Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two teachers plus a toddler - looking for advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pumpkin_pie

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Two teachers plus a toddler - looking for advice Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are looking for advice on our career move. We both have our master's in ed, TESOL certs, several years teaching kids and 5+ years of uni experience in Korea.

I like living in Korea because we are independent (both work, drive, have our own apt) and do financially well. However, in the future, we want better educational opportunities and other "normal kid" activities (friendships, sports, etc.)

I've been reading a lot but I'd like your advice. What should we be doing to prepare? I don't really want to go back to teaching kids but becoming certified teachers and finding an international school gig seems like a safer bet than trying for a uni position in the ME. Or is there a way to find a great uni position from outside the country?

Should we look anywhere else than the UAE? Where else is good for expat families?

Thank you!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gulf is changing. Hopefully you read in this forum that the major university English prep year programs in the UAE are dwindling down pending closure some time in 2018. That leaves k-12 private/international schools and public schools. Additionally, the government is moving forward with the requirement that all k-12 teachers in the UAE hold licensure. You can read about that in this forum as well. (Scroll down through discussions from the start of 2017.) That doesn't leave you with choices for the Emirates unless you're willing to head back to your home country to become licensed/certified and gain a couple of years of public school experience. But if you're desperate, there are the MoE opportunities (via a Google search using UAE ministry English jobs).

Frankly, Saudi Arabia has the most university opportunities in the region. However, I suspect the conservative kingdom is not your taste since you mentioned your independence. For other Gulf countries, your best bet is to attend the job fairs at either TESOL Arabia (Dubai), TESOL International Association (N. America), or IATEFL (UK). Take a look at their websites for 2018's conferences. University recruiters from Oman and Qatar generally hold in-person interviews at these events in March and April to fill slots for the upcoming academic year. Keep in mind, you'd be competing with veteran teachers who have Mid East experience. Plus, recruiters only attend if they expect openings, and there's no guarantee they'll accept applications from job seekers who aren't registered for the conference and job fair. Just some food for thought.

Check out Hong Kong, Mexico, and Central Asia (the 'Stans') for possible opportunities that fit your family's lifestyle and your qualifications. Otherwise, post your question on Two MAs - Where Should We Look? in the general discussion forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: