Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barcelona with CertTESOL, English degree but no experience

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimi1999uk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Barcelona with CertTESOL, English degree but no experience Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've a bit of a newbie question if possible. Smile

How realistic would it be for someone with no teaching experience (aside from my CertTESOL) to hope to get any sort of teaching job in Barcelona, ideally with adults but any learner group would be fine?

My details are:
Scottish male and UK passport holder.
35 years of age.
an English Language and Literature BA w/ hons (2.1) from 2014
a Trinity CertTESOL pass from about ~2013

Any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd planned to jump into teaching years ago but life and love got in the way (as it does) Smile
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your BA in English and a willingness to work will take you far in Barcelona or anywhere else.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the timing, and you should be fine. Go over late August or early September and be ready to interview in person; you should find something reasonable. Most contracts are for Sept-June-ish, so job searching over the next few months would be tough, but if you can wait a bit there will be jobs going.
vallecano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be possible.

If you want to teach adults in BCN, be prepared (at least initially) to spend a lot of time on public transport going to businesses.

You would be slightly more likely to get block hours if you are happy to teach kids. The chances of this would also increase if you are prepared to go to a smaller city in Spain. Rents in BCN are also shockingly high, so unless you´ve got some money behind you, you might find you can only afford to live in the suburbs.

As Spiral says very end of August, start of September is when recruitment drives start, but in your situation I would try to get some minimal experience before then, either at a summer school in the UK or a summer camp in Spain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: