Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your favorite hang outs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infinite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Your favorite hang outs? Reply with quote

I often travel around Poland so I figured it would be nice to maybe find out about some of your favorite places in different parts of the country. I think others would benefit too. Some things off the beaten path maybe.

I'm based in Warsaw so I'll tell you about a place that I like to visit.

I discovered it not long ago, it's right by Plac Konstytucji on Piekna St. hence the name - Piekna Mery. It's a small pub, but it is a pub indeed. It's got that home feeling, nice and quiet with a nice selection of beers from Czech and German pils to Polish crafts. I've done lessons there and I know of at least two more teachers who continue to hold meetings there. The music selection is always nice, the bartender is a character. Usually it's a pretty quiet place but sometimes they hold music events of all sorts and it fills up.

If I want the experience of loud, noisy and void of pub culture sorta place, I like to go to Cuda na Kiju - but summers only when you can sit outside and tune out the noise a bit. They have 15 taps with good beers and the location is ace in terms of the view [palm tree hahaha].

In praga there's the Hydrozagadka space with its neighboring pubs but I like Off Side on Brzeska, nice underground vibe and no hipster types.

In terms of food... I like to cook but if I'm out and about - Krowazywa - great vegan burgers. Laf Laf - Israeli cuisine [vegan] and the new Indonesian spot on Piekna - Jakarta, definitely worth checking out.

If I were to write this few years earlier I'd also add some music venues, but unfortunately it's been a while since I've been able to find a venue that consistently offers quality. The implant culture from small towns has successfully ruined any edginess that this city once had. Warsaw reminds me of NYC in terms of dying local culture.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Warsaw Reply with quote

I lived in Warsaw for 4 years, until 2014. I had a host of places I'd frequent, from clubs to restaurants.

I liked the pawilony bars, especially Klaps, to start / finish the night. Plan B could be fun too, but was hit or miss.

For craft beer, PiwPaw or Kufle i Kapsle had a good selection of drafts.

KluboKawiarnia was the only club I really felt comfortable in. Music was standard club fare, but it wasn't full of the pretentious types that flocked to the other ones (unless you go to Praga where that wasn't as much of an issue).

Groole was a great place to get a cheap and tasty meal, if you like jacket potatoes.

I hope I can make it back to Warsaw for a visit this summer. I'm sure some if my info is outdated, but I look forward to finding out all the latest and greatest places. It sound s like a lot has changed.
Infinite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan B is now a pretentious hipster hang out... filthy, overcrowded and void of soul.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinite wrote:
Plan B is now a pretentious hipster hang out... filthy, overcrowded and void of soul.
Yea, it was starting to go that way when I left Poland in 2014.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: