Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suzhou North American High School
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacqui7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Suzhou North American High School Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I saw their ad today on LinkedIn and was wondering if anyone has worked there before and is willing to share their experience.

Thank you.
mackidrei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i currently work there. pm me for details.
hooplehead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was offered a job there last year, comically onerous contract...specified in the contract about being late two minutes gets a days pay deduction, things like that. I red-lined all of the silly terms, sent it back to them and they never got back to me. Not even to say "We can't change the terms." So yeah, be wary.
rocket man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had an interview with them a couple of months ago, lots of questions about methods etc that would be great for a US teaching job but absolutely irrelevant when teaching Chinese students in a Chinese style classroom. Think the admin who interviewed me had just arrived from North Carolina as she seemed to have no clue on how the Chinese system works.

School has some sort of connection with North Carolina St University's School of Education and they follow a North Carolina style curriculum.
coldcucumber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by coldcucumber on Tue May 29, 2018 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hatcher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard a decent thing about the place and it is almost as if they expect Ts to leave after one year
rocket man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are always advertising on LinkedIn saw another recently placed ad on there today for them. Glad I never heard back from them
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocket man wrote:
had an interview with them a couple of months ago, lots of questions about methods etc that would be great for a US teaching job but absolutely irrelevant when teaching Chinese students in a Chinese style classroom. Think the admin who interviewed me had just arrived from North Carolina as she seemed to have no clue on how the Chinese system works.

School has some sort of connection with North Carolina St University's School of Education and they follow a North Carolina style curriculum.

I wonder if she will move the school closer to US practice or capitulate to the Chinese?
The bear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocket man wrote:

Could you say more about this?
mackidrei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to teaching methods, there is a curriculum from NC State that no one seems to follow. They also provide textbooks for English classes and some other subjects (not all) that have nothing to do with the NC curriculum, but they are provided from Chinese management. So essentially it's up to each teacher how they plan and teach their classes, they really only watch some teachers classes and don't really provide feedback. When hiring, multiple depts weigh in and each seems to have their own ideals of who they'd like to hire.
coldcucumber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by coldcucumber on Tue May 29, 2018 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
twowheel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coldcucumber wrote:
The school itself still seems to tend towards the violation of labor law and what not, especially when dealing with contracts. Quite a number of illegal sections and what not are located within the thing. At least that's what our friend's attorney has said.

Question Question Question
fabiolupo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Strange Reply with quote

Hello
I am a chemistry teacher.
They asked for 3 interviews.
I received a very low offer (19k per months) - 50 plus hours per week, half pay during vacation and so on.
I replied asking to discuss about it.
I still wait an e-mail from them Laughing

Just disappeared.

Avoidable
Fabio
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some-one should tip off a NC newspaper. That'll get some action.
ourownalone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
Some-one should tip off a NC newspaper. That'll get some action.
You really think so? I have friends who just moved from there and wouldn't care about blowback. Do you know of another news story along these lines?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: