Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regret not getting PGCE/K-12 sooner?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoThomas wrote:
Most international school in China use a British or American/Canadian curriculum and yes, most want you to have QTS or be qualified to teach in your home country. Having a few years of experience in your home country is also usually a prerequisite, however, there are some international schools that may take newly qualified teachers.

I teach kids from about 60 nationalities. The majority are Asian (Chinese, Korean, Malaysian, Japanese) with some being from America/Canada, and Europe. Most international schools have children who have two passports and don't usually accept Chinese kids that have not lived elsewhere. The tuition is high and I teach expat children or children who have parents that work in embassies.

I attended a similar private school situation in Taiwan as a 10-year-old US military dependent along with other English-speaking elementary grade kids as a continuation of our US education. There weren't any US Department of Defense schools in the city where we were stationed, so the US government paid for private schooling. Faculty was made up of qualified teachers with the exception of the Chinese language teachers. As I recall, there was ESL tutoring available for those students who needed extra help but no dedicated ESL class or full time ESL teacher. But this was more than a few decades ago. Smile
JoThomas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Cool Smile! I believe that how many EAL teachers are hired or if a school hires EAL teachers at all, depends on the school to an extent. Some schools hire one for every grade and smaller schools may only hire three or four. Also, many of the top tiered schools now hire Learning Support teachers to help with EAL learners as well as special needs children.
Baggio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Regret not getting PGCE/K-12 sooner? Reply with quote

JoThomas wrote:
Baggio wrote:
Been doing a lot of research lately concerning jobs that A) have good stability. B)skills that can be transferred the world over and C) ensure a good salary.

What I've found is that being a certified teacher is by far the best option. The ESL/TEFL business simply doesn't hold the same value as having a PGCE or K-12 license.

I'm currently in a position where I'm considering doing a PGCE to give myself the best opportunities to attain A, B and C.

Do any of the more experienced posters here wish they had gone back and completed a PGCE sooner, or went back and did it at all?
I
Thanks for the replies folks!

I'd definitely tell you to do the PGCE. I am a qualified teacher with a B.Ed. and left Canada a few years after I graduated and haven't looked back. I currently teach in an international school and am finishing my third year. Many international schools hire teachers to teach EAL, so if you have a background teaching English plus a degree (B.Ed., PGCE), then you have a chance. Most international schools want you to have two years of home country experience, so I'd suggest teaching in the UK for awhile and then you can really get into the better international schools. Even if you have zero years experience after the PGCE, you may have a chance at some international schools.

You say you want to work in Italy, but I know that the cost of living is quite high. I have a few friends working in European international schools and they like the lifestyle, but aren't saving a hell of a lot. Better to work in China where it is booming and there are so many jobs here.

Thanks for the reply Jo, would you mind telling me how much your friends are making in European International schools? A ballpark figure would do don't need specifics! Also what subjects did they teach?
JoThomas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Baggio, I don't know how much they make, sorry. I know people in Germany, Switzerland and Italy who are working in international schools. They teach in elementary school, so kindergarten to grade 5. They got their jobs at the Search Associates job fair in London.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Regret not getting PGCE/K-12 sooner? Reply with quote

Baggio wrote:
Would you mind telling me how much your friends are making in European International schools? A ballpark figure would do don't need specifics! Also what subjects did they teach?

You might find the open forum on International Schools Review worth a look for those types of questions.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggio wrote:
Would you mind telling me how much your friends are making in European International schools? A ballpark figure would do don't need specifics! Also what subjects did they teach?

I've been lurking on a few international school forums for a while now and the impression that I have received in regards to working in Western Europe is that many teachers want to live there, but, because of the high cost of living, the pay/savings potential isn't that great. There are obviously exceptions and, for example, the elite Swiss international schools apparently pay very well, but, you have to be very well-qualified to land one of those gigs.

Anyway, I agree with NS. You might have better luck with forums designed specifically with international schools in mind. tes.com has an international teaching board and I've found it to be generally a pretty helpful and friendly forum.....
JoThomas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Great advice, nomadsoul!

@1st Sgt Welsh: That is what I said in another post on this thread. I don't know how much my ex-colleagues make, but I have heard from them that it is hard to save money because of the cost of living. They also said they didn't care about that fact and just wanted to be in Europe. However, you have to look at the whole package including benefits and not just the pay per se. Some reading on the subject, not necessarily up to date.
http://www.joyjobs.com/resources/salaries.htm
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoThomas wrote:

@1st Sgt Welsh: That is what I said in another post on this thread. I don't know how much my ex-colleagues make, but I have heard from them that it is hard to save money because of the cost of living. They also said they didn't care about that fact and just wanted to be in Europe. However, you have to look at the whole package including benefits and not just the pay per se. Some reading on the subject, not necessarily up to date.

Sure, but, in your post you were referring to Italy and I was talking about pretty much all of Western Europe. Anyway, I can definitely understand why somebody would sacrifice pay for a job on the continent. I'd love to live in a country like Austria for a couple of years and if I didn't save that much then so be it. Anyway, thanks for the link. I don't think I've seen that website before, but, I'll definitely give it a closer look. Thanks again!
JoThomas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
JoThomas wrote:

Sure, but, in your post you were referring to Italy and I was talking about pretty much all of Western Europe. Anyway, I can definitely understand why somebody would sacrifice pay for a job on the continent. I'd love to live in a country like Austria for a couple of years and if I didn't save that much then so be it. Anyway, thanks for the link. I don't think I've seen that website before, but, I'll definitely give it a closer look. Thanks again!

No problem! Here is a better link on the same topic.
https://www.teacherhorizons.com/advice/salaries-and-benefits-in-international-schools/
Baggio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Smile
kev20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could say that in hindsight I should have completed the BEd before coming to Asia. Most International schools I've seen in China pay three times the TEFL salary.

However, it's hugely unlikely with a BEd and two years under my belt at home I would be thinking of coming to Asia.

At that time I had no interest in teaching. I think the experience of TEFL has been a good starting point and I'd be much better suited now for undertaking the BEd and two years experience than I was when I graduated from University.

I won't be making that leap yet but it is something that is always in the back of my mind. I'd love to hear from someone who has done TEFL before returning home to become a fully qualified teacher.

Is having done TEFL a benefit at home in getting a teaching job and is it of any benefit in the western classroom?
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got certified and plan on going back to the US.
I got certified in English and ESL, so I will see.
I don't know Spanish, and if I did, it would be easier to get a job.
It should not matter but it does in certain states.
natsume

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Financially, k-12 both at home and abroad, makes very good sense. One just has to make sure that Western students, in my case high school age students, are the population that they really wish to/can work with. I dropped out of my credential/MA program in large part because I realized I'm not cut out for managing a typical American high school classroom. Not to say I don't like the age group, just not professionally. It's not that I really didn't know this deep down, I just hoped I could make a go of it. I'm sure there are very good schools with very good, well-behaved students and involved parents, but the dues paying slog years to (maybe) get to them were not worth it to me, at all.

I have a close friend who was a high school teacher at the time I was considering going into it and then beginning my program, and she was encouraging and helpful. When I finally decided to quit, she told me she was relieved. She had been biting her tongue, but she couldn't help thinking that it wasn't really my population. She just didn't want to say it.

(I got a reality check on this last summer, at the private ESL school I teach at occasionally which has a summer junior program. We had a group of Swiss high school students that were a real nightmare. The academic coordinator had not seen anything remotely like them in 7+ years. I only had to work with them for 4 weeks, but yeah, no thanks.)
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach Science at primary level here in China. I really have investigated and thought long and hard about getting licensed over the past couple of years.
After my research, which included talking to quite a few teachers that work or have worked at International schools, I decided that it was not for me.
As much as I love teaching, the extra workload and stress involved = no thanks.
I came over here to escape that kind of thing so working in the public sector with a small bit of private work suits me just fine Smile
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long term expat American certified teachers maintain their licensure when the terms of licensure require that the teacher attend reqular classes to keep their knowledge and skills up-to-date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: