Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Does An English Teacher Get Ahead Financially in Japan?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: How Does An English Teacher Get Ahead Financially in Japan? Reply with quote

Do you think it's hard to make and keep money in Japan these days?

Major language schools recruit teachers from abroad using job fairs. Making sure there is a large supply of ESL teachers means they'll never feel pressured to raise salaries above the 250,000 yen / month typical salary (which remains unchanged as far back as 20 years ago).

As the same time, some prices have gone up over the years. The worst for me is health insurance. 20 years ago, I got full coverage (100% on medical treatment and even medications) from a private insurer, Yasuda Insurance company for about 8000 yen / month.

Then, I came back to Japan 4 years ago and found out the Japanese gov. won't allow anybody to buy private health insurance. You have to buy national health insurance.

Mine started at 14,800 yen / month and then the next year shot up to 33,200 yen / month because I worked extra hard the previous year and make a higher salary.

So, national health insurance is more like a tax as your cost will be based on a percentage of last year's salary.

What do you do to maintain a decent income with high national health insurance and residential tax eating away at it? Get a roommate and share the rent?
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALT salaries haven't just stayed the same for twenty years. They've dropped. There are job ads out for full time ALTs making far less than 250 a month these days (9-5 mon thru fri is now considered a "benefit"). Some experienced ALTs are now looking at moving to teaching at eikaiwa because they can earn more money than with a dispatch company.

How do you get ahead? Live in a 1k if you have to. In the middle of nowhere. NEVER go out, except for obligatory work functions. Don't drink alcohol. Find out and eat the types of things that Japanese people who are lower middle class or lower eat (this isn't cup noodles, and hint: you will likely always feel a bit hungry).

Get a masters degree in language teaching, move out of the middle of nowhere to close to somewhere, join JALT (meet people), publish papers, do presentations at conferences, start teaching part time at unis. Teach at a bunch of unis and run around all the time to support yourself. Get a full time job at a uni. Continue to save. Keep it up until you can't find a full time job at a university any more. Go back to teaching part time at universities while running around all over the place.

There are NET (Native English Teacher) jobs that pay more than 250 a month. You generally need to have higher qualifications than just a BA and a certificate from Aunt Sally's TESOL Boutique, a bunch of experience at the junior senior high level (being more than a human tape recorder) and passable Japanese. There are head teacher / manager positions at eikaiwa that pay more than 250. I think they also usually require higher qualifications than just a BA and maybe a TESOL certificate from Aunt Sally's TESOL boutique and will require significant experience as well.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go somewhere else, like to Korea, China or Vietnam.
Just too many teachers in Kanto.
Harp

Location: As far north as you can get, before you hit Saitama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eikaiwa and ALT teaching are pretty much entry level jobs in Japan, that's not to denigrate them in any way, they are a tried and trusted route into working in Japan which many, me included, have followed.

But what you really need to ask is, "how do I move from a low paying entry level job to a better paying mid-career job?"

It's the same anywhere in the world in any profession:
- get more experience
- improve your qualifications
- always be on the look out for improved posts
- network if you cam
- volunteer if you can, no telling who you'll meet
- look for opportunities outside your current sphere i.e. don't just look for more English teaching jobs
- keep at it and hope for a little bit of good timing/luck

Also for English teaching in Japan:
- improve your Japanese
- get involved in JALT etc
- publish
- build up privates
- start with the odd part-time university job
- if you're at an eikaiwa look at moving up the ladder (you don't have to stay in it, but some supervisory experience on your resume is better than not having it when looking for other jobs)
- don't keep banging on about things you can't control, like health insurance

That's my tuppence worth anyway...
Jmbf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harp wrote:
Eikaiwa and ALT teaching are pretty much entry level jobs in Japan, that's not to denigrate them in any way, they are a tried and trusted route into working in Japan which many, me included, have followed.

But what you really need to ask is, "how do I move from a low paying entry level job to a better paying mid-career job?"

- get more experience
- always be on the look out for improved posts
- network if you cam
- volunteer if you can, no telling who you'll meet
- look for opportunities outside your current sphere i.e. don't just look for more English teaching jobs
- keep at it and hope for a little bit of good timing/luck

- improve your Japanese
- publish
- build up privates
- start with the odd part-time university job
- if you're at an eikaiwa look at moving up the ladder (you don't have to stay in it, but some supervisory experience on your resume is better than not having it when looking for other jobs)
- don't keep banging on about things you can't control, like health insurance

That's my tuppence worth anyway...

+1 and well said. I wish more people would follow this common sense advice rather than blaming all their problems on anything and everything except themselves. I was talking with some teachers the other day who were bitterly complaining that their income hadn't increased over the last 5-10 years. I asked them, had they done anything to improve their qualifications? Had they tried to take on more responsibilities at work? Network? Find some private students? There answers were no, no, no and no. Well, what do they expect then?
Miura Anjin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Harp and Jmbf. There are plenty of things that can be done to improve one's situation, but it's easy to get stuck into a routine, which may eventually become a rut - I've met several people in that situation too.

Quote:
Just too many teachers in Kanto.

There are jobs outside Kanto too, though.
kzjohn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harp wrote:

Excellent suggestions, and I'd only qualify this one to become:

- get involved in one (or two) of the JALT SIGs, etc.

JALT is too big and amorphous to get anything out of. Go for a SIG or two and try to make hay on that.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kzjohn wrote:

JALT is too big and amorphous to get anything out of. Go for a SIG or two and try to make hay on that.

+1
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do these things but the pie is shrinking and I think there are more teachers than before and there will be fewer students.

Places like Berlitz can pay well but you have to put in the time.

Be ready to move to another part of Japan, but then you have to pay for it.
Network since it is who you know can lead to your next job.
Many jobs are not advertised.
Keep learning Japanese. Take a test. You fail? So what? Take it again.
Get out and meet people. Frankly going to a bar with other teachers can help since you can find out about jobs.

Turnover is less than before.

As you get older it does not get easier. When you are younger, employers will cut you some slack. In your 40s you must try harder.

Even getting part-time university work is competitive. I was looking at a couple places recently. A couple wanted teachers with a PhD, and the others wanted publications, but at least three just based on research.
Some jobs are advertised in Japanese.

It used to be just a BA was enough. Now just a MA is not enough. You always have to have something extra for your next employer.

Applying for jobs is like buying a lottery ticket. Expect to lose, but do not stop looking for work.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Mitsui is referring to ALT, Eikaiwa, and university jobs.

There are occasionally jobs at private Junior High Schools, and private Senior High Schools. Some of these may offer tenure after a few years, and something long term and stable with a middling salary at first which gradually goes up overtime. The salary won't be as high a full time university position, but will be much better than eikaiwa or ALT work.

The downside to looking for these jobs is you likely do need an MA and some previous experience in Japan and some experience working with either junior high kids or senior high kids. The competition for these jobs is high with lots of applicants, and being the right fit may mean people with more like professor profiles (PhD with publications) would be overlooked as wrongly qualified.

These jobs tend to demand a lot of hours even though the number of instructional hours is 16-18 a week including 3 Saturday mornings a month. As such, you have a lot of desk time to work on your blog or write that dream book you always planned.

These types of jobs for savings are better to find in a smaller town.

Just my 2 or 3 yen worth!
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really agree. These jobs tend to be limited.
Pay can be good but there is a bit of work, if you have to run a club, go abroad with the students or just do a lot of things.

The 5 year rule seems to be in force, since it is a way for schools to save money, by hiring younger teachers who are cheaper.
Sudz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the private school. Many do offer raises - and some eventually offer a tenured position - while others will hire someone new after 3-5 years.

From my limited time doing it, it's definitely a significant upgrade from an ALT/eikawia position (though I guess a direct hire ALT can do fairly well). I do agree that they often require a lot (at times, too much)
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those where tenure is possible, N2 in Japanese is needed.
At some a license is needed. It depends on the prefecture.
Some are quite demanding. Osaka and Hyogo require a lot.
Private schools have some leeway.
kzjohn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

Harp wrote:
- improve your Japanese
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: