Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Country Garden Silver Beach School Renshan town

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocket man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Country Garden Silver Beach School Renshan town Reply with quote

Got an offer to teach middle school ESL at this school. Its SE of Shenzhen near the beach. Pictures look nice, salary is what I'm making here in Chongqing teaching American History 19k/month after tax, 20 odd hours/week teaching, one evening/week supervising self -study on like a Tuesday or Wednesday (beats the hell out of teaching Sunday nights which I do now). Housing fully paid for including utilities and internet.

Haven't found much about the school online. Flying down there on Tuesday to check it out.

anybody got any information?
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, is the program new or established?
rocket man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
Out of curiosity, is the program new or established?

established, they have like 12 foreign teachers there
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually a good thing when there is no griping to be found in the Net for an established program.

Guess you will find out for sure when you visit and talk to them.

Not sure if I would want the name of that school on my resume, but call me macho. Wink

Best!
rocket man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
Usually a good thing when there is no griping to be found in the Net for an established program.

Guess you will find out for sure when you visit and talk to them.

Not sure if I would want the name of that school on my resume, but call me macho. Wink

Best!

thanks
In Korea there is a chain of kiddie hogwons (think training centers) called Ding Dang Dong, another one called "Toss English" imagine putting those on your resume Very Happy Very Happy
rocket man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went over to check out the school on Tuesday, Everything was brand spanking new, the school, the apartment, heck the town. Discovered that this is a new Chinese beach resort town has only been around 3 years. I'd get my own classroom with wifi etc

Problem with the school and why there is such a turnover of teachers is it is out in the middle of nowhere, to get to the east side of Shenzhen it's an 90 minute bus ride. The only foreigners in the town are the teachers, talk about living in a fishbowl. Teachers spend every weekend going to Shenzhen. Yeah it pays more than other places but you blow it going to Shenzhen every weekend to have some sort of life and that includes groceries a fast food fix or anything resembling decent health care

Nice job if you are into solitude, I'm not sad to say
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to boost this topic. I've been offered a position at the school.

20 hours/week. 20k/month. It does sound isolated, but I feel isolated in SH anyway.

Is it really that bad?
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
I'm going to boost this topic. I've been offered a position at the school.

20 hours/week. 20k/month. It does sound isolated, but I feel isolated in SH anyway.

Is it really that bad?

It looks like your cup of tea TOP, relaxing beach town and according to RM the school sounds great. The town looks very nice:
http://www.tripmondo.com/china/guangdong-sheng/renshan/
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 minutes from Shenzhen is now considered "the middle of nowhere?" Please, let's have some perspective here. It takes 70-80 minutes just to cross Shenzhen on Line 1 of the metro. Or consider small cities like Dunhuang in the desert where there's nothing for hundreds of miles around. That's the middle of nowhere. Anywhere within a few hours of Shenzhen is not isolated.
The bear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien abductee wrote:
90 minutes from Shenzhen is now considered "the middle of nowhere?" Please, let's have some perspective here. It takes 70-80 minutes just to cross Shenzhen on Line 1 of the metro. Or consider small cities like Dunhuang in the desert where there's nothing for hundreds of miles around. That's the middle of nowhere. Anywhere within a few hours of Shenzhen is not isolated.

I see what you mean but it can still feel isolated. Especially if there's nothing to do in the area. When you have to spend 3 hours (round trip) to go somewhere, it feels isolating. And that's probably just from the station to Shenzhen, doesn't take into account door to door, or waiting time, and the fact that's 90 minutes to the EAST of Shenzhen, if you want to go to, say, Shekou, that's the other side of the city.

I used to live on campus at a university in a city of around 6m people. It took 1 to get to the city on the bus, sometimes over 2 hours due to traffic. Even though we were 'in the city' technically, the poor roads, traffic, and infrequent bus service really cut you off from the city.

If the location OP talked about is small, lacks amenities, then it will feel isolated. If you really just want to go out for a coffee, sit in a nice place, the thought of going 90 minutes to Shenzhen then 90 minutes back will really put a downer on your day. I've never been to the place OP talks about so I can't personally comment, just that I understand why the phrase 'isolated' has been used.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the location OP talked about is small, lacks amenities, then it will feel isolated. If you really just want to go out for a coffee, sit in a nice place, the thought of going 90 minutes to Shenzhen then 90 minutes back will really put a downer on your day. I've never been to the place OP talks about so I can't personally comment, just that I understand why the phrase 'isolated' has been used.

Methinks it'll have the usual knockoffs (no KFC, McDs, Carrefour etc).

And I'll be learning to make iced lattes super quick.

Anyways I'm done with big city living. I'm happy to work, relax, read, exercise, hit the beach and mountains, do Shenzhen every other week or so. For a year. During that year I'll evaluate how "isolated" living is doing for me.
rocket man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this:
MOD EDIT
If true I'd give it a wide berth, no wonder there is such turnover
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocket man wrote:
I found this:
MOD EDIT

If true I'd give it a wide berth, no wonder there is such turnover

Read all that. Will give it a knock. If it doesn't pay off, I'm outta there.

BTW, I like solitude. I don't like crowds - I hate Shanghai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: