in China where it is booming and there are so many jobs here.
chrisp728

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo - Is EAL the same as ESL/TEFL? So China has recognised international schools with purely TEFL teachers? I imagine BA + CELTA + QTS + several years TEFL experience would suffice? What sort of deal do you think that would work out to, in terms of salary/accommodation/teaching hours/hours required to be at work and extra duties/holidays?

Personally, I hugely enjoy the classroom environment and would happily teach all day: I always get a good rapport and banter going with the students and it's pleasant and productive for all concerned. But I'm not so keen on paperwork, meetings, marking, having to write detailed lesson plans for every single lesson, hanging around after I've finished my lessons, pressure from parents and especially overzealous head teachers (think the principal in School of Rock, before she finally loosens up at the end!)

How do you think I would fare in the land of rice and smog? Feel free to be brutal!
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chrisp,

Just to clear it up a bit:

An international school is a K-12 school that caters to expat children, delivered in specific languages, and is based on the curriculum of an international country. These schools are very, very similar to what you and I would have attended as children. The teachers must be certified to teach K-12 in their home countries and TEFL/CELTA is generally not a deciding factor as the majority of students will be English speakers. Obviously, some children will be a product of locals/expats and CELTA/TEFL could be an advantage. You are basically the same as a regular American/Canadian/British/Whatever teacher but your job is located in China.

Example:
International School of Macao
http://www.tis.edu.mo/

EAP: EAP is English for Academic Purposes. EAP is a subgroup within the very broad context of ESL. These programs are to prepare local non-native speakers for academic study in English. Your students will most likely be older teens/young adults. EAP can range from awesome to awful, depending on the location and school.
JoThomas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisp728 wrote:
Hi Jo - Is EAL the same as ESL/TEFL? So China has recognised international schools with purely TEFL teachers? I imagine BA + CELTA + QTS + several years TEFL experience would suffice? What sort of deal do you think that would work out to, in terms of salary/accommodation/teaching hours/hours required to be at work and extra duties/holidays?

Personally, I hugely enjoy the classroom environment and would happily teach all day: I always get a good rapport and banter going with the students and it's pleasant and productive for all concerned. But I'm not so keen on paperwork, meetings, marking, having to write detailed lesson plans for every single lesson, hanging around after I've finished my lessons, pressure from parents and especially overzealous head teachers (think the principal in School of Rock, before she finally loosens up at the end!)

How do you think I would fare in the land of rice and smog? Feel free to be brutal!

Hi Chrisp,

Many international schools hire EAL (English as an Additional Language) teachers to teach small groups of children who come into the school based on a placement test with a low level of English ability. You have to be a qualified teacher (B.Ed., PGCE) with experience teaching ESL. I believe tier 2 and 3 international schools have more non-native speaking children from a variety of countries who need the support to keep up in the homeroom classes.

I teach reading, writing, listening and speaking to small groups of children that I pull out of their homeroom classrooms. I think that I have less marking, and work to do than the homeroom teacher and I get paid the same. I am a career teacher who happens to be doing a M.Ed. in Literacy, so you can make a career out of teaching EAL. Wink

If you don't have your teaching degree, I'd say go back and get it because there are many perks to working in an international school like free flights, accommodations, good holidays and you are paid better than an ESL teacher in a language school/public school. Hope this helps you!
chrisp728

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo and santi, thanks for your replies. Do you know if Chinese International Schools accept you if you have QTS without a PGCE? I'm considering doing the Diploma in Education and Training (DET) which is a British course that upon completion gives you QTS status and the right to teach in UK schools and colleges.

You can do the DET via correspondence; one of the managers at my current job has experience as a sponsor/trainer, so it would allow me to stay where I am rather than having to drop everything and go back to UK to do a full-time PGCE.

Regarding the schools themselves, I imagine the vast majority of the kids in them are Chinese? Are they single -sex or mixed? I also imagine they're quite well-behaved, quiet and respectful, but again this may be an incorrect stereotype?
JoThomas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundbite wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
Soundbite wrote:
At the moment I'm seriously considering getting the PGDE, either in History or Modern Studies based on my background.

Be aware that will limit you since history is specific to a region or country. In other words, modern studies is relevant to Scotland and isn't widely included in the curriculum at international schools abroad that cater to nationals (non-UK learners). You'd be limited to British-curriculum schools with that particular subject.

Math, Science and Physics are in big demand in middle and high school at international schools in China at least. There are also jobs for English and History teachers.
JoThomas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisp728 wrote:
Hi Jo and santi, thanks for your replies. Do you know if Chinese International Schools accept you if you have QTS without a PGCE? I'm considering doing the Diploma in Education and Training (DET) which is a British course that upon completion gives you QTS status and the right to teach in UK schools and colleges.

You can do the DET via correspondence; one of the managers at my current job has experience as a sponsor/trainer, so it would allow me to stay where I am rather than having to drop everything and go back to UK to do a full-time PGCE.

Regarding the schools themselves, I imagine the vast majority of the kids in them are Chinese? Are they single -sex or mixed? I also imagine they're quite well-behaved, quiet and respectful, but again this may be an incorrect stereotype?

Most international school in China use a British or American/Canadian curriculum and yes, most want you to have QTS or be qualified to teach in your home country. Having a few years of experience in your home country is also usually a prerequisite, however, there are some international schools that may take newly qualified teachers.

I teach kids from about 60 nationalities. The majority are Asian (Chinese, Korean, Malaysian, Japanese) with some being from America/Canada, and Europe. Most international schools have children who have two passports and don't usually accept Chinese kids that have not lived elsewhere. The tuition is high and I teach expat children or children who have parents that work in embassies. I teach male and female children and they are quite well behaved and respectful, although I've noticed many of the Asian kids (Chinese in particular), can be quite racist and mean to their non-Chinese classmates. I'll try to get back to your pm soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: