Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I teach because...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Saying you're good at teaching is equivalent to saying that you're good at driving.
A lot of people (well, men mostly) think they are expert drivers while flying round a corner with one hand on the wheel.

Haha - I thought I might get pulled up on that one!

I've been teaching for a while, and I'm still teaching, in part, because I can do it. I don't want to come across as arrogant - or as falsely modest. What I mean by doing it well is that I help my students get the results they want, whether that's to pass an exam, improve a level, be more confident, get job satisfaction or a promotion... I work hard to maintain my professional reputation and to stay current with what's going on, so yes, I take pride in being a good teacher.

There are no prizes in struggling through a job that you can't do, or which isn't at least reasonably aligned with your skills or interests. I'm never going to become a software developer, electrical engineer or even an electrician, for example. Just as well I found teaching!

And, as for the driving.... Don't you know that in Italy, it's mandatory to be able to drive fast round corners with one hand on the wheel? We're also blessed with super vision that allows us to safely overtake while going round that corner...
natsume

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon44 wrote:
(Teaching in Myanmar means that I can save about $2,500 USD per month).

You can't drop that (parenthetically, no less), and not explain it.
twowheel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon44 wrote:
I teach because it is a great excuse to stay far away from my Thai ex-wives...

Laughing

twowheel
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natsume wrote:
simon44 wrote:
(Teaching in Myanmar means that I can save about $2,500 USD per month).

You can't drop that (parenthetically, no less), and not explain it.

He has mentioned previously that he teaches at a 'semi' international private school and tops his income up with online lessons. Fair dibs to him.
natsume

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:

He has mentioned previously that he teaches at a 'semi' international private school and tops his income up with online lessons. Fair dibs to him.

That's great, if that's the case. It just read like teaching in Myanmar in general allows one to save that much a month, which I am pretty sure is not true.

(One could have said that, with no explanation, about Saudi Arabia 10 years ago, and nobody would have questioned it.)
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach because I want to challenge myself, learn & make a positive impact in my students lives.
I also teach beacause I want a job where I only need to work 9 months of the year, experiencing a different culture in the process, travel, etc. One that is basically stress free (but not easy) when compared to my previous career.
If the above changes, or I decide that I want to bank bundles of cash, I will leave the teaching field...but for now it suits me just fine Smile
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

natsume wrote:
Jmbf wrote:

That's great, if that's the case. It just read like teaching in Myanmar in general allows one to save that much a month, which I am pretty sure is not true.

(One could have said that, with no explanation, about Saudi Arabia 10 years ago, and nobody would have questioned it.)

Fair play to him if that's the case.
But I very much doubt than anyone, bar a fully licensed teacher at a true international school, can save $2500/month in Myanmar, Cambodia or Thailand!
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:

If the above changes, or I decide that I want to bank bundles of cash, I will leave the teaching field...but for now it suits me just fine Smile

Both Steven King and JK Rowling were English teachers before their writing careers shot them to wealth and fame. So, why not do both? Wink
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:

But I very much doubt than anyone, bar a fully licensed teacher at a true international school, can save $2500/month in Myanmar, Cambodia or Thailand!

There are nearly always 'outliers' in every country that have income outside the normal salary range. This could be the case here. Or he could be hustling like crazy for online work.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:
I teach because I want to challenge myself, learn & make a positive impact in my students lives.

If the above changes, or I decide that I want to bank bundles of cash, I will leave the teaching field.

That line of thinking isn't uncommon for those who find teaching rewarding. Besides, people's career goals can certainly change over time.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
getbehindthemule wrote:

Both Steven King and JK Rowling were English teachers before their writing careers shot them to wealth and fame. So, why not do both? Wink

...but I teach Science, so perhaps I should aim for rocket scientist Wink
In saying that a good friend of mine is a Science teacher back home and he has shot to fame, as such, by co-writing and publishing a full Science curriculum. He has now moved away from teaching into research and publishing. He was always extremely passionate about the subject and education in general though!
simon44

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It just read like teaching in Myanmar in general allows one to save that much a month, which I am pretty sure is not true

To clarify the numbers and details:

I do not hold a teaching licence or education degree.
I do hold an MSc from London University, plus many relevant teaching certificates (CPD).
I do not have a CELTA or DELTA
I have been teaching off and on for about 10 years I am now almost 58 years old

I teach KG and primary at a private school in Myanmar, where 97% of the students are local Myanmar.

My monthly salary is about $2,400 plus $500 for my hotel accommodation.
I also make about $500 each month from online teaching.

I spend on average, no more than $400 each month on food, drink, entertainment etc etc.

So my 'cash' income is $2,400 +500 - 400 = $2,500, which is what I save in the bank each month Smile

(Now you can maybe understand why I like to teach in Myanmar.....)
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon44 wrote:
Quote:

It just read like teaching in Myanmar in general allows one to save that much a month, which I am pretty sure is not true

To clarify the numbers and details:

I do not hold a teaching licence or education degree.
I do hold an MSc from London University, plus many relevant teaching certificates (CPD).
I do not have a CELTA or DELTA
I have been teaching off and on for about 10 years I am now almost 58 years old

I teach KG and primary at a private school in Myanmar, where 97% of the students are local Myanmar.

My monthly salary is about $2,400 plus $500 for my hotel accommodation.
I also make about $500 each month from online teaching.

I spend on average, no more than $400 each month on food, drink, entertainment etc etc.

So my 'cash' income is $2,400 +500 - 400 = $2,500, which is what I save in the bank each month Smile

(Now you can maybe understand why I like to teach in Myanmar.....)

Wow, I didnt think that that kind of salary existed in Myanmar. They pay you $500 per month hotel allowance on top of $2400!
How did you land that gig? I teach young learners myself so just curious.
Saving $2500/month is unbelievable, more power to you.
Do you mind listing some of the negative aspects of your job there, if any?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:
Wow, I didnt think that that kind of salary existed in Myanmar. They pay you $500 per month hotel allowance on top of $2400!
How did you land that gig? I teach young learners myself so just curious.
Saving $2500/month is unbelievable, more power to you.

That would be great for a thread on Myanmar in the General Asia forum. Wink
simon44

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, most schools in Myanmar pay for hotel accommodation because of the high price of rented accommodation.

My salary is 'average' for a teaching position in Myanmar - it is the low cost of living that ability to save that first attracted me to teach in Myanmar in 2012.

(My home for 15 years is in Thailand, but with my lack of B.Ed and advanced years, I have minimal chance of earning a decent teaching salary).

Quote:

I cannot think of any negative aspects of my job! I have worked for other schools in Myanmar and always been treated very well, (much better than the few times that I've worked in Thailand).

My school treats me very well, gives me a bonus because I have an (unrelated) MSc, gave me their annual pay rise after just 2 months in the job, pay all of my visa-run air tickets, visa fees and hotel accommodation in Bangkok.

Right now, I'm teaching summer school (on the same monthly salary), just teaching no more than 90 minutes a day (3 half-hour lessons).

The kids are great to teach, the local teachers wonderful and you will never hear 'You are farang, you not understand'. It seems that it is only Thailand where people do not want to learn from foreigners Smile

OTOH, Myanmar food is pretty disgusting (most of it), drowned in oil....

I make my own salads, cycle to school, go to the gym after work...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: