Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No expats by 2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: No expats by 2020 Reply with quote

University instructors/professors fall under this category, I believe, as they are government employees.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-arabia/get-rid-expats-2020-public-sector-told/

"The Ministry of Civil Service has asked all ministries and government departments to get rid of all expatriate workers within three years, according to deputy minister Abdullah Al-Melfi.

The ministry said that there were 70,000 expats in the public sector at the end of last year.

“There will be no expatriate workers in the government after 2020,” he told a meeting here on Monday."
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I see these kind of pie in the sky statements much like Japan's too-soon, too-late push for English by their 2020 mas-I mean Olympics - ambitious, forceful, but impossible.

Even so and however paradoxically, much like Japan, do expect that target to be met more than you would expect. Between 2013 and 2016, there was a substantial gap in how I saw English treated in Japan and even in the short year I was in the Kingdom, could feel substantial shifts happening.

Be prepared, but don't necessarily fret.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really cannot see how it's remotely possible for Saudi universities to operate without expatriate lecturers.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psychedelicacy wrote:
I really cannot see how it's remotely possible for Saudi universities to operate without expatriate lecturers.

I disagree, I'm seeing more and more young Saudi graduates coming through who are very capable with a good work ethic.

I don't think expats will totally disappear, but I can see no more expats being hired.

If you have a job, hold on to it.

I mean that.
I-forgot

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good goal. It won't be met 100%. There will be exceptions for essential personnel with skills or wasta. But it is a good goal.
Balzac

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-forgot wrote:
It's a good goal. It won't be met 100%. There will be exceptions for essential personnel with skills or wasta. But it is a good goal.

I agree and it won't be met 100%. Yes there will always be exceptions.

The government set up a wholly owned company, called Thiqah, which employs people like expat advisors and also the more senior Saudis in ministries, and so technically they are not employees of the government but of Thiqah, so are not included in government restrictions.

As a longterm strategy, there's nothing wrong per se about wanting 100% employment for your citizens. It's just a question of how much time and resources you are prepared to invest in it to make it a successful reality.

B
scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be done. Certainly in the field of English there are loads of competent and qualified Saudi nationals. They could restrict direct hire to Saudi citizens and use contractors to bring in a few foreigners !
siologen

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: re: a definite shift... Reply with quote

One has to wonder with some recruiters paying less if this is the beginning of the end. For some positions I guess they will still want "expats", but the days of the high paying do 5 years and buy a house back in home days seem to be over, at least to me. Direct hire is obviously the way to go, but how long that will be a well paid option for, remains to be seen, a lot of uncertainty ahead it would seem.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
It could be done. Certainly in the field of English there are loads of competent and qualified Saudi nationals. They could restrict direct hire to Saudi citizens and use contractors to bring in a few foreigners !

Ditto that. Saudization was always the plan. Nothing new there.

Some of my Saudi colleagues had TESOL-related MAs and/or doctorates from US and British universities. Several were native/near-native English speakers having spent so many years in the US as children. Very Happy
siologen

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: re: near-native speakers... Reply with quote

Quote:
Some of my Saudi colleagues had TESOL-related MAs and/or doctorates from US and British universities. Several were native/near-native English speakers having spent so many years in the US as children.

The thing is though as of right now, whether one likes it or lumps it, native english speakers are still advertised for, and they do get paid more than the non native speaker. I have seen this happen in Oman, even in the case of an Indian who was significantly more qualified than I was! But as you rightly state, as the belt tightens, jobs will go to nationals first.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but she was talking about locals, who always make more than even Western expat native speakers. That was also true in Oman.

VS
bigdurian

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Yes, but she was talking about locals, who always make more than even Western expat native speakers. That was also true in Oman.

VS

Not true where I work. At least a third less.
I-forgot

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdurian wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:

VS

Not true where I work. At least a third less.

I have experienced both. In KSA, the locals were paid (significantly) less than native Englsh speakers. In the UAE, it was a mixed bag - Emiratis working for the Ministry were usually paid more but in the private sector, usually paid less.

It's a Friday and my brain has stopped working. Please tell me if that last comma should be there or not.
siologen

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: re: in oman? Reply with quote

Quote:

VS

In Oman, I heard that even policemen made less than native english teachers, but then again, that may not now be the case. As for the KSA, big tropical fruit thinks different from you, but he will know more than me as he has been there on the ground running for a long time.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: re: in oman? Reply with quote

siologen wrote:
Quote:

VS

In Oman, I heard that even policemen made less than native english teachers, but then again, that may not now be the case. As for the KSA, big tropical fruit thinks different from you, but he will know more than me as he has been there on the ground running for a long time.

I can only go by my own experience, or what I've personally heard.

Been here a while now. But I know some people who've been here thirty years or so continuously. My time pales into nothing in comparison.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: