Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tax refund, health insurance, and mobile phone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Tax refund, health insurance, and mobile phone Reply with quote

I met a teacher with a few problems.

1. He is waiting for his refund for taxes. He paid back in February, Still waiting for the 50,000 yen.
He worked in Saitama then moved to Kanagawa back in Marchl, 2016.

2. Works in something like dispatch, for some company affiliated with Global Partners. He has no health insurance.

3. He cannot get a mobile phone. He tried but has not been able to.

Advice is appreciated.
Didah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mitsui,

I have been back in Tokyo since last summer. I looked at the big companies like Softbank, Yahoo, and Docomo -- which as you know are expensive and want you to sign long contracts -- some up to two years with usurious early termination penalties.

Anyway I ran across a mobile provider called GTN. They are very reasonable. The contract is only for 10 months and early termination is only 10,000 yen. The service is good. They are actually a reseller for Yahoo, so, you are actually on their network. If your friend has an unlocked phone, they will sell just the SIM. If your friend doesn't have a phone, they offer a cheap smart phone for around 15,000 yen. I bought one and it works fine. Don't expect it to operate exactly like an iPhone. They have offices in Ikebukuro and Shinjuku. The bill can be paid at convenience stores.

Just as a disclaimer, I don't work for them. They are worth checking out. Here is the website: https://gtn-mobile.com/en/

Sorry I can't help with the tax thing. I never got my retirement money when I left the last time after living here for many years. When I went to check on it, they don't even have a record anymore.

Good luck
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Getting to Shinjuku would be easiest for him.
His Japanese is limited so Shin-Okubo would be good. They are used to dealing with foreigners.
He knows more Thai than Japanese, actually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: