Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vietnam Working Requirements 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
itchy_toes



Joined: 21 Oct 2010
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Expat Luke Reply with quote

Private tutoring is illegal. You'd only need a tourist visa as you can't get a business visa for that.

I guess you're sure about that? Then I'll be stuck doing online tutoring, which I am not thrilled about. Sad Thanks for your reply.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sigmoid



Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Private tutoring is illegal. You'd only need a tourist visa as you can't get a business visa for that.

I guess you're sure about that? Then I'll be stuck doing online tutoring, which I am not thrilled about.


The point is that work permits cover full-time regular employment under a contract. Relatively few schools offer this and then usually only to select members of staff. Most teachers fall under the category of casual labor and are paid according to an hourly rate, and may or may not be able to maximize their hours depending on how popular they are.

For everyone else regardless of what you're doing, you're on a tourist visa or a business visa, which you can read about in the OP, although it is not very clear and possibly partially inaccurate.

Once in-country, you keep a valid visa in your passport by a combination of extensions and visa runs. If you're in HCMC, you have the option making a day-trip to the border with Cambodia and back. Or, spend a couple days in Phnom Penh, or one night in Bangkok, etc.

They have introduced e-visas now, which I no experience with. Have a look at this from the govt:

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
itchy_toes



Joined: 21 Oct 2010
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: work permits and private tutoring Reply with quote

Thanks, Sigmoid. I already have a tourist visa good for one year, multiple entry. I had just hoped to be able to support myself (and child) by doing private tutoring in-country (as opposed to online) but don't want to run afoul of the law, naturally.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Action



Joined: 16 Jan 2017
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: OP edit Reply with quote

[quote="sigmoid"][quote]Private tutoring is illegal. You'd only need a tourist visa as you can't get a business visa for that.

For everyone else regardless of what you're doing, you're on a tourist visa or a business visa, which you can read about in the OP, although it is not very clear and possibly partially inaccurate.

Despite Sigmoids post being april 1st please feel free to point out the obfuscations and inaccuracies of my OP so that they may be edited for newcomers benefit as originally intended and requested, thanks ... Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sigmoid



Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, no doubt, a most excellent post, which is why I recommended people go back and read it. Now that you've amended it, it's even better.

I think the main doubt I had when first reading it is this part:

"Tourists who entered Vietnam and stayed for 3 months couldn’t extend their stay any longer. They could exit and re-enter Vietnam with a new visa approval letter."

Not sure if it's possible now but last year it was possible to get a 3-month extension after entering on a 3-month tourist visa in the south, and a letter wasn't needed to get a new 3-month tourist visa in Laos. Things may have changed.

Anyway, the whole visa situation is rather fluid with policies and fees occasionally changing, and variations occurring depending on location and nationality.So, it may not be possible to make it 100% accurate. Anyway, what you've posted is the best we can hope for (99 and 44/100 percent).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sigmoid



Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had just hoped to be able to support myself (and child) by doing private tutoring in-country (as opposed to online) but don't want to run afoul of the law, naturally.


Whatever the legality of it, a lot of people are casually teaching privately and in schools.

A bigger concern would be finding enough private students that are reliable and willing to pay reasonable rates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PlushSky



Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to the OP for compiling this highly useful information.


I have a couple of queries with regards to

Quote:
The majority of would-be teachers require at least... a criminal record clearance... And a degree with transcript


1) I no longer have my original degree certificate. What I do have, however, is a PDF from the university where the degree was gained stating:

"To Whom It May Concern:

I am pleased to confirm the following:

Name: *My name*
Award and title: BA (Hons) English Literature
Classification: 2:1
Date of Award: 1st July 2011
Registration Period: September 2008 to July 2011
Mode of Study: Full-time
Mode of Delivery: Face-to-face delivery
Location of Delivery: *My University*
Language of Delivery: English
Language of Assessment: English"

This is signed by the administrator and "letter headed" with the university name, logo and academic registry. I've used this within the UK for job applications without issue.
Would anybody here be able to shed any light on whether the British Consulate in HCMC would notarise this? And if they did, are employers obliged to accept it or can they refuse
it, even if notarised? If this is an issue I can order a replacement degree certificate.

2) In looking to obtain the criminal records clearance, my govt's website https://www.gov.uk/copy-of-police-records states:

Quote:
You have the right to ask for a copy of records the police have about you. This is called a ‘subject access request’.

You might need a subject access request if you move to another country.

A subject access request has records from:

police forces in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey and the Isle of Man
the British Transport Police
You can make a subject access request to the ACRO Criminal Records Office (ACRO) - it costs £10"....

[Alternatively] You can request a police certificate from ACRO if you need it for your visa application for:

Australia
Belgium
Canada
New Zealand
South Africa
the USA
It costs either:

£45 to get the certificate in 10 working days
£80 for a 2 day premium service


Am I right in assuming the "subject access request" would be sufficient for a criminal record check and would be notarised by the Consulate? Obviously I'm not applying for a visa for the countries listed
and this is technically for a business work permit. (I realise it's something of a long shot anybody will be able to answer this but I'll ask anyway).

Any replies are greatly appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Action



Joined: 16 Jan 2017
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlushSky wrote:
Many thanks to the OP for compiling this highly useful information.


I have a couple of queries with regards to

Quote:
The majority of would-be teachers require at least... a criminal record clearance... And a degree with transcript


1) I no longer have my original degree certificate. What I do have, however, is a PDF from the university where the degree was gained stating:

"To Whom It May Concern:

I am pleased to confirm the following:

Name: *My name*
Award and title: BA (Hons) English Literature
Classification: 2:1
Date of Award: 1st July 2011
Registration Period: September 2008 to July 2011
Mode of Study: Full-time
Mode of Delivery: Face-to-face delivery
Location of Delivery: *My University*
Language of Delivery: English
Language of Assessment: English"

This is signed by the administrator and "letter headed" with the university name, logo and academic registry. I've used this within the UK for job applications without issue.
Would anybody here be able to shed any light on whether the British Consulate in HCMC would notarise this? And if they did, are employers obliged to accept it or can they refuse
it, even if notarised? If this is an issue I can order a replacement degree certificate.

2) In looking to obtain the criminal records clearance, my govt's website https://www.gov.uk/copy-of-police-records states:

Quote:
You have the right to ask for a copy of records the police have about you. This is called a ‘subject access request’.

You might need a subject access request if you move to another country.

A subject access request has records from:

police forces in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey and the Isle of Man
the British Transport Police
You can make a subject access request to the ACRO Criminal Records Office (ACRO) - it costs £10"....

[Alternatively] You can request a police certificate from ACRO if you need it for your visa application for:

Australia
Belgium
Canada
New Zealand
South Africa
the USA
It costs either:

£45 to get the certificate in 10 working days
£80 for a 2 day premium service


Am I right in assuming the "subject access request" would be sufficient for a criminal record check and would be notarised by the Consulate? Obviously I'm not applying for a visa for the countries listed
and this is technically for a business work permit. (I realise it's something of a long shot anybody will be able to answer this but I'll ask anyway).

Any replies are greatly appreciated.


"subject access request" would probably suffice, check with Vietnamese consulate to ensure no change to this requirement has occurred before you will arrive in Vietnam!

PDF does not fit Vietnams requirements for a work permit.
Your original degree and transcript are easily procured in the UK. Get originals whilst still in the UK and avoid caveat 1&2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PlushSky



Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action wrote:
PlushSky wrote:
Many thanks to the OP for compiling this highly useful information.


I have a couple of queries with regards to

Quote:
The majority of would-be teachers require at least... a criminal record clearance... And a degree with transcript


1) I no longer have my original degree certificate. What I do have, however, is a PDF from the university where the degree was gained stating:

"To Whom It May Concern:

I am pleased to confirm the following:

Name: *My name*
Award and title: BA (Hons) English Literature
Classification: 2:1
Date of Award: 1st July 2011
Registration Period: September 2008 to July 2011
Mode of Study: Full-time
Mode of Delivery: Face-to-face delivery
Location of Delivery: *My University*
Language of Delivery: English
Language of Assessment: English"

This is signed by the administrator and "letter headed" with the university name, logo and academic registry. I've used this within the UK for job applications without issue.
Would anybody here be able to shed any light on whether the British Consulate in HCMC would notarise this? And if they did, are employers obliged to accept it or can they refuse
it, even if notarised? If this is an issue I can order a replacement degree certificate.

2) In looking to obtain the criminal records clearance, my govt's website https://www.gov.uk/copy-of-police-records states:

Quote:
You have the right to ask for a copy of records the police have about you. This is called a ‘subject access request’.

You might need a subject access request if you move to another country.

A subject access request has records from:

police forces in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey and the Isle of Man
the British Transport Police
You can make a subject access request to the ACRO Criminal Records Office (ACRO) - it costs £10"....

[Alternatively] You can request a police certificate from ACRO if you need it for your visa application for:

Australia
Belgium
Canada
New Zealand
South Africa
the USA
It costs either:

£45 to get the certificate in 10 working days
£80 for a 2 day premium service


Am I right in assuming the "subject access request" would be sufficient for a criminal record check and would be notarised by the Consulate? Obviously I'm not applying for a visa for the countries listed
and this is technically for a business work permit. (I realise it's something of a long shot anybody will be able to answer this but I'll ask anyway).

Any replies are greatly appreciated.


"subject access request" would probably suffice, check with Vietnamese consulate to ensure no change to this requirement has occurred before you will arrive in Vietnam!

PDF does not fit Vietnams requirements for a work permit.
Your original degree and transcript are easily procured in the UK. Get originals whilst still in the UK and avoid caveat 1&2.


Thank you for this Action. I'm able to get a replacement transcript and/or a replacement parchment via my University. They're £35 respectively though. Do you think one or the other would suffice or would I need both?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TRH



Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 336
Location: Hawaii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlushSky wrote:
Thank you for this Action. I'm able to get a replacement transcript and/or a replacement parchment via my University. They're £35 respectively though. Do you think one or the other would suffice or would I need both?
You will want the parchment for your work permit, if for no other reason than the fact that translation costs will be way,way less. Also officials may have a hard time finding that one tiny line on the transcript that shows degree granted. Bring the transcript along if you want to try subject matter teaching at an international school but in that case you can show it to the school untranslated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
PlushSky



Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRH wrote:
You will want the parchment for your work permit, if for no other reason than the fact that translation costs will be way,way less. Also officials may have a hard time finding that one tiny line on the transcript that shows degree granted. Bring the transcript along if you want to try subject matter teaching at an international school but in that case you can show it to the school untranslated.


That settles that then! Thanks for the information TRH.

I emailed the consulate in HCMC about notarising. This is their rather confusing response:

Quote:
At present we are providing Notarial services in Vietnam in respect of degree certificates and police checks but this will be changing later in the year.
You can get your documents legalised in the UK before coming to Vietnam.
First step is to visit https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised to check if the document can be legalised and to apply online for this service.
Second step is to get the documents legalised by the Vietnamese Embassy in London. You can either go in person or send the documents by courier.
If you have already paid the courier fee the UK Legalisation Office will send them directly to the Vietnamese Embassy for you.
Contact the Vietnamese Embassy (email preferable) for further advice about the cost and postal arrangements before you send your documents.
For further information from the Vietnamese Embassy visit: http://vietnamembassy.org.uk/index.php?action=p&ct=Consular%20Services%20for%20UK%20residents#LEGALISATION.


Having done a mock walkthrough of the steps outlined above, it works out like this

Criminal record check: £25
Degree Parchment replacement: £35

Then I visited www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised as instructed. £30 per document. However, on going through the online process, I was stalled at this:

Quote:
Confirm your document is certified
Degree certificate or transcript (UK)


Your degree certificate or transcript (UK) must be certified by either:

a solicitor or notary public in the UK
an official of the British Council (only original certificates)
When the solicitor or notary public signs the document, they must:

have a valid practising certificate
sign the document in the UK
state the action they have taken eg witnessed, certified a copy, confirmed as original
use their personal signature, not a company signature
include the date of certification
include their name and company address
The solicitor or notary public’s signature must be an original, hand-written signature. We can't accept a photocopy or scan of a signature.
Has your document been certified in line with this guidance?


I... I thought the very process I was going through on their website was the certification process.

Anyway, even if they would straightforwardly certify the documents, the advice from the consulate's email is to then send those to the Vietnamese embassy in London to have them then stamp it. There are yet more fees for that service.

I have a feeling this process is being somewhat over complicated. I'll write an email to the Vietnamese embassy asking for clarification.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TRH



Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 336
Location: Hawaii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlushSky wrote:
I'll write an email to the Vietnamese embassy asking for clarification.
Don't expect a reply. Unless you live in the Hebrides, it would be better to take a trip to London.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
PlushSky



Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRH wrote:
PlushSky wrote:
I'll write an email to the Vietnamese embassy asking for clarification.
Don't expect a reply. Unless you live in the Hebrides, it would be better to take a trip to London.


They did reply but it wasn't what I expected to hear:

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

For legalisation, all documents need to be properly notarised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (for United Kingdom), the Department of Foreign Affairs (for Ireland) and the Legalisation Offices in the UK Crown Dependencies (Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man). Documents from UK Overseas Territories (Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Island, Cayman Islands, Gibraltar, Turks and Caicos Islands) must be legalised by the Legalisation Office in the Overseas Territory concerned before being legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Only then will the documents be legalised in turn by the Embassy of Vietnam in London.

You need to submit:

1. Original documents,

2. Legalisation fee which is £35 per document (for collection or posting on the next day) or £40 per document (for collection or posting on the same day). Payment should be in cash, cheque, postal order or bank draft made payable to ‘Embassy of Vietnam’

Please add £10 and a self-addressed envelope if your application is to be sent and returned by post (return would be by Special Delivery).


So, according to the combined advice of the HCMC consulate and the Vietnamese embassy in London, I need to send my degree and criminal record check to the foreign and commonwealth office to be notarised, have the documents returned to me then send them back out to the Vietnamese embassy so they can be "legalised". And all this when the consulate advised to "consult my employer" in Vietnam as to whether the documents themselves would be accepted, which is highly problematic seeing as I'm going to Vietnam to do the CELTA and therefore do not yet have an employer to check this with.

Also:

2 x documents to be notarised at foreign and commonwealth office: £60 plus postage £5.50

2 x documents to be legalised at Viet embassy: £70 plus £10

£145 to verify a couple of official documents are authentic (this is in addition to the £70 I've paid for a degree parchment and criminal record check)... seems I would be better off taking my degree and criminal record check with me to HCMC and have them notarised there. Not sure why the route being advised within the Uk is a two tier authentication process when everyone on this and other forums states you can have documents notarised in one strike once in your TEFL destination.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TRH



Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 336
Location: Hawaii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the whole certification by the VN Embassy routine but with an added step of private notarization then State certification due to our federal system. I used either US Express mail of FEDEX to both go and return so about $70 each time. (I also did the same for marriage documents.) Imagine my chagrin when it came time to use the diploma and TEFL cert and I found what I had failed to notice that the Embassy had certified them but not translated them and that I had to do it all again in HCMC. Also, my FBI certificate had gone more than 6 months before I applied for my Work Permit but fortunately at that time the local police check was still being accepted. It no longer is. Watch out for your 6 month date on your UK criminal check.

Since you are doing the CELTA in VN, you will be certifying that while there so might as well do it all at the same time and place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
tellersquill



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlushSky wrote:
TRH wrote:
PlushSky wrote:
I'll write an email to the Vietnamese embassy asking for clarification.
Don't expect a reply. Unless you live in the Hebrides, it would be better to take a trip to London.


They did reply but it wasn't what I expected to hear:

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

For legalisation, all documents need to be properly notarised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (for United Kingdom), the Department of Foreign Affairs (for Ireland) and the Legalisation Offices in the UK Crown Dependencies (Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man). Documents from UK Overseas Territories (Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Island, Cayman Islands, Gibraltar, Turks and Caicos Islands) must be legalised by the Legalisation Office in the Overseas Territory concerned before being legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Only then will the documents be legalised in turn by the Embassy of Vietnam in London.

You need to submit:

1. Original documents,

2. Legalisation fee which is £35 per document (for collection or posting on the next day) or £40 per document (for collection or posting on the same day). Payment should be in cash, cheque, postal order or bank draft made payable to ‘Embassy of Vietnam’

Please add £10 and a self-addressed envelope if your application is to be sent and returned by post (return would be by Special Delivery).


So, according to the combined advice of the HCMC consulate and the Vietnamese embassy in London, I need to send my degree and criminal record check to the foreign and commonwealth office to be notarised, have the documents returned to me then send them back out to the Vietnamese embassy so they can be "legalised". And all this when the consulate advised to "consult my employer" in Vietnam as to whether the documents themselves would be accepted, which is highly problematic seeing as I'm going to Vietnam to do the CELTA and therefore do not yet have an employer to check this with.

Also:

2 x documents to be notarised at foreign and commonwealth office: £60 plus postage £5.50

2 x documents to be legalised at Viet embassy: £70 plus £10

£145 to verify a couple of official documents are authentic (this is in addition to the £70 I've paid for a degree parchment and criminal record check)... seems I would be better off taking my degree and criminal record check with me to HCMC and have them notarised there. Not sure why the route being advised within the Uk is a two tier authentication process when everyone on this and other forums states you can have documents notarised in one strike once in your TEFL destination.


Yes, pretty much everyone just got there's notarised in hcmc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China