Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: Lincoln pulling out of TTC Riyadh?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balzac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lincoln pulling out of TTC Riyadh? Reply with quote

Hi,

I heard this morning that Technical Trainers College (TTC) in Riyadh employees were sent an email today saying the following:

"I just wanted to inform you that from today and during next week potential future providers will be visiting the college to have a look around."

Does anyone know if that means Lincoln are pulling out after a year of managing the college as many expected they would? Or were they pushed out by the Colleges of Excellence hierarchy?

It would be interesting to hear from any insiders or those who have heard something similar.

B
desertfox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balzac, can we just recap?

How many providers have there now been at TTC after Giz (the original German provider) lost the contract?

Thanks,
Desertfox
Balzac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertfox wrote:
Balzac, can we just recap?

How many providers have there now been at TTC after Giz (the original German provider) lost the contract?

Thanks,
Desertfox

As I understand it Desertfox Interlink/EGA showed interest and were in negotiations to run TTC before Lincoln but the deal never went through with the colleges of excellence people.

Lincoln took over at the end of last summer and so have been at the helm for a little under one year after pulling out of two KSA colleges before that citing losses.

This latest exit for Lincoln will not go down well with folks in the UK some of whom have previously had to bail out British educational providers which have lost money in risky overseas adventures.

B
desertfox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balzac,
Also, just to complete the picture, are you are of the extent of staff turnover in the English Dept at TTC during the period since Giz lost the providers contract?

Have there been any changes to the management of the Department specifically, and if so what the impacts have been.

Sorry for so many questions, but as I understand it, this saga has been developing for some time.

Thanks..
Desert Dueller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lincoln pulling out of TTC Riyadh? Reply with quote

It looks like Lincoln has formally terminated everyone on their books at TTC. However, they have been given a reprieve by the TVTC/CoE to soldier on for the time being. Some staff have been invited to reapply for their jobs, albeit on reduced terms and conditions, i.e. lower salaries and benefits. At least a dozen have been sacked with no option to remain. It therefore seems that the endless turmoil that has marked the last two years at the college is set to continue, with all the associated uncertainty for those remaining, especially with the upcoming holiday period. Who would seriously want to gamble that a job and a room will in fact be there in September? Not worth waiting for, if it were me. Looks like a hook-up with Hull Uni to recruit from there. That'll be the exit for those that have well and truly overstayed their welcome at the college.
No Place Like Home

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so it goes on...

I have been following the ups and downs of TTC over the last 5 years, since being a victim of the previous GIZ era, albeit in my private life rather than on a professional level.

I came to the following conclusions way back:

1. Someone somewhere has been profiting big-time from the TTC/TVTC scene in KSA;
2. Those awarded the contract to oversee the running of the college have also been making a fast buck somewhere along the way;
3. 3rd party agencies consistently employed hedonistic, unprofessional, sociopathic individuals to fill the roles because the organisations did not care who came to do the job, they just wanted vacancies filled by puppets and students' bums on seats;
4. People involved in management have been overpaid, arrogant and manipulative individuals who did not care who or what gets discarded as collateral damage along the way;
5. The worst offenders regarding point #4 above ended up being promoted/sidelined or somehow coming up smelling of roses, just to add to the irony and injustice.

Whilst my experience was not as an employee of the college, I still endured a calculated and deliberate destruction in my private life caused by people who had been at TTC, specifically those in the VP department.

Thus, as the old adage goes, mud sticks, and it seems that even newer administration cannot shake the stench of the mess left behind by GIZ staff, which is a great pity for the students and for the genuine staff who were not involved in the darker side of things such as mismanagement or plain egocentrism for personal gain.

No one will ever be held accountable for what has happened at this place or for the damage caused along the way, and it looks increasingly unlikely that the reputation of the college can ever recover from what has been going on over the years.

Would the last person to leave please turn off the lights.
Lord T

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lincoln College have been awarded a 3-year contract to run, what is now known as, the Applied Engineering College, Riyadh.

The number of teachers working there is way down on that of previous years: there looks to be about 8 ESL guys there compared to around 30, two years ago.
ayatollah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: if you weren't there, how come ...? Reply with quote

Quote:
Whilst my experience was not as an employee of the college, I still endured a calculated and deliberate destruction in my private life caused by people who had been at TTC, specifically those in the VP department

If you didn't work there, how come TTC didn't like you? The idea is to pass on people's direct experiences of the college.
desertfox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T states:" The number of teachers working there is way down on that of previous years: there looks to be about 8 ESL guys there compared to around 30, two years ago."

My recollection was that some of the teachers who have now left made a pretty penny on very generous contracts and actually set up plantations no less in such places as the Philippines.

With the state of the job market now in Saudi, the few teachers that are now left could only dream of that I would suggest.
kiwiinksa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:
The number of teachers working there is way down on that of previous years: there looks to be about 8 ESL guys there compared to around 30, two years ago.

No - there are nearly double the number, with more on the way.

Smile
kiwiinksa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertfox wrote:
My recollection was that some of the teachers who have now left made a pretty penny on very generous contracts and actually set up plantations no less in such places as the Philippines.

With the state of the job market now in Saudi, the few teachers that are now left could only dream of that I would suggest.

Good luck to those that managed to set themselves up then get out.

I think I'm right in suggesting the pay is still quite generous compared to most other teaching institutions. And quite possibly, there may well be teachers setting themselves up for life after Saudi Arabia even now.

We should all be so lucky.
Lord T

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiinksa wrote:
Lord T wrote:

No - there are nearly double the number, with more on the way.

Smile

The class timetables are available online. The number of ESL teachers is way down on 2 years ago. In fact I only recognize the names of 5 ESL teachers still working there, who were there in 2015. That is out of a total of 28 who were there at that time.

Are the teachers who are 'on the way' native speakers?
kiwiinksa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:

Why is that an issue? See if you can actually bring yourself to say what you're thinking.

That's a challenge - try to articulate why that would be something that's at all relevant.

Very Happy
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: non-native speakers Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:

KIWI wrote:
Why is that an issue? See if you can actually bring yourself to say what you're thinking.

REALLY....you don't think that hiring non-native English speakers is an issue?
Lord T

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiinksa wrote:
Lord T wrote:

That's a challenge - try to articulate why that would be something that's at all relevant.

Very Happy

First things first: you said nearly double the number of teachers there, with more on the way. I looked again at the timetable and the number of ESL teachers is way down on previous years. In fact the number of teachers of all subjects taught there is way down on previous years.

I noticed that many of the teachers have Arab/Muslim names, and also thought that I hadn't seen any job adverts for ESL teachers at the Applied Engineering College.

That's why I asked if the teachers on the way were non-natives. Are you hiring Saudis to teach ESL?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: