Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opening Your Own School

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNexpatesl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Opening Your Own School Reply with quote

Greetings. I'm wondering how feasible it would be to open one's own school in Saigon or another city, and the legality of it.

Is it relatively easy to open a school out of an office space or spare apartment? Is there enough English student demand to gain enough clients? I'm looking to hear from anyone who has looked into the idea or has done it before. Thanks.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy it is not. If you want to open a few classes to teach privately from your own house, that's generally pretty easy. But to open an actual school where you hire other teachers, it will require you to jump through years of legal red tape.

I'd think you'd need anywhere from 50 to 100 thousand dollars just to get it started.
BenE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would certainly need legal help and a lot of patience to adhere to a range of different ministries requirements.
Tudor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Opening Your Own School Reply with quote

CNexpatesl wrote:
Greetings. I'm wondering how feasible it would be to open one's own school in Saigon or another city, and the legality of it.

Is it relatively easy to open a school out of an office space or spare apartment? Is there enough English student demand to gain enough clients? I'm looking to hear from anyone who has looked into the idea or has done it before. Thanks.

I don't wish to be patronising, but the fact that you've asked for advice on this forum would suggest that you're not in any position to start a business in a developing country.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want to open a few classes to teach privately from your own house, that's generally pretty easy.

Yes, I concur and know/have heard of foreign teachers doing this, basically teaching in their living room.

Opening an actual school is of course difficult but not impossible. You need local partners and financial backers.

As far as I know, ILA was started by a group of foreign teachers with some major backers, and were eventually bought out. Anyone know the exact story/details?

Corporate Training Solutions is another one that comes to mind, although I am not sure of their current status/structure.

Also, have a look for KDTC Group
and
Mc IELTS.

I think it's probably easier for a foreigner to open a bar or restaurant. That seems a lot more common.

Last edited by sigmoid on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could teach from home and make a decent go of it (effectively running a small unregistered learning centre) at what point would you feel incentivised to spend the additional effort, time and money required to establish a 'proper' centre?

I mention this because I know a few teachers effectively running unregistered learning centres (albeit in Hong Kong), some of whom are happy to remain unregistered while others are looking to establish formal centres.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: