Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polyglots and Monoglots ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Polyglots and Monoglots ? Reply with quote

Which are you ? I fell into the trap of language learning addiction but now that I am almost 70 I think I have got over it. How many Language Learning Addicts get into TEFLing as a way of life ?

http://blogs.transparent.com/language-news/2017/01/23/language-learning-addiction/

Hi my name is Jim and I learn languages...........
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Jim, I'm Poly:-)
Dr X

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Polyglots and Monoglots ? Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Which are you ? I fell into the trap of language learning addiction but now that I am almost 70 I think I have got over it. How many Language Learning Addicts get into TEFLing as a way of life ?

http://blogs.transparent.com/language-news/2017/01/23/language-learning-addiction/

Hi my name is Jim and I learn languages...........

Hi Jim, my name is Powell and I am Hyperpolyglot.
I speak forty-two languages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_polyglots#Africa

In rare cases polyglot savants have mental disabilities but are able to learn many languages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyglotism
twowheel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly--English, German, Chinese, Japanese

twowheel
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But 2-wheel - how do you deal with this abnormal compulsion to acquiire other tongues ?
Yanklonigan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot47,

Sadly but truthfully I'm a mono-American. I studied Latin in grammar school (Latin was still used in the Catholic Mass), Spanish in high school and German at the university level: I barely passed the classes and I retained very little.

I made a gallant effort to learn Japanese during my five year stay there and I tried to ignore the Arabic language during one my year stint in the sand box.

Years ago I even dabbled with the Irish language!

My brain seems to be hard-wired against learning another language.
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
But 2-wheel - how do you deal with this abnormal compulsion to acquiire other tongues ?

Oh oh! I am a hopeless case! I am already daydreaming about my next foray into another linguistic abyss: Korean? Spanish? French? other? all of the above?

twowheel
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Jim and I am engaged in the study of Medieval Slobodian. Ever since my first visit to Slobodistan I have been intrigued by this language and the culture of all Slobs, ancient and modern..........
c_destru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moved to latin america for 5 months, learned advanced level spanish, forgot half of it. working with deaf folks so studying asl, about intermediate level. want to learn arabic, taking classes next week.

definitely a collector.
twowheel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_destru wrote:
moved to latin america for 5 months, learned advanced level spanish, forgot half of it. working with deaf folks so studying asl, about intermediate level. want to learn arabic, taking classes next week.

definitely a collector.

Very nice.

+1

twowheel
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it... or not.
    This Man Speaks 32 Different Languages
    Ioannis Ikonomou works for the European Commission as a translator. It's a prestigious position, and yet it still sells him short. You see, Ioannis speaks 32 living languages. He belongs to a very small and special group of people called hyperpolyglots who have the extraordinary ability to attain fluency in many different tongues. According to Ioannis, there's no special trick or easy way to become a hyperpolyglot, but the best way to start is to boldly put yourself out there and SPEAK.

Video: http://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/the-ultimate-polyglot-this-man-speaks-32-languages
simon44

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scot, I grew up in an academic and multi-lingual family. My father was a professor of languages at Leicester University. He grew up in Egypt in the 20's and was trilingual in English (family language), Arabic (local language) and French (school main language).

I remember that he was able to speak at least 12 living languages, plus academic-level knowledge of languages such as Middle High German, Old Norse, Icelandic etc.

My mother used to write (in French) biographies of famous/infamous French celebrities...

I was destined to study for a BA in French and Italian, but somewhere this went amiss and I ended up studying Rocket Science.

I have a great interest in learning new languages - During my forthcoming holiday break I'm catching up on my Myanmar language knowledge.

I think I was very fortunate to grow up in Europe (many different languages within a few hundred Km), and now working in south-east Asia (ditto applies).
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did people manage to learn languages in the good old days?

It must have been a real struggle before a new magical methodology appeared every fortnight to make things much easier!
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard work, good textbooks and teachers who flogged their students regularly.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
teachers who flogged their students regularly

...especially this!

The floggings will continue until morale improves!

twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: