Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HAKA/Aramco Interviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BritishTeacher1985

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdurian wrote:
BritishTeacher1985 wrote:
Thanks for all your input guys - especially those who have been there and done it.

Can anyone tell me what techniques you did use in an attempt to motivate them so that they were able to engage a little?

I've worked in two very different settings in Saudi. One in an international school, and the other in a military setting which is where I am now. However, there are certain things that they have in common regarding motivation of the students.

Disclaimer: this has been my experience, other people probably think I'm talking rubbish.

Be motivated yourself. By this I mean care about your students' progress. You can't expect them to care if you don't either.

Make them respect you, as a teacher, and a person. By this I mean that you should know your stuff. If they can see that you do actually know what you're talking about, they will respond to that, and I'm often surprised by what I get back.
And as a person, I mean that you shouldn't be going into class hungover. You should also set a good example about how to live your life. If they see you as someone to look up to, this can work.

Take an interest in them. Learn about where they're from, what they like to do. Show an interest however alien what they do may seem to you.

I also use a lot of humour in class. Saudis don't like serious, so if you can crack a few jokes as you go along, it makes your day a lot better too. It helps if you can be relaxed. Saudis are very friendly and sociable people. I haven't come across any animosity in class, even when I've had to do things that will have repercussions for the students.

Be strict. Have rules, and follow them to the letter. Make sure they know that if they step out of line there will be consequences. This is especially true in a military setting where they're going to get punished or lose points.

So for me, all of these things combined work for me, and I like to think I get good results. Most of my time teaching here has been a lot of fun and I've enjoyed it. But that 10-20%(whatever the figure is) that wasn't, would be up there with some of my worst ever experiences. Teaching officers would be in there.

But at the end of the day, I get paid very well. Saved 30K GBP last year with out even trying, and your don't get that in some school in China, Columbia, or Vietnam...... Smile

Nice positive words, Good to know the are positive experiences too. I agree with those points as they have worked for me before. Building rapport has always been my strength.

I hope you are able to save even more next year! I can only presume you're at one of the oil/aviation type companies (no names mentioned).

If you're a an 'SMP', then even better in terms of sayings potential.

All the best
Londonlover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
In fact that the new MA is via distance learning and really good value compared to the cost of other post-graduate study at £1570 per annual.

So as you can see I like the variation and hopefully will also have the option some day to dip into teaching on a Linguistics programme at undergraduate level. These quals are all active for me and not just a point of getting degrees for the sake of it.

FYI: The governments of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain (and possibly the UAE) do not recognize qualifying degrees and credentials that include coursework studied via distance learning/online. See http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=115564 -- the most recent discussion about this issue.

Yes, I'm aware of this but I'm keeping my options open in terms of where I would like to teach. Nice to have thr option even though I may never venture overseas for work again.

Well, you are closing down your options in the Gulf with this distance learning Master's.
It sounds as though money is the main motivator for you going to Saudi/the Gulf to work (as it is for the vast majority of people who certainly don't go for the "teaching" - quotation marks used advisedly)
You will get a job that pays you really decent money with several years of post MA TESOL/Applied Linguistics experience (so you would be talking another 5 years or so down the line in your case). Furthermore and this is key, such a qualification if done distance learning/electronically will have absolutely zero value and your applications will be immediately rejected in virtually all Gulf countries. There is no way around the fact that you will have to do this Master's on campus/Face-to-Face if you want to use this specific qualification to get a job in these particular countries
BritishTeacher1985

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, I'm not one to put all my eggs in one basket and for me, the PhD will qualify as the highest qualification which was not a distance learning degree neither was the CELTA. Therefore, if I am shortlisted for roles, then that's the first hurdle complete. Time will tell, I managed to get shortlisted this time which surprised me slightly as I still have a few more months to go before I submit the thesis.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdurian wrote:

Be motivated yourself. By this I mean care about your students' progress. You can't expect them to care if you don't either.

Take an interest in them. Learn about where they're from, what they like to do. Show an interest however alien what they do may seem to you.

I also use a lot of humour in class. Saudis don't like serious, so if you can crack a few jokes as you go along, it makes your day a lot better too. It helps if you can be relaxed. Saudis are very friendly and sociable people. I haven't come across any animosity in class, even when I've had to do things that will have repercussions for the students.

Be strict. Have rules, and follow them to the letter. Make sure they know that if they step out of line there will be consequences. This is especially true in a military setting where they're going to get punished or lose points.

This has been the polar opposite of what I dealt with but then again I may have done some things not up to snuff either. Bluntly, when I saw my motivation and efforts at caring weren't given back or subverted against me, my empathy towards the glorified children in class vanished completely.

Not saying you're wrong. In fact, I think you're on point. I'm just placing this to say that this is easier said than done and provide some food for thought towards anyone considering the Kingdom.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
bigdurian wrote:

This has been the polar opposite of what I dealt with but then again I may have done some things not up to snuff either. Bluntly, when I saw my motivation and efforts at caring weren't given back or subverted against me, my empathy towards the glorified children in class vanished completely.

Not saying you're wrong. In fact, I think you're on point. I'm just placing this to say that this is easier said than done and provide some food for thought towards anyone considering the Kingdom.

Well I have probably been lucky with the students I've had. I know everyone's experience is different.

Teaching officers is an absolute nightmare. The worst going. Walking on egg shells all day long.

But the enlisted men are okay.

But I definitely believe that having a good rapport with them makes your life easier. Anything to make the day go quicker in fact.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, I'm not one to put all my eggs in one basket and for me, the PhD will qualify as the highest qualification which was not a distance learning degree neither was the CELTA. Therefore, if I am shortlisted for roles, then that's the first hurdle complete. Time will tell, I managed to get shortlisted this time which surprised me slightly as I still have a few more months to go before I submit the thesis.

I am guessing (others might know better) that your PhD in Education also might not secure you the best type of Gulf jobs. (though of course people can get some Gulf jobs even with bachelor level and CELTA)
The best jobs want the MA TESOL done on campus. The fact you do not have this specific qualification and done through this mode of learning might explain your unsuccessful interviews with places like Aramco. You are competing with people far more relevantly qualified. If you are serious about these Saudi jobs for the future, you know what qualification you need and how you need to study it. If you do your MA TESOL distance learning it will not benefit you AT ALL for Saudi jobs- so pointless doing it if you specifically want to work there.
siologen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: re: agree... Reply with quote

Quote:
You are competing with people far more relevantly qualified. If you are serious about these Saudi jobs for the future, you know what qualification you need and how you need to study it. If you do your MA TESOL distance learning it will not benefit you AT ALL for Saudi jobs- so pointless doing it if you specifically want to work there.

EDITED .

Last edited by siologen on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: re: agree... Reply with quote

siologen wrote:
Someone with a MA done online won't be as well regarded as someone with a BA in English and X amount of years done in the gulf. Experience counts as well, not just a endless string of papers to your name.

Forget about being "well regarded"; an MA TESOL with online coursework is simply not accepted. In other words, it will get the job seeker's employment visa application denied. By the way, there are MA TESOL holders with a fair amount of Mid East experience as well.
BritishTeacher1985

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough guys, I accept. It's becoming increasingly difficult to get a job in the ME with a big company without any experience of teaching in the country.

Therefore, it is best to have the recommended qualifications to have a realistic chance at making a move.
BritishTeacher1985

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an option of studying an MA in TESOL locally, on a part-time basis (campus based).

There is no applied linguistics element here. Do you think this will be a better alternative or is the MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL more suitable? I would have to travel quite far for part-time study for the Applied Linguistics version, but the first one I mention is local.

Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an option of studying an MA in TESOL locally, on a part-time basis (campus based).

There is no applied linguistics element here. Do you think this will be a better alternative or is the MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL more suitable?

Don't overthink it; follow the requirements per the job postings.

Keep in mind that salaries have been declining over the past 5 or so years. What you see being offered now may not be the case once you finish your education and gain experience.
BritishTeacher1985

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually, it looks as if I'll need to study towards a taught version of TESOL. There is a BA Linguistics and TESOL course offered in a UK institution where I am more likely to get partial support with funding and study on a part-time basis.

My question is, will the BA still be considered again an MA.

Bearing in mind, I'll have completed a PhD (Education), CELTA and already posses a generic MA in Social Sciences, plus experience teaching EFL, ESOL and EAP.

Your thoughts....
siologen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: re: OK then Reply with quote

Quote:
Forget about being "well regarded"; an MA TESOL with online coursework is simply not accepted. In other words, it will get the job seeker's employment visa application denied. By the way, there are MA TESOL holders with a fair amount of Mid East experience as well.

OK then "not accepted", is that acceptable to you now?
Londonlover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no applied linguistics element here. Do you think this will be a better alternative or is the MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL more suitable? I would have to travel quite far for part-time study for the Applied Linguistics version, but the first one I mention is local.

Thanks

An MA TESOL and an MA Applied Linguistics are to all intents and purposes the same qualifications that will both readily be acceptable for Gulf jobs if you look at advert requirements that get posted for these jobs. My MA is the former, a friend's MA is in the latter and the content is extremely similar (and these are from different U.K. universities). The only content difference might be a slightly greater emphasis on classroom contexts in the former, but not necessarily.
So to answer your question an MA TESOL should be perfectly fine- just make sure you attend on campus and you take NO distance learning/online modules. I believe ANY distance learning/online at all will get your application for Gulf jobs disqualified. From what I understand the Saudi authorities double check with the British university registrars to specifically confirm that the student attended all the Master's course face-to-face and no modules were done online/ by distance - and they check despite the fact the mode of instruction may not even be stated on the actual Master's certificate you will receive.

Last edited by Londonlover on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
BritishTeacher1985

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of research and phone calls this morning, I prefer the MA in TESOL (taught version) or perhaps a DELTA.

Got some thinking to do, but the distance version certainly seems like a waste to some degree, especially I want to work in the ME and compete with other candidates for the more 'lucrative' jobs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: