Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Best' Place to Work/Live in Vietnam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ouagadougou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: 'Best' Place to Work/Live in Vietnam Reply with quote

Hi,

I’m heading to Vietnam shortly after Tet to find a comfortable place to live and teach for several months...maybe longer. I was last in Vietnam 14 years ago so I’m a little blurry.

What I’m looking for:
• Clean mid sized city or smaller
• Demand for EFL teachers
• Ability to exercise outdoors…parks, hills, beach side, rock etc

Possibilities I’ve come up with:
• Cat Ba Island (unlikely many jobs)
• Vinh
• Hue
• Danang
• Hoi An (maybe same problem as Cat Ba)
• Nha Trang
• Da Lat
• Phu Quoc

So, if anybody has any comments on the above or can add to the list please do.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your qualifications are... ?
ouagadougou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

I have a degree in social sciences and post grad in business....nothing teaching related...not even a TEFL cert. Was in Korea for 3 years, 1 year university coordinator in Africa, and freelance teaching on and off in Asia. Formal teaching has been mainly to elementary, middle and high school students.

From what I've read re teaching in Vietnam, I'll likely end up being a freelancer in whatever town I settle in....but not sure on that.
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouagadougou wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

I have a degree in social sciences and post grad in business....nothing teaching related...not even a TEFL cert. Was in Korea for 3 years, 1 year university coordinator in Africa, and freelance teaching on and off in Asia. Formal teaching has been mainly to elementary, middle and high school students.

From what I've read re teaching in Vietnam, I'll likely end up being a freelancer in whatever town I settle in....but not sure on that.

Don't expect much of any consistent money in the smaller towns. But if you don't need it, then the location is up to you. Just work your way around until you find one you like.
ouagadougou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

Out of Vinh, Hue, Danang and Nha Trang, which has the most potential for work?....supply/demand.

I haven't narrowed the search to anywhere. Open to any suggestions and comments.
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouagadougou wrote:
Thanks,

Out of Vinh, Hue, Danang and Nha Trang, which has the most potential for work?....supply/demand.

I haven't narrowed the search to anywhere. Open to any suggestions and comments.

One thing to keep in mind is that if a place is somewhat livable for foreigners and there is work, then there will be more teachers and more competition. At minimum for any decent language school contract, you'll need to get an ELT certificate of some kind.
ouagadougou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
ouagadougou wrote:
Thanks,

One thing to keep in mind is that if a place is somewhat livable for foreigners and there is work, then there will be more teachers and more competition. At minimum for any decent language school contract, you'll need to get an ELT certificate of some kind.

Yes, right. So I assume I'd have an easier time in Vinh or Hue...??

Better options?
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouagadougou wrote:
danshengou wrote:
ouagadougou wrote:
Thanks,

Yes, right. So I assume I'd have an easier time in Vinh or Hue...??

Better options?

Yeah, most likely. Da Nang is still pretty popular among TEFLers, so you will probably encounter more roadblocks there without a cert.
BenE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinh has a few centers including AMA and Neoling. They both employ foreigners though I'm not sure if they are recruiting. A reasonably nice town (albeit not the most exciting) I met one teacher there who doesn't ever want to leave so it can't be all bad.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should consider Vung Tau. That's where I'd go if I had to move somewhere other than Danang.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
You should consider Vung Tau. That's where I'd go if I had to move somewhere other than Danang.

Many teachers have tried Vung Tau.

I've never lived or worked there but having lived in Saigon for many years I used to visit and still have friends living there.

It's a very small teaching market. You an scrape up work.

Be prepared for that. Scattered work.

Good luck.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but anywhere outside of Hanoi or HCMC is going to be like that. I moved to Danang about 5 years ago, and there were only 3 centers in town which could offer 15 hours per week, which was considered "full-time" back then. Now, there are scores of language centers all over the city, but teachers still scrape together hours because it's considered Vietnam's most livable city.

I've visited Vung Tau, and in just the week I was there I saw multiple language centers. More than Danang had when I moved here. I honestly don't think it would take too long to find steady work there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: