Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Nottingham, Ningbo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geronimo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachers applying to the UNNC should consider whether to bid for a 40 week fractional contract or the full year one. Several current staff prefer the extra time away in summer to the extra salary.
Sudz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got my MA TESOL through Nottingham (Malaysia). Despite not having any university teaching experience, I do have quite a bit of academic teaching experience (mainly IELTS). Wondering how this might fare.

Also, does the full-time position offer much in the way of holiday time?
Wicked Stepmother

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IELTS teaching and EAP teaching are not quite the same - the latter is a lot more in-depth. There is a great deal that an IELTS course does not cover, such as referencing and formal academic language. The point is, unless you have EAP rather than IELTS experience, you will be less favoured. By the way, if you are an IELTS examiner and want to continue that, Nottingham Ningbo are a bit sniffy about you doing it. As far as CELE is concerned, IELTS examining is a distraction from the job.
As to the full time contract, you do get weeks of holiday, but have considerably less than those on a fractional contract. You are expected to be on campus and are given assignments. For instance, there are pre-departure classes, pre-sessional classes and there was a business English course run for a company when I was there. Also, courses have to be updated and new assessment materials written. You are kept busy. However, you will not have more contact time with students than normal.
Sudz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for filling me in.

I'm curious as to whether anyone feels overworked there? Being busy is fine, but 50+ hour work weeks are something I'd like to steer away from.
China2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Ningbo and IELTS examining Reply with quote

I didn't think there was any more part time IELTS examining left in China anywhere. I thought IELTS examining is now carried out by BC full timers...
Wicked Stepmother

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ningbo and IELTS examining Reply with quote

China2 wrote:
I didn't think there was any more part time IELTS examining left in China anywhere. I thought IELTS examining is now carried out by BC full timers...

This was the situation a few years back at Nottingham, and since then I guess the IELTS examining employment has changed. So you are probably right and it is no longer an issue. Thanks for the correction.
CKM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recent/up to date info on Nottingham...in terms of working conditions? (I noticed that they were advertising for a new director (language centre) recently)
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I applied.
How long would I have to wait before I hear anything?
I assume that the references are contacted first.
Wicked Stepmother

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your references if they have been contacted, and if yes, whether they replied.
Elicit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wicked Stepmother wrote:

when I was there.

Could I be so bold as to ask why you decided that it was time to move on?
HeidiHector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Senior Course Tutor Reply with quote

Trying to bump this thread while asking about a recent job ad at this school.

I came across this job ad:

MOD EDIT

which lists the STARTING salary of RMB 440,370, which is ~$68k / GBP 49K / 56K E with a high of RMB 525,825 per annum. Shocked Shocked Shocked

I remember I caused a bit of a stir by suggesting that an ESL/EFL professional with a few years of experience and an MA should command a starting salary of mid-to-high-300K RMB, with many saying that the number is simply delusional, even though that's what my actual experience has been, so I am understandably very intrigued and would appreciate it if anyone from the Ningbo area (or, even better, from Nottingham-Ningbo) could enlighten us on this.

Am I misreading the ad or something? Does this package include the housing stipend and that's why it looks much bigger than the actual? I mean, I get that it's a "senior" position, but the starting is 50% higher than most other posts I have come across.

Thanks much for any insights!

Last edited by HeidiHector on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elicit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Housing is not included in the base salary given. There are also other benefits like travel, relocation etc..

Judging by recent experience, competition is high for positions and staff turnover is low. The turnover comment may not be applicable to the Language Centre Director role as managing a large number of frisky EAP teachers is only for the brave or 🤪
The bear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Senior Course Tutor Reply with quote

HeidiHector wrote:

MOD EDIT

which lists the STARTING salary of RMB 440,370, which is ~$68k / GBP 49K / 56K E with a high of RMB 525,825 per annum. Shocked Shocked Shocked

I saw that job advert too. It's starting salary for Senior Course Tutor, not a 'regular' teacher. They'll have management responsibilities as well.

Still, it's a great salary! But just not an average 'English teaching' job.
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: University of Nottingham, Ningbo Reply with quote

JB140767 wrote:
19000 Fractional contract, 28000 fulltime - hours are essentially 9-5 and its basically a full time position like back home - free apartment, very easy to bus it into the city, no need for a car. Ningbo is a sterile kinda place tho, no soul. There are better deals available, but a helluva lot worse ones too

For someone interested in university teaching in China, I have been wondering about the better deals available.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: