Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CoE program in KSA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desert Dueller

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: CoE program in KSA Reply with quote

I recently came across this rather revealing update on the state of technical, vocational, education and training in KSA, especially the Colleges of Excellence program:

https://digital.elgazette.com/rhapsody-elgazette/saudis-struggle-with-flagship-programme/pugpig_index.html
Dr X

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
https://digital.elgazette.com/rhapsody-elgazette/saudis-struggle-with-flagship-programme/pugpig_index.html

Interesting.
Students teaching students?

and ...
Quote:
‘The results of assessment tests indicated the students lack the appropriate foundation in mathematics and the appropriate English language skills. They typically achieve a low A1 on the CEFR scale, which is roughly equivalent to an Ielts score of 2 in English, and their mathematical ability is equivalent to what a Western student would have in the early years of high school.’

Nothing is excellent in the "Colleges of Excellence".
Lord T

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, an article that, in my view, confirms the accuracy of what has been written about TTC on this forum in the last 18 months.

I worked there up to June 2015 and can state with certainty that only one of five team leaders had an MA, and he was 'released' by the then HoD
in a very nasty and unjust manner.

Perhaps I have just been unfortunate, but it seems that the overwhelming (and they are overwhelming!) majority of Hods and 'senior' teachers in Saudi are nothing but a bunch of charlatans, head cases, and thugs.

I've only ever known one genuine linguist/academic and sadly he had a drink problem that ultimately stopped him from using his considerable ability.
Dr X

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:
I've only ever known one genuine linguist/academic and sadly he had a drink problem that ultimately stopped him from using his considerable ability.

Unfortunately, alcohol is the mother of all evils and sins.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr X wrote:
Lord T wrote:

Unfortunately, alcohol is the mother of all evils and sins.

Dipsomania is the problem, not the alcohol.

Moderation is the key.
desertfox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcohol and drugs are all too commonly used by teachers in Saudi who are struggling, often, with deep seated personal problems. Why Saudi should be a magnet for people with these types of issues is beyond me. Save to say that standards have tended to be lower there, and getting into a job historically (but less so now maybe) has been easier.

The report at the top of the thread provided by Desert Dueller is sobering indeed. The experience at TTC has been one which has seen it literally stagger, under appalling mis-management, from crisis to crisis. In the end Giz lost of the contract, not before time, but the present Lincoln Colleges management appear to be just as poor.

What is that saying about "fish rotting from the head down?" One noticeable symptom of poor management is that incompetent people, when given responsibility, tend to appoint other incompetent people into middle management positions below them. The cancer of incompetence therefore spreads far and wide and can't be contained.

It only takes a few incompetent people appointed to strategic positions, as Lord T has alluded to, for chaos to reign. Shall we just say, that TTC has been an object lesson in not how to run an academic institution. The ultimate losers are the students, who deserve a lot better.
Lord T

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderation is indeed the key in all things except moderation. However, after reading the article, I wouldn't be surprised to see the bosses at TTC (now run by Lincoln Colleges International) turning to the bottle.

It seems that these providers came to make their fortune (some individuals probably did), but now the colleges in their home countries will have to cover the losses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: