Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: Lincoln pulling out of TTC Riyadh?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwiinksa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertfox wrote:
Kiwiinksa - Are you a brother??

Come on, admit it...

Laughing
Lord T

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiinksa wrote:

Lincoln is not pulling out of TTC. We've established that.

"there looks to be about 8 ESL guys there" - Lord T Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:20 pm

- incorrect "No - there are nearly double the number, with more on the way." - my words

I believe they are hiring because there are plans to grow the college and student numbers are expected to grow too.

Very Happy

I was the one who posted the news that Lincoln had been awarded a 3-year contract. I saw about 8 ESL teachers on the timetable, but you have corrected me, thank you - still way down on the 30 they had in late 2015, but you believe they are hiring, so they may get back to that number eventually.

Teachers usually ask about contact hours and class sizes when they apply for new jobs. Can you give us any information regarding contact hours and class sizes at the Applied Engineering College, Riyadh?
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: anti Reply with quote

@kiwi

I harbor no mistrust of intellectuals or of researchers, per say. I do not, however, put much stock in studies that have been done that try to prove that native language speaking ability is not an important asset, especially when dealing with accent and pronunciation.

I did not mean this to be some sort of personal attack on you if you find yourself lacking in those areas. My point was simply that it can can proven that the reason for SCHOOLS to hire non-native speakers often amounts to an attempt to save money.

Good luck to you in your endeavors and I hope that your non-native speaking colleagues are handsomely rewarded for their efforts, even if their pronunciation may not be to my liking.

Enjoy KSA...so happy I no longer have to put up with it.
kiwiinksa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: anti Reply with quote

BajaLaJaula wrote:
@kiwi

I harbor no mistrust of intellectuals or of researchers, per say. I do not, however, put much stock in studies that have been done that try to prove that native language speaking ability is not an important asset, especially when dealing with accent and pronunciation.

I did not mean this to be some sort of personal attack on you if you find yourself lacking in those areas. My point was simply that it can can proven that the reason for SCHOOLS to hire non-native speakers often amounts to an attempt to save money.

Good luck to you in your endeavors and I hope that your non-native speaking colleagues are handsomely rewarded for their efforts, even if their pronunciation may not be to my liking.

Enjoy KSA...so happy I no longer have to put up with it.

I put no stock in research that tries to prove something the researcher 'wants' to be true. The scientific method is where you'll find you can have reasonable confidence. Let the research speak.

I agree - some schools hire NNES's to save money. I wouldn't work for such a s school.

I'm a native English speaker. But I'm also someone who doesn't believe that a teacher's value should be diminished in any way because of race, nationality, or religion. You on the other hand, have an issue with accents ("even if their pronunciation may not be to my liking" - your words). Teachers should use technology and any opportunity to expose students to a variety of accents. There is no one 'accent' for English.

I hope we've cleared that up.

Very Happy
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. There are several different accents of English. The most in demand are likely to be British and American. It is what it is. The market determines which ones are most desirable.
Non-native English speakers, who learned English after early adolescence, will usually speak with a less desirable and less marketable accent. The market determines which ones pay more. Unlikely that research findings that show that accent doesn't impact learning will change the perception in the Middle East.
Again, if it were up to me as a parent, I would not send my children to a school where their English teacher was a non-Native English speaker.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baja

The new technologies mean that exposure to an endless number of speakers is possible. In the past we were limited to using the teacher in class a a model. That started to change with the use of recordings. Now, with access through electronic media, there is a huge bank we can use.
ayatollah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: NNSs Reply with quote

Quote:
Again, if it were up to me as a parent, I would not send my children to a school where their English teacher was a non-Native English speaker.
Were you a parent in Saudi Arabia, you wouldn't have any choice.
siologen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: at the risk of playing devils advocate? Reply with quote

Quote:
Were you a parent in Saudi Arabia, you wouldn't have any choice.

I do agree here. The "market" (hate this term, I suspect it has it's origins in US English/Gulf recruiters usage!), for foreign teachers in the KSA is for those who are native speakers. Now, see my point, I have seen Serbians passing themselves off as Canadians in Oh-Man, just because their parents emigrated to that country and got the right to live there, but the way they speak is hard to understand even to a native speaker of english, let alone to your average male bedouin student from a village in Oh-Man. Just my dusty pocket of fils on, nothing personal towards anybody!!!!
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Scot. Ideally, language learners would be exposed to many different accents and this would actually reinforce their ability. But, since I was talking about my aversion to non-native English speakers teaching English, the issue would not simply be an accent.
Then again, how many Americans teachers know correct grammar anyway.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have native speaker competence in German. None of my teachers were native speakers of German and I never even met a native speaker until I had been learning for 3 years ! And in those days we only had radio broadcasts and tape recorders as back-up !
desertfox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non-native speaker debate is a fascinating one.

But it should be borne in mind English as a culture and a language has got a fairly unique role and background.

A long colonial history has meant that there are high numbers of 2nd generation (relative) newcomers to the UK.

This means that, for example, people of an Arabic/Islamic heritage, as native speakers, can now find jobs teaching in the Middle East.

The pull and attraction for them is not just economic, but multi faceted.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that.
desertfox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T asked: "Teachers usually ask about contact hours and class sizes when they apply for new jobs. Can you give us any information regarding contact hours and class sizes at the Applied Engineering College, Riyadh?"

Kiwi - This pertinent question was asked by Lord T, but you omitted to reply.

Can you please answer as this forum is an information exchange and posters would like to know the situation at Applied Engineering.

I am obliged.
Balzac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertfox wrote:
Lord T asked: "Teachers usually ask about contact hours and class sizes when they apply for new jobs. Can you give us any information regarding contact hours and class sizes at the Applied Engineering College, Riyadh?"

Kiwi - This pertinent question was asked by Lord T, but you omitted to reply.

Can you please answer as this forum is an information exchange and posters would like to know the situation at Applied Engineering.

I am obliged.

Yes, I'd genuinely be interested to know as well.

B
kiwiinksa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they're hiring at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: