Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I teach because...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon44

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Or he could be hustling like crazy for online work.

I actually teach English online with a Vietnam school ==> teaching Vietnamese kids in my evenings. I don't want any more teaching hours!
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
getbehindthemule wrote:
Wow, I didnt think that that kind of salary existed in Myanmar. They pay you $500 per month hotel allowance on top of $2400!
How did you land that gig? I teach young learners myself so just curious.
Saving $2500/month is unbelievable, more power to you.
Do you mind listing some of the negative aspects of your job there, if any?

That would be great for a thread on Myanmar in the General Asia forum. Wink

Hehe...Sorry for going off topic, I actually didn't even realise what forum/thread I was on!
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info simon44, all the best!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you're an ESL/EFL teacher, a content teacher, or newbie, why do you teach? For money? To make a difference? Status? Adventure? Because there's nothing else to do? Or ???

How would you complete the prompt: I teach because...
natsume

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach because...it's a manner of supporting myself that encompasses some of my greater interests. I am fascinated by language, including my own. I genuinely think building intercultural understanding, even on a small scale, is extremely valuable, at least to me. While I am admittedly not great at creating motivation, I am very devoted and committed to those who come to me with real motivation and a desire to improve, no matter what the skill(s) or level. It's a vehicle to live abroad, which I quite enjoy. If I were wealthy I would spend all my money on stupid s*$t.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If I were wealthy I would spend all my money on stupid s*$t

I admire your honesty, natsume. Probably many of us would do the same, but not so many would admit it, even to themselves.

Marinx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would make a good teacher.
I have to think it will make a positive difference in someone's life.
It will make a positive difference in my life.
The adventure of my lifetime.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because teaching is a blast when you see students' eyes light up.
kev20

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching ESL does have its rewards for sure. It is a great feeling when you make a connection with students or have a brilliant class.

For me, I started doing this because some poor choices led me here. It was my only option for any kind of job. My country was going through a financial crisis and I had chosen to study a humanities subject with little prospect of employment. I also didn't try hard enough, as I had a comfortable childhood and thought everything would just come into place.

I never wanted to be a teacher. If I had wanted that, I would have become a teacher at home. I don't consider myself a real teacher because I work in a public middle school teaching ESL. I have none of the responsibilities that the Chinese teachers have. I've gotten pretty good at managing the classroom, but as far as teaching them anything goes, well I guess I'm as effective as anyone could be teaching classes of 50 once a week with no serious examination.

I can understand why people would want to do this long term. It's decent money and a good lifestyle. What more could you want?

As for me, I'm going to venture into some business opportunities here in China, while continuing to teach in the short term until it becomes viable to quit.
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Whether you're an ESL/EFL teacher, a content teacher, or newbie, why do you teach? For money? To make a difference? Status? Adventure? Because there's nothing else to do? Or ???

How would you complete the prompt: I teach because...

I like the subjects I teach and I like to put on a show. Oh, and free summers.

Your turn nomad soul, why do you teach?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught because it gave me a sense of purpose and allowed me to make a difference in others' lives. I was able to help newcomers to the US use their hard-earned English language skills to become employed and self-sufficient. I also felt a sense of accomplishment and pride when some of my former Mid East EFL students were able to pursue their educational goals in the US and UK.

One of my favorite quotes is from American journalist Andy Rooney, who quipped: "Most of us end up with no more than five or six people who remember us. Teachers have thousands of people who remember them for the rest of their lives."
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried working but I did not like it.
nomadic_meow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always felt more suited to education than most fields I have seen. Unfortunately I am none of a quantoid, super sycophant or constant workaholic, so my choices have turned out rather limited. I also really appreciated the patience and perspective my own early teachers and my own years studying abroad brought. Passing on even a little of that is valuable to me.

I doubt I will ever have the marketing and hyper-driven development orientation to be the most "serious" teacher. (Mixed about that: I have also had some very serious teachers who were technically solid, yet they along with the Japanese language scared away half of the freshman class?) I don't know if I can do it forever with the Asian countries I like getting more demanding.

Still, like Natsume, I enjoy helping where there's a good reception. I try to give some regular effort, make gradual improvements, and save quite a few quiet hours for myself too. We must all learn something in this life, but there are many paths so play nice.
bluething

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I can support my volunteering this way.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who can do it, it's the best job in the world. I teach because I like to learn. I probably spend more time than I need to spend on preparation, but I enjoy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: