Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oldest You Can Apply for Jobs ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwtefl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Oldest You Can Apply for Jobs ? Reply with quote

Hi

I am 45 - what is the oldest the places in the ME take people ? I'm talking Saudi/UAE/Bahrain/Kuwait really.

Although I'm teaching in the UK, I know that the work can disappear quickly, yet I'm also aware of my age in terms of applying for ME jobs.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it varies a bit by country, employer, and your CV (extensive Gulf experience?), but once you reach 55, it starts to get tough.

VS
nwtefl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there a cut off point? Realistically, would any employer (And I'm talking college, university not language school) hire someone new at 60? Example: extensive HE experience in the UK but no ME experience.

Btw, I haven't posted in here for over a year and I'm pretty sure you were active on these forums then too!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwtefl wrote:
So is there a cut off point? Realistically, would any employer (And I'm talking college, university not language school) hire someone new at 60?

Not likely. The mid-50s tends to be the cut-off age in terms of recruitment. Plus, there's no guarantee degrees with online credit will be accepted 10-15 years from now. Nor can anyone predict if native English-speakers will still be in high demand.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwtefl wrote:
Realistically, would any employer (And I'm talking college, university not language school) hire someone new at 60? Example: extensive HE experience in the UK but no ME experience.

Highly unlikely... the exception would be someone with a related MA and 10-15 years of teaching in Gulf universities... who probably already has contacts in the university... management and/or faculties.

That would be right now. No one can tell you what the situation will be in 15 years.
nwtefl wrote:
Btw, I haven't posted in here for over a year and I'm pretty sure you were active on these forums then too!

I've been active here since Dave's came online... in the mid-1990's. LOL

VS
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only really speak from my own experiences, but, many of the teachers I worked with in Oman, who were over 55, said that their options in the Gulf had become limited. This is at a time of life when, of course, a lot of people need to think seriously about their retirement and, if they had a job, they tended to just stay put.

The situation for those about to turn 60, or were already over it, was even worse and I personally couldn't help but feel sorry for a lot of them. Many of my older colleagues took on extra duties that nobody else wanted, for the same pay, because, I guess, they hoped that they would become too valuable to retrench. It didn't work. In the year I left, all the CAS teachers who were 60, or over, were not renewed. This affected a handful of people at my college, but, across Oman, I'd imagine it would have worked out to be a fairly large number. I thought it was sad, especially considering that many of those let go were contributing more than a lot of the younger staff, they'd been there for years, they wanted to stay and they were still perfectly capable of doing the job Sad.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were these direct hire teachers or under contractors? Thus far, direct hire teachers have been allowed to stay as long as they could handle their job and were healthy. (I know a few who are at SQU and some private universities who are well over 60) It doesn't surprise me that the contractors would dump older teachers who are probably on higher pay...

VS
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Were these direct hire teachers or under contractors?

At least at my old college, both. However, in the CAS system, the Ministry/direct hire employees typically have longer contracts (two years, as opposed to one). If the direct hire was 60 or over and their contract hadn't expired yet then they were allowed to stay on until 2017.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late-50s is when you have to forget about new jobs. Get in to a position before then and some places may let you stay. Saudi Arabian Airlines were ruthless in terminating people at age 60 Hegira (58 and a bit Gregorian) At KFUPM we were often kept on when we passed 60 - provided we still had our marbles and could actually do the job.

But things change. The rule is that the rules are fuzzy.

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord T

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PYP at KFUPM has teachers who are, shall we say, well into their 60's.
I know one guy there who is 66 this year.

When you think about it, why not? After all, would you refuse to read a scholarly article because its author was over 60?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tendency at KFUPM is increasingly to "discourage" those over 60 from staying. There was a time when the place was stowed out with real oldtimers. Not now. Any medical "issues" and you are out. Any complaints from students about a teacher's competence will be listened to and may be acted on.

It is still one of the better place to work - if you are reduced to that in your dotage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: