Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Echo agency in HZ - liars!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Echo agency in HZ - liars! Reply with quote

Out of interest I am checking what jobs are on offer in the China market, so I've been in touch with a few agencies.

One of them was Echo agency in HZ.

We were chatting on skype today, and they offered me a position in Ningbo. When I told them I don't like Ningbo they suddenly said "we have an unhappy record of you leaving Xiamen".

Complete and utter bollocks. I left Xiamen because my contract with Xiamen Uni had run it's course.

I asked where they pulled this nonsense from. They said "we have people in Xiamen".

What a pile of steaming elephant dung. I detest liars. Stay away from Echo agency in HZ!
rioux

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were leaving this place? (Time to hit the highway P2)
Thanks for the information about Echo in HZ. What a low class operation.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
I thought you were leaving this place? (Time to hit the highway P2)
Thanks for the information about Echo in HZ. What a low class operation.

Sniffing around to see what offers/packages are out there. Quite a lot of dismal ones to be honest.
rioux

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood.

No reason to up and leave since you are already here without searching around first.
It took my wife and I a lot of time and effort to get our next job. We originally had another one all set up at a different school and were ready to sign on but when they sent us the contract a major thing that we specifically asked about (and they agreed upon) was suddenly changed (of course not in our favor). Incredible. What a waste of time.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I'm beginning to lean more and more towards finding private work and not bothering with having so much from a set job.

I used to think that was the way forward, that having a large set salary and peppering with privates was the way forward, but have since realised a few things:

A) The actual pay per hour is normally low. If they ask you to do 9-5 that's 40 hours a week, so even if you end up with 16000 after tax, that's 100 per hour.
b)Tax becomes ridiculous once over about 17,000. Paying 20-25% tax when you see absolutely no use of it[what do you get for your tax money?] I know it sounds bad but just getting cash each time from privates works.
c)The holidays are often abysmal. I've seen more and more jobs offer either 5 days holiday a year [?!?!?!] or the pay is half for the summer and winter OR even less.

So yeah, job offers seem to actually be getting worse.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
I have to say, I'm beginning to lean more and more towards finding private work and not bothering with having so much from a set job.

I used to think that was the way forward, that having a large set salary and peppering with privates was the way forward, but have since realised a few things:

A) The actual pay per hour is normally low. If they ask you to do 9-5 that's 40 hours a week, so even if you end up with 16000 after tax, that's 100 per hour.
b)Tax becomes ridiculous once over about 17,000. Paying 20-25% tax when you see absolutely no use of it[what do you get for your tax money?] I know it sounds bad but just getting cash each time from privates works.
c)The holidays are often abysmal. I've seen more and more jobs offer either 5 days holiday a year [?!?!?!] or the pay is half for the summer and winter OR even less.

Intersting point LC, what benefits do we get from our tax money, none as far as I can see?
Also, can we even claim tax back if/when we decide to leave China?
But I'd imagine it would be quite difficult to make enough money off privates alone without a day job, particularly if you're not established here (the day job is also important for security - residence permit).
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:

b)Tax becomes ridiculous once over about 17,000. Paying 20-25% tax when you see absolutely no use of it[what do you get for your tax money?]

You don't pay 25% on your entire salary, only the portion above a certain threshold. The truth is most of us pay pathetically low taxes and don't have much to complain about in that regard.

getbehindthemule wrote:
LarssonCrew wrote:

Intersting point LC, what benefits do we get from our tax money, none as far as I can see?

Well, I'm sure you both use roads, bridges, airports, the electrical grid, running water, parks, subways and other such elements of infrastructure that are fully or partially funded by taxes. Now, if you never use any of these things, I feel for ya (in more ways than one) Laughing
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien abductee wrote:
LarssonCrew wrote:

b)Tax becomes ridiculous once over about 17,000. Paying 20-25% tax when you see absolutely no use of it[what do you get for your tax money?]

You don't pay 25% on your entire salary, only the portion above a certain threshold. The truth is most of us pay pathetically low taxes and don't have much to complain about in that regard.

getbehindthemule wrote:
LarssonCrew wrote:

Well, I'm sure you both use roads, bridges, airports, the electrical grid, running water, parks, subways and other such elements of infrastructure that are fully or partially funded by taxes. Now, if you never use any of these things, I feel for ya (in more ways than one) Laughing

I get your point but we pay for such things as electricity, water etc. separately! We have no benefits if we are unemployed for a period or if we retire here, also our taxes don't do anything for us if we are sick, we can't get good deals from banks re housing loans etc. that Chinese teachers can get. The tax rates are very low for those on a low salary (eg. Uni position) but I'm paying almost 2k per month tax on an average salary here in Shanghai. I'm sure many FTs are paying 3 & 4k in taxes here.
I do agree that the transportation system is second to none here and cheap as chips. Parks are maintained well, etc. so I get your point to a certain extent Wink
jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Jiangsu and they started to impose an income tax on teachers, the rationale was so the teachers could help pay for the infrastructure and services they use.

"Also, can we even claim tax back if/when we decide to leave China?"
There is also the social tax which runs about 11.5 percent for the teacher and about 35% for the school. The potential benefits are many including health insurance, unemployment, maternity leave, pension, transportation card.

I believe that right now they are are only giving out the health care and transportation card. None of the others a foreigner can in general legally do as of present. So, it is a joke that they make the teachers and the schools pay for them.

They have talked about allowing foreigners to draw a pension after they leave China, but I can't see them ever actually paying out considering the reality of China's impending pension crisis.

Last I read, a foreigner who paid this social tax could apply for a refund for the roughly 10% which was accumulated and never used. The funny part is one had to start the application approximately three days before leaving China and a handful of steps had to be completed in quick succession for the refund to occur.

I think a few people have reported here and there that they did indeed receive it. I think the vast majority never apply for it. I would think many would be on these boards complaining how they got screwed out of it as someone in the school/government/bank screwed it up somehow.

The school gets none of it back. It is a money grab by the government to try to shore up declining revenues for a pension system that has a very bleak future due to China's demographics.

Most could care less about the schools having to pay the 35%. But I have argued before that this tax along with the very high fees to now process a z-visa are causing a huge increase in labor costs for the schools.

I am of the belief that this is partially behind the cuts in holiday pay and mediocre salary increases, despite the march of constant inflation and a very tight labor market for qualified teachers.
The bear

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a bit off topic but I'll chime in on the tax thing.

It really does annoy me how heavily taxed the foreigners are in this country, especially when it doesn't seem to go towards anything. Even more so when estimates suggest only 1.5 - 8% of Chinese people pay income tax.

https://books.google.co.in/books?dq=population+paying+income+tax+in+china&hl=en&id=ajGVBwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA7&ots=2jb0ZUQsiy&pg=PA7&sa=X&sig=yps0vOH6gIFI9Tx2eRnHV3jAa3s&source=bl&ved=0ahUKEwjxrJOx9eTPAhWGtI8KHf66C1UQ6AEIbTAH#v=onepage&q=population%20paying%20income%20tax%20in%20china&f=false

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2011/0831/China-to-cut-income-tax-for-60-million-people

So yeah... I try not to think about it. Especially considering how shady the business practices are here. So the next time a local says something like 'you foreign teachers earn so much', correct them with things like lack of pension, lack of subsidized health care, no grey money (hongbaos), no bonuses etc. etc.
frankieboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I worked for Echo towards the end of 2016. Total liars, and thieves!
GreatApe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for clarity's sake, does "HZ" refer to Hangzhou? Question

Because, as far as I know, there are several "HZ's" in China.

--GA
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatApe wrote:
Just for clarity's sake, does "HZ" refer to Hangzhou? Question

Because, as far as I know, there are several "HZ's" in China.

--GA

Yes.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that for me, OP!

--GA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: