Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for advice job hunting after a CELTA.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bograt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've never set foot in the ME, except the lounges at Dubai airport, but I see nothing wrong with people heading there for the money. Whoever says money isn't important is either very rich or will grow old in unimaginable poverty.

I have no problem with guys who work in the ME as long as they don't start virtue signalling me about anything the way EFL teachers in other countries do. Once you admit your principles play no part at all in the kind of work you're prepared to do, you surrender all right to lecture others , IMO
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Never worked in the Middle East but, no disrespect to those working there, no one is there for anything else apart from the money.

Not everyone teaching in the Mid East is motivated by money. Regardless, as a newbie, the OP wouldn't meet the requirements to teach in the GCC and is best to focus on Asia for that first teaching job.
bograt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not everyone teaching in the Mid East is motivated by money

You're joking right?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: err Reply with quote

Everyone I've ever met is in the Middle East for money. Doesn't mean you can't have a good time, especially in the UAE.

And Bograt just do a poll of what people earn these days. The vast majority earn a tragic wage. I was an options trader almost 30 years ago so know what real money is Bograt.

The point is, the market is different now. Not a career path I'd start off in.
bograt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: err Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Everyone I've ever met is in the Middle East for money. Doesn't mean you can't have a good time, especially in the UAE.

And Bograt just do a poll of what people earn these days. The vast majority earn a tragic wage. I was an options trader almost 30 years ago so know what real money is Bograt.

The point is, the market is different now. Not a career path I'd start off in.

You come across as a bit sad. Despite the fact that, according to you, you were earning loadsa money as a trader and loadsa money as a teacher. Is there something else missing in your life?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

Nothing I can think of thanks.
desertdawg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started teaching in Europe and enjoyed it. You won't save any money, but will have a good time.

Try tefl.com for jobs.

Good luck
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before TEFL I'd spent fifteen years doing a "proper job" Cool with a contributionary pension that will also give me a lump sum when I'm sixty. I'm glad I've got that along with other provisions for my retirement.
My point is it's very rare to get any kind of meaningful benefits with a TEFL job. You're not even making NI contributions for your state pension. You can make voluntary ones if you want though.

I don't think people's posts are trying to put you off, just making sure you go in with your eyes open.
A diving or snowboarding instructor would be a more fun way to see the world IMO.
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem is the opening poster is bored with their employment in the UK. They haven't mentioned any other thoughts of training/retraining to improve prospects at home, and the CELTA seems to be offering an escape although I'd call it a very temporary one.

As ever, I quantify any suggestions with caveats if I've not done such and such. I've never done a PGCE, but that really strikes me as an obvious choice here.
sam_1004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm this is all very interesting. I can't say I have any plans to go to the Middle East or have even considered it, it was in my understanding that you at least needed to have amassed some experience before undergoing that route.

In terms of career prospects, I guess I'm at the stage where anything is really a step up and if all fails that what have I really lost, a low paying zero hours contract job in a country with a declining currency. Yes I know many countries are much worse than the UK but my point is I wouldn't be leaving too much behind.

I have considered a PGCE as a future option for something to come back to in the UK, maybe in a few years, when I've gained some proper teaching experience. Though this will all depend on how this whole Brexit scenario turns out, and what shape Europe and America is in at that point.

I did have some careers counseling and I don't regret my degree it would be stupid to wallow in some "should of done it differently" scenario. In all honesty, I learned a lot during my years on my degree and am glad I didn't consign myself to doing something as dull as an accountancy or a law degree for the sake of security. I think if I had I wouldn't have learned anything about making decisions for myself, you can only learn through making your own mistakes and all that.

I guess I'll just give it a go, it's been a long time since I've found something I've genuinely enjoyed as much as teaching, and I imagine it will be shit at times and I'll be sweating in some classroom in mid summer with 50 screaming kids who won't settle down desperately trying to write lesson plans every evening whilst skimping on food cause I don't have enough money. But if you just didn't try at the first hurdle how would you even know.

I've considered NI and am mostly likely to try to set something up where I keep paying into it so I can claim my state pension. I think there are a few options.

Thank you for the interesting comments!
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the chin up and take the negative stuff you read on here with a pinch of salt. There are always options & China is a very real option for you and believe me you won't need to worry about the below:

" I'll be sweating in some classroom in mid summer with 50 screaming kids who won't settle down desperately trying to write lesson plans every evening whilst skimping on food cause I don't have enough money."

You can use your degree in Fine Arts to your advantage. Many schools here teach Fine Arts even at primary school level. In the bigger cities there are openings for FTs in the areas of Fine Arts, Music, Drama & Science in addition to English teaching. Science and Drama teachers are most in demand but you may find yourself a Fine Arts teaching position.
In many cities you will need (in addition to your degree) a TELF certification and/or 2 years relevant work experience (teaching, training, coaching, etc.). You could come out here and teach English at a public school/language center/training school etc. to find your feet for the first year.
There are good jobs here that don't need licensure or even CELTA. Just make sure that you do your research and don't jump at the first offer you receive.
Everbody is different so you must decide what's best for you (some posters on Daves seem to think that it's their way of thinking or no way at all). I had a solid technical career in both the Pharma & Foods sector but realised that it wasnt for me. Leaving my stressful job, and what I now consider a boring existance, to move to China to teach was the best decision of my life so far. I have taught Science in the same school for three years in Shanghai and really love my life. You are so young and have plenty of time to sort your life out haha, enjoy it. The best of luck to you!
ps. if you are interested in China and have any questions about living/teaching there feel free to ask Smile
reblair79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam, I'm in the same boat as you. I am from the UK, have a BA and currently half way through my CELTA. After a long time researching various countries, I think I will go to China after the CELTA. The money is decent and your accommodation is usually paid for as well as some flight allowance. I've heard mostly positive experiences about China unless someone has had a bad employer. But I think some online research is easy enough to help avoid those ones. As for any bad vibes given, someone else said, it's best to take it with a pinch of salt. It's best to make your own mind up once you've started doing it...as you mentioned (I paraphrase). All the best, Ray
AV15

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

What teaching EFL is NOT is mornings in the classroom, afternoons on the beach and evenings in the disco with your weekends spent doing elephant trekking and other tourist type stuff.

Speak for yourself. When I was doing ESL, I never worked a 40 hour week or anything close to it. Yes, that includes 'prep time' (honestly, prep time for a lot of jobs is pretty much nothing as they have the books and lessons prepared already and don't really care what happens in the classroom anyway).

There's a boatload of university jobs (mainly in China if you only have a BA) where you'll do 12-16 lessons a week, have 5 months vacation and little to no standards or oversight from management.

When I worked in Thailand, I did 6 lessons on Saturdays and 6 lessons on Sunday in a language school in Bangkok. 700 baht an hour, came to around 35k a month the vast majority of the time. Didn't do any other work the rest of the week and used to laugh at all the 8-4 government school slaves who earned around the same but had to report in 5 days a week.

There's certainly jobs out there where you can work a lot less than 40 hours a week and have a pretty chilled out life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: