Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most polluted cities to Avoid
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iloveamma

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Most polluted cities to Avoid Reply with quote

I cannot stay in or near a polluted place.

I have seen many lists online which state stuff, but I would rather here from people who have experienced the pollution-where is clean and where should I avoid?

I want to stay in a modern place, but one that is CLEAN in air and nature-like...not a HUGE city, but I do like Starbucks and modern amenities.

Ideas?

Laughing
doogsville

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuhai.
The bear

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Most polluted cities to Avoid Reply with quote

Iloveamma wrote:
I cannot stay in or near a polluted place.

I have seen many lists online which state stuff, but I would rather here from people who have experienced the pollution-where is clean and where should I avoid?

I want to stay in a modern place, but one that is CLEAN in air and nature-like...not a HUGE city, but I do like Starbucks and modern amenities.

Ideas?

Laughing

Avoid anywhere in the north/east.

http://aqicn.org/map/china/

This website has live information about air pollution. Use it and see which location you'd feel comfortable living in then do research from there.

Off the top of my head: Xiamen, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai...should be Ok most days. But even then, there will be very bad days.
HeidiHector

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like the others have said, the Southeast is your best bet.

Shunde (which borders Guangzhou) and Foshan (ditto) come to mind, too.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ALL cities are pretty rough in winter.

Xiamen got nasty in the winters I was there.
Iloveamma

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhhhh winters...and summers. Right. Seasons. Forgot those. Lol.

I have the idea of staying somewhere quite beautiful with some nature while giving me a good, westernized flat and job, WITH an accessible Starbucks and some decent restaurants where I can get vegetarian food...These few things, and I will be happy.

Is it possible to get a place which is blended...still a bit traditional mixed with big city life some km away?

Any other suggestions? I am taking notes.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iloveamma wrote:

I have the idea of staying somewhere quite beautiful with some nature while giving me a good, westernized flat and job, WITH an accessible Starbucks and some decent restaurants where I can get vegetarian food...These few things, and I will be happy.

During my 8 years in China I never saw a place that comes close to matching your description.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:
Iloveamma wrote:

During my 8 years in China I never saw a place that comes close to matching your description.

OP, China does not seem a fit for you at all. Even SH can be a pain for vegetarians let alone the smallers places with nature! Surely you can live without overpriced, overhyped Starbucks...
You need to ask yourself a serious question: Why do you want to come to China?
doogsville

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese vegetarian food seems to come in two packages. One is very expensive restaurants with beautiful interiors and very nicely presented food. However said food is basically tofu and mushrooms in a variety of guises. Strangely, those kind of vegetarian restaurants rarely seem to have just plain vegetable dishes. Then there's the buffet style restaurants, which serve a variety of dishes which are basically seasonal vegetables boiled or fried in some kind of sauce. You can get what are labelled as vegetable only dishes in any restaurant, but they're often served in a meat based sauce or turn up at the table with bits of meat in them.
Iloveamma

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by Iloveamma on Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Iloveamma

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to find out what it is like. I like Starbucks. I lived in India for many years without it and it is the only small enjoyment I have from life.
I am sure there is some place somewhat nature like...or at least with it nearby, where there is a Starbucks or other chain coffee shop.
Hence, I am asking questions. It is fine if you have not heard of it. That is why I am asking. The move may be just too big for me to do at this point. I am here to get questions answered.
HaveAGoodRest

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big problem with China imho...... Modern western amenities are typically present in cities and for all intensive purposes, every city in China is overpopulated and horridly polluted......

So that's the trade off with living in China: you live in a city with all the modern amenities but intense air pollution that will affect your long-term health, or you live in a tiny city or town with clean air but no sign of western life.
Iloveamma

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveAGoodRest wrote:
That's a big problem with China imho...... Modern western amenities are typically present in cities and for all intensive purposes, every city in China is overpopulated and horridly polluted......

So that's the trade off with living in China: you live in a city with all the modern amenities but intense air pollution that will affect your long-term health, or you live in a tiny city or town with clean air but no sign of western life.

Oh wow. Okay. So there is no in-between. I have to say, I am a bit surprised. So even the Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities are not a mixture of westernization AND nature? There are quite a few places in India like that.

Okay, Let me re-question. How about a MUCH less polluted city with nature within one hour? Does Foshan qualify?
Iloveamma

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
Chinese vegetarian food seems to come in two packages. One is very expensive restaurants with beautiful interiors and very nicely presented food. However said food is basically tofu and mushrooms in a variety of guises. Strangely, those kind of vegetarian restaurants rarely seem to have just plain vegetable dishes. Then there's the buffet style restaurants, which serve a variety of dishes which are basically seasonal vegetables boiled or fried in some kind of sauce. You can get what are labelled as vegetable only dishes in any restaurant, but they're often served in a meat based sauce or turn up at the table with bits of meat in them.

OMG..I just read this whole thing...That is not okay for me.
Seriously? Maybe I need to make a new thread for this alone. Lol. Is this true???
HaveAGoodRest

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Iloveamma I am totally in the same boat, I love the Tier 3 cities.

For the mix of being deep in Chinese culture, but having a link to the west, and everything is cheap and there's usually a small, manageable group of foreigners.

Plus Starbucks is also my one joy in life for some reason. Starbucks espresso is my muse. And I am not ashamed to say I love everything about working at a laptop in Starbucks - the perfect temperature, the seats that curve just right to fit my butt, the interesting people watching, the customer service, everything.

I probably haven't done enough research, I am sure there is something out there in China like what you are looking for. China is such a huge place.

I would definitely cross check the Starbucks store locator with the Berkeley Earth AQI map for any place you are considering. (To me, above 50 AQI is shady breathing air).

My one debbie downer comment is that as far as I've seen, if the place is big enough to have a Starbucks, it will be polluted af.

I don't think Starbucks has spread enough to the non-polluted places here yet.

I live about 1.5 hours from the nearest big-city Starbucks. The air is just like America here usually because it's a tiny city. But I can't get to Starbucks daily and have to go to that city, buy the espresso, take it home and grind it and brew it myself. So I can't sit at Starbucks, but I get a cup full of happiness every morning. To me I'm only here for one semester and my health is the top priority. But going back to America, I will definitely need to know the intersection of every Starbucks if I live in a small place again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: