Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Get Res Temp visa now and add work permission later?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srs3829

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Get Res Temp visa now and add work permission later? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I don't have a job offer from Mexico, but in my research I've discovered I could qualify for a Residente Temporal based on one of other categories.

If I apply for a RT now while I'm still in the USA, can I move to Mexico, get my CELTA, look for work, and THEN add on permission to work sometime later when I have a job offer? And could I add that permission to my RT without leaving Mexico?

It looks to me like the INM does have a process for adding work permission to a pre-existing RT, but I can't find any info about whether it's intended to be used in the way I envision. The process is here--- https://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/obtencion-de-permiso-de-trabajo-para-extranjeros-residentes-temporales-en-mexico/INM795

Is this a bad idea? If it's better to go the standard route of job offer first then RT, that's okay too.

Thank you!!
srs3829

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone else who is wondering, I am told this is theoretically possible! (All the typical "it depends" caveats apply...)
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably depend on what state office you are dealing with. They have a fair amount of leeway.
I'm curious what will qualify you for your residente temporal before having a job offer?

I have heard of people who do the CELTA and look for a job as a tourist then leave the country (to Belize or a US city with a Consulars office) and get the visa changed in a couple of days then return, of course there are travel expenses involved in that scenario.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm curious what will qualify you for your residente temporal before having a job offer?

Those that took advantage of the regularization progam receive residence, but no right to work. A work permit can be applied for later. I believe you don't have to leave the country for that, but don't quote me!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is true as well, though I don't have direct experience with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get it through family that doesn't include permission to work. Then of course the retirees who have enough income to qualify also don't have permission to work.
But lately I've noticed on the facebook groups people who assume they can just ask for temporary residency. Just 'cause they want to live in Mexico.
srs3829

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all! There are several ways one can qualify for a Residente Temporale without having a job offer. A list is at the link below.

https://consulmex2.sre.gob.mx/atlanta/index.php/component/content/article/11-visas/451-temporary-residency-more-than-180-days-and-less-of-4-years

I will definitely be applying per one of these (would prefer not to say which) and have confirmed the requirements with my consulate. That being said, I'll believe it when I actually have the card in my hand! I say that not out of a lack of respect for the Mexican government, but just because I don't like to assume anything when it comes to beaurocratic processes.
srs3829

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm just giving a little extra info on this in case anyone else is wondering about it.

It's relatively straightforward to add permission to work to an existing Residente Temporal. I say "relatively" because the additional paperwork isn't much but processing times seem to vary greatly depending on the will/means/disposition of the INM.

One piece of advice to anyone in CDMX who is reading this: make sure you know which INM office to take your paperwork to. They have two offices in the same neighborhood-- Polanco-- and it does matter where you go, though I'm not sure what determines which you should use. Maybe confirm when you turn in your paperwork that you're in the right place?

Good luck!
notamiss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srs3829 wrote:
They have two offices in the same neighborhood-- Polanco-- and it does matter where you go, though I'm not sure what determines which you should use. Maybe confirm when you turn in your paperwork that you're in the right place?

The two offices are a brisk 20–25-minute walk apart or a 5–10-minute taxi or bus ride apart. They are divided by functions, but I don’t know the details. If you go to the wrong one, they will send you to the other. (Guess how I know.)
srs3829

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, yes!! I feel like I could give guided tours now on the route between the two offices. My newbie mistake was turning my paperwork in at the wrong Polanco office, which has resulted in a VERY lengthy delay. It is making me a more patient person Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: