Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary range
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dano1983



Joined: 01 Feb 2017
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Salary range Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I know it might have been discussed before but I just want a clear cut figure as possible Very Happy

Is 20-26k a month (includes housing and flights) sounds like an acceptable range for an assistant professor ? I have feeling this actually should be the base (excluding housing and flights) Rolling Eyes L
Am I right?
What is the reasonable/acceptable offer for assistant professor with experience in ME?

Thank you Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shakhbut



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz

Last edited by Shakhbut on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dano1983



Joined: 01 Feb 2017
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you .. I knew it lol

No I am not desperate Smile so what would be an acceptable range?

Also, how the rent deposit works? does the employer pay in advance or do employees write cheques?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 10957
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dano1983 wrote:
How the rent deposit works? does the employer pay in advance or do employees write cheques?

If rent is included in your salary, you're fully responsible for all housing-related costs (up front) to the landlord.

I suggest you stick with job opportunities that include employer-provided housing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shakhbut



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by Shakhbut on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonpiwo



Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Posts: 1534
Location: Berlin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I just got a rent increase of 5% having had a fee added of 5% last November. If I were to arrive here new, I'd have to fork out 81k in rent, 5k deposit, 1k for ADDC, 750 for ac deposit, then furniture and car rental. That's a lot of money.

I don't have an MA and my salary is more than the top end of your offer.

The Gulf is about money. I'm only here because my long-term job got disrupted by a war, which hasn't finished yet Smile and might not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dano1983



Joined: 01 Feb 2017
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
I suggest you stick with job opportunities that include employer-provided housing.

Yep 👍 it is the right thing to do
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dano1983



Joined: 01 Feb 2017
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakhbut wrote:
What Nomad Soul said.
Are you single? If so, 26K per month wouldn't be bad, really, if you came with some cash. Flat-share (or get a cheap studio somewhere) for a while, live frugally, it's doable, I guess.
Live like a monk and you'll come out ahead...eventually Smile


Not single and have children .. what I read and your answers make me feel this offer is an insult Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dano1983



Joined: 01 Feb 2017
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I just got a rent increase of 5% having had a fee added of 5% last November. If I were to arrive here new, I'd have to fork out 81k in rent, 5k deposit, 1k for ADDC, 750 for ac deposit, then furniture and car rental. That's a lot of money.

I don't have an MA and my salary is more than the top end of your offer.

The Gulf is about money. I'm only here because my long-term job got disrupted by a war, which hasn't finished yet Smile and might not.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
AC deposit?? What is that ? My goodness 😱 If I have this money I wouldn't even consider going there ..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonpiwo



Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Posts: 1534
Location: Berlin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Not being funny but what is your nationality/ethnicity?

School fees cost a fortune here btw.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dano1983



Joined: 01 Feb 2017
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Not being funny but what is your nationality/ethnicity?

School fees cost a fortune here btw.


Does my nationality/ethnicity have anything to do with salary? Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 10957
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dano1983 wrote:
Is 20-26k a month (includes housing and flights) sounds like an acceptable range for an assistant professor ?
....
What is the reasonable/acceptable offer for assistant professor with experience in ME?

Apparently, that salary range is stated in a job posting and is not in an actual job offer that was extended to you. In other words, you haven't yet applied or been interviewed.

This is an assistant professorship at what university and for what degree program? You also didn't mention your qualifications/experience, so it's hard to ascertain what range of salary you might get.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonpiwo



Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Posts: 1534
Location: Berlin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

It can matter, yes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dano1983



Joined: 01 Feb 2017
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Apparently, that salary range is stated in a job posting and is not in an actual job offer that was extended to you. In other words, you haven't yet applied or been interviewed.


And how did you assume that?? I applied, been interviewed and it is actually an offer that been forwarded to me.

nomad soul wrote:
This is an assistant professorship at what university and for what degree program? You also didn't mention your qualifications/experience, so it's hard to ascertain what range of salary you might get.


I thought you are only eligible to apply for assistant professor if you have a PhD.. so to answer your question, I have PhD with 8 years teaching experience... It stated that the offer is confidential so legally I can't name the university
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 10957
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dano1983 wrote:
Not single and have children ..

Dano1983 wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
Apparently, that salary range is stated in a job posting and is not in an actual job offer that was extended to you. In other words, you haven't yet applied or been interviewed.

And how did you assume that?? I applied, been interviewed and it is actually an offer that been forwarded to me.

My assumption was based on the salary range you stated. It's odd your job offer indicates 20,000 - 26,000 AED as opposed to one specific figure, unless the hours you're expected to work will greatly fluctuate each month. I doubt that's the case, so you might want to ask the recruiter why the salary was presented as a range.

Dano1983 wrote:
I thought you are only eligible to apply for assistant professor if you have a PhD.. so to answer your question, I have PhD with 8 years teaching experience... It stated that the offer is confidential so legally I can't name the university

It's unclear what degree program you'd be teaching in. (You previously said your doctorate is related to medicine.) Regardless, it's hard to gauge what you should get since it doesn't appear you'd be teaching EFL, academic writing, or teacher education.

You mentioned you're married and have dependent children. Tuition costs for school-aged children are high. Plus, as you're aware, salaries in the ME have been declining. Have you looked into positions in East and Southeast Asia? It might be worth exploring in terms of salaries and family-friendly benefits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China