Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What documents should you travel with?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lifemagic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: What documents should you travel with? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm currently volunteer teaching in Cambodia and finish at the end of March when I intend to look for a teaching job, hoping for Japan or China, will consider anywhere in the region.
I have with me good quality colour copies of my qualifications, i.e. bsc hons (Open University) and Celta (Apollo, Vietnam). The originals are in the UK, but I've got to have a new credit card sent out to me so could ask my neice to include what I might need. Can I avoid traveling around with the originals, like geting certified or notarised or legalized or whateverized copies?
My main goal at this point is to be able to get work visas and never going to Europe again. Thanks for any info.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifemagic wrote:
I'm currently volunteer teaching in Cambodia and finish at the end of March when I intend to look for a teaching job, hoping for Japan or China, will consider anywhere in the region.
Can I avoid traveling around with the originals, like geting certified or notarised or legalized or whateverized copies? My main goal at this point is to be able to get work visas and never going to Europe again.

I suggest asking this question on those specific country forums. There's no one-size-fits-all visa situation that covers your target countries. Plus, visa regs can/do change.
creeper1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth I have mine with me. I didn't leave them at home.

However I only supplied electronic copies to employers and they accepted that.

Another thing you might want to bring depending on where you are applying to is an envelope of sealed transcripts.
lifemagic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to my university about transcripts last night, they told me I just login and print them off the computer. But they also told me I can buy a duplicate certificate with a hologram on.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most of the region.... especially the larger markets:

Degree (original or university issued duplicate).
Self printed color copies won't cut it for most places.

University issued transcripts (often refereed to as "official transcripts" on security paper or signed and sealed) or university issued letter (with seal and signature) to confirm graduation and degree.

Police clearance (ACRO since you are from the UK).
Disclosure Scotland will also suffice for most cases.

lifemagic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Do I need to get any of this notarised? I ask because where I am now (Cambodia) some lady came on our facebook teachers forum asking if there was any uk solicitor that could notarise her degree (this was for a Chinese Z visa), but she ended up spending hundreds on a uk based firm.

So I keep tryjng to understand the process for different countries. One thing I read wa once it's notarised, for example, to use it in China, you then have it legzlised as the Chinese embassy in London... which is out the question.

How about thr Celta, as I know there ceftificates are never replaceable? Would a certified colour copy be OK, notarised or not?

I know that employers often don't ask for this stuff, it's more visa related,
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifemagic wrote:
Thank you.

Do I need to get any of this notarised? I ask because where I am now (Cambodia) some lady came on our facebook teachers forum asking if there was any uk solicitor that could notarise her degree (this was for a Chinese Z visa), but she ended up spending hundreds on a uk based firm.

So I keep tryjng to understand the process for different countries. One thing I read wa once it's notarised, for example, to use it in China, you then have it legzlised as the Chinese embassy in London... which is out the question.

How about thr Celta, as I know there ceftificates are never replaceable? Would a certified colour copy be OK, notarised or not?

I know that employers often don't ask for this stuff, it's more visa related,

For your degree getting an apostille from the FCO may be necessary OR having it notarized OR an affidavit of authenticity sworn at your embassy and then legalized by the embassy of the country you want to work in. There is no "standard". Each country has its own processes for acceptance of documents.

Bring the CELTA with you if you want to work in China. The employer may be fine with a copy but immigration or an embassy issuing a work visa may (likely will) want to see the original if it is a visa requirement.

Places like Cambodia and Myanmar are still pretty lose with documents and what they will/won't accept but as you move into larger EFL markets you can expect more strict requirements for documentation if you want to work with a proper visa and permits.

MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take everything everywhere and take hard and soft copies of everything.
lifemagic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

I'm ordering a basic disclosure today, and a replacement degree tomorrow. My niece is going to ask the cost of notarization. I'm hoping to end up with

1 - Notarised degree 'original replacement with hologram'
2 - Notarised disclosure
3 - Notarised certified copy of Celta. I know.. but, I don't want that with me.
4 - Original transcript certified and signed by the university.

If I get a job offer, then I can legalize them at the embassy here (as I want to put my niece to as little trouble as possible), i.e. my embassy and the target country.

So... that's a reasonable plan, right? Thanks for the replies.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the countries you're interested in right now that looks ok although the CELTA copy may be refused by the visa issuing authorities. For some othe countries (think ME) you may need much more. I was asked for copies of my A levels in Oman!
lifemagic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Celta is a bit of a dilemma. The thing is, I've notice the posts of a couple of people who lost that certificate and Cambridge will only reissue a statement of grades of something. I just wouldn't sleep if I was traveling round with it.

Thankfully, not interested in ME.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifemagic wrote:
Yeah, the Celta is a bit of a dilemma. The thing is, I've notice the posts of a couple of people who lost that certificate and Cambridge will only reissue a statement of grades of something.

The statement of "grades of something" is an official document from Cambridge English confirming the grade you received for the CELTA. Since you're anxious about carrying your original CELTA cert around, a notarized copy and an original certifying statement from Cambridge that you passed the exam would likely suffice.
CTravel32

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Diploma(s) and degree(s)
-Transcript
-Passport
-Original copies of recommendation letters (at least 3, I have 6 and soon to be 7)
-A professional photo (although I guess it can be just digital too)
-A few copies of your resume
-A few copies of your cover letter
(For those last two, you never know, I have been asked for hard copies, on occasion. One employer even admitted to misplacing my resume in a face to face interview)
-criminal background check (some countries require it)
-I even have an 1 and 1/2 page essay stating my philosophy on teaching. That has come in handy once or twice.
-A copy of at least one month worth of weekly planning and a weeks worth of daily planning and maybe even a semester planner. A few employers have been impressed that I had that with me.
-A photo or two that might be able to depict how you tend to set up your classroom (how the class is arranged)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: