Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I teach because...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: I teach because... Reply with quote

I Teach for the Money...
By Starr Sackstein, Education Week | February 23, 2015
Source: http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/work_in_progress/2015/02/i_teach_for_the_money.html

Said no teacher ever.

Because we all know that although "we get summers off," no amount of money could ever compensate us for the commitment it takes to really do our job well.

Being a teacher is a calling, one that most great teachers nurture. Starting with a not so subtle love of our content and progressing to a deepening need to make change in the world, one [learner] at a time. Each day is an opportunity to inspire, enrich relationships and learn collaboratively through a mixture of planning and unplanning and openness to whatever opportunities present themselves.

(End of excerpt)

Whether you're an ESL/EFL teacher or a content teacher, why do you teach? For money? To make a difference? Status? Adventure? Because there's nothing else to do? Or ???

How would you complete the prompt:
    I teach because...
bograt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of soppy stuff about kids in that article. 'I believe that children are the future' etc...

Most people's reasons for teaching change as they get older.

In TEFL terms the stages might go like this

I teach because

1) I did an arts degree, couldn't think of anything else to do and wanted to travel.

After a few years if they're still doing it.

2) I'm quite into it and find it satisfying to get better at it.

After a few more years

3) I have a wife and kids to support and am too old to change fields.

I'm between stages two and three I reckon
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach because...

it's portable
it's flexible (the ultimate portfolio job)
I'm good at it
the skills are transferable
it's satisfying to make a difference
it's engrossing
you can branch into many different income sources with it
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach because

my students constantly amaze me (and more often positively than negatively;-))
they are doing important work and by supporting their successes, I am contributing to positive global evolution
I love working in this very international environment
my colleagues are inspirational
I am paid to research, write, and teach - what more could anyone want??!!

Well, and I have a lot of paid holiday. Icing on the cake!
kev20

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I teach for the money with the added benefit that I enjoy it. I like going to work and almost prefer it to weekends and holidays. But I wouldn't do it for free.

Honestly I think a lot of teachers stink of self-importance. The truly great teachers are few and far between, and just because one considers it a calling doesn't mean they are any good at it.
Wayland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev20 wrote:
Currently I teach for the money with the added benefit that I enjoy it. I like going to work and almost prefer it to weekends and holidays. But I wouldn't do it for free.

Honestly I think a lot of teachers stink of self-importance. The truly great teachers are few and far between, and just because one considers it a calling doesn't mean they are any good at it.

I don't like to make generalizations about anyone, but in my experience, the teachers who complain about other teachers being "self important" generally need to self examine themselves.

Just because you enjoy teaching doesn't mean you're any good at it. I think I would rather hire a "self-important teacher" than some guy who does it for the money and because he enjoys it. You can't count on someone like that, and in my experience, they're typically mavericks who insist on doing their own thing in the classes even though anyone with a proper teaching education knows they're actually doing more harm to their students learning than good.
bograt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I teach to help mold the next generation into ethical, contented adults."

It's this kind of attitude I'd be more worried about my kid's teacher having. Your job as a teacher is not to mold anyone. This way of thinking seems to be permeating though US universities and churning out people who can't accept alternative views.

This one is better.

Quote:
"To foster creativity, independence and critical thinking skills among my students."
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I teach because I have no ambition and never had any.
Grenouille

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I (still) teach because I like where I live and it's the only way I can get a visa to stay here.

Embarassed
Knedliki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying you're good at teaching is equivalent to saying that you're good at driving.
A lot of people (well, men mostly) think they are expert drivers while flying round a corner with one hand on the wheel.
Ragmgar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: I teach because... Reply with quote

I feel like a game show host up there and I really enjoy the job of getting students out of their shells and making them interact!

And unlike previous jobs nobody tries to shoot or stab me, I don't have to unload trucks, deal with clogged toilets or get screamed at by 120 people a day because they tried to bring shampoo on a plane!
I had a variety of jobs while figuring thing out after college. Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I teach because... Reply with quote

Ragmgar wrote:
I feel like a game show host up there and I really enjoy the job of getting students out of their shells and making them interact!

And unlike previous jobs nobody tries to shoot or stab me, I don't have to unload trucks, deal with clogged toilets or get screamed at by 120 people a day because they tried to bring shampoo on a plane!
I had a variety of jobs while figuring thing out after college. Smile

Wink Laughing Laughing

Not so sure about the game show host angle or the pedagogical value of extricating students from shells, but am impressed with your CV;-)
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an English degree with no plan in mind. I started teaching for the sheer joy of interacting with little kids all day. After I had 6 kids of my own, some of the novelty of that aspect of my job wore off. Laughing

My husband and I are from two different countries, and we wanted to live abroad and find a place that is "us." I decided to try teaching older students and to pursue my MA so I could teach at the university level and make this a long term career.

I love working with teen and adult students. I agree with the game show host analogy. I feel like that when I teach. It energizes me!
simon44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach because my primary career (rocket scientist) doesn't offer many employment opportunities in south-east Asia.

I teach because I am saving for my retirement. (Teaching in Myanmar means that I can save about $2,500 USD per month).

I teach because there is little age/gender/job discrimination in Myanmar - older teachers are highly valued.

I teach because it is a great excuse to stay far away from my Thai ex-wives...
CliveRAG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..... because it's better than stacking shelves Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: