Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does temporary unemployment affect visa?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jillayne.baumgartner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: How does temporary unemployment affect visa? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I recently arrived into the country to begin work search, but have a question regarding temporary visas. I am living with my boyfriend who is finishing at med school, and we may need to move for him to complete for his social service in 6 months.

Assuming I am working and have a visa at that time, how would quitting and finding a job elsewhere affect the visa? I understand that both my employer and I will need to notify immigration, but do I have a window of time to find another job? Am I expected to leave the country and return on a tourist visa until a new job is secured and restart the entire process?

Thank you for all your help!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your residente temporal status is based on employment, then you will need to find another employer as soon as possible or you will have the visa revoked, as far as I understand it.

That said, you can employ some delaying tactics, such as not reporting in to immigration when you leave your employer (if the employer is cool with that). You could also try going independent as you leave your employer, though this isn't always accepted.

Best thing to do is to get a lawyer who knows his stuff...happy to send you the contact for just such a lawyer if you need it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: