Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher benefits at Kfupm
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertfox

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Teacher benefits at Kfupm Reply with quote

I guess this may apply to all or a lot of direct hire positions at Saudi Universities.

I am reflecting on the fact of the mediocre benefits now provided by Kfupm to their teaching staff.

One paid for flight a year (and that has now become a qualified benefit, in many cases teachers pay 50% of the cost).

Teachers are obliged to pay for their Iqama (once they have arrived), plus any exit/entry visas that they require.

Moreover, the medical cover is skimpy. There is a clinic on the campus for the very basics, with a dodgy dentist who looks like he has seen better days (professionally).
There is no optical provision whatsoever.

It must also be borne in mind that the applicant pays up front for everything when applying for the work visa in the UK. Including the medical costs.

Historically, direct hire positions at universities attracted lower salaries, which was fair enough. But with the benefits being undermined so much now due to the cuts. it is more and more questionable as to whether these positions have the same viability.

Especially if you factor in the proposed income tax imposition that has been long talked about.
AV15

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed they get anyone out there for the laughable 12000 SAR a month many places offer now.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Historically, direct hire positions at universities attracted lower salaries, which was fair enough. But with the benefits being undermined so much now due to the cuts. it is more and more questionable as to whether these positions have the same viability.

Teacher salaries throughout KSA generally have been on the decline over the past few years -- that's not a new phenomenon. The country's oil slump apparently has put benefits for foreigners on the chopping block as well.

However, I disagree that direct-hire university positions "historically attracted lower salaries" (unless you're comparing the level of pay with some military and oil contracts). Direct-hire salaries in KSA and elsewhere in the GCC are usually calculated based on the job candidate's years of verified experience, relevant degree level, nationality, etc., which is why specific pay is rarely, if ever, indicated in job ads. So someone offered 12,000/mo SR by a university either has lukewarm/minimal qualifications and/or can prove just one or two years of relevant, post-qualification experience.

As for viability in the region in general, that topic was discussed in What's left of the ME and TEFLdom??
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After working for starvation wages in a place like Poland or Indonesia, an offer at KFUPM may seem attractive !
hash

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AV15 wrote:
I'm amazed they get anyone out there for the laughable 12000 SAR a month many places offer now.

SAR12000/month comes out to US$38,400/year salary.

Free housing (including utilities) = $1200/month = US$14400/year (this would actually be a lot more in the US, especially for a family).

That's US$52800/year so far. + Add 20% tax free = US$7680/year = US$60480 (salary and benefits)

This does not include things like subsidized food, subsidized gas (petrol), transportation and missc. By now, you're getting close to:

= US$70,000/year (salary, benefits, other savings).

No ESL job anywhere in the US...unless you're a full time, PhD university professor on a tenure track with at least a decade of work and publications behind you (and many more to come)....gets anywhere near that gross salary/benefits. It just doesn't happen.

currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above figures are somewhat exaggerated. Costs include some guys shelling out 1500 USD in medical/visa fees just to get to the magic kingdom. No reimbursement. You get charged 200 SAR every time you want to leave the country (300 SAR for summer break). Iqama renewal costs 500 SAR every year.

Another factor is that almost no one starts their contract in the first year when they should. I was three months late, and the average seems to be between two - four months. This is all lost earnings.

Overall, 12,000 SAR is pretty low for KSA.
hash

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
The above figures are somewhat exaggerated. Costs include some guys shelling out 1500 USD in medical/visa fees just to get to the magic kingdom. No reimbursement. You get charged 200 SAR every time you want to leave the country (300 SAR for summer break). Iqama renewal costs 500 SAR every year.

Another factor is that almost no one starts their contract in the first year when they should. I was three months late, and the average seems to be between two - four months. This is all lost earnings.

I can't disagree with you here. Where I disagree is the implication that all this is somewhat "new".....It isn't.

All your examples, including the 1 round trip ticket per year you mentioned in your previous posting (the OP mentioned it...not you...sorry) have been in place at KFUPM for years (according to my very reliable sources), more likely decades , although I admit costs have gone up.

Comparing the military jobs and outfits like Aramco with a university job is futile. All those outfits will pay all costs, it's true, and significantly more in salary. But you pay for it, baby, you pay for it. The work load is nearly inhuman and vacations minimal.

Adding it all up, for example, a university job offers (without so stating officially) nearly 4 months total "time off, vacation" and sometimes it's closer to 5 months off (if you add it all up). I don't know about you, but the older I get, the more precious that time off becomes to me.

The military jobs, for example, expect you to last about 2 years and then off you go (or off your rocker you will go). So salaries are high enough to attract you for a couple of years. The unis, on the other hand, expect you to last about 10 years and more. Salaries at unis will EVENTUALLY equal the military salaries IF YOU STICK AROUND LONG ENOUGH. They don't want you for a couple of years....they want you for keeps.

Anyone doing a decent job of research in a quest for a KSA job will soon find all this out. I'm not revealing anything new here. To me it sounds like you're disappointed in the job you have because you're comparing it to other jobs you've now heard about and you're resenting your "lower salary status."

But all the information to make a good decision has been out there for years and you either missed it or didn't feel it applied to you.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacation time is a big plus when working at universities. It does help you survive. Salary increases are on hold at my university, though. Freeze across the board.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hash has summed it all up very well.
hash

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
Costs include some guys shelling out 1500 USD in medical/visa fees.......No reimbursement..... You get charged 200 SAR every time you want to leave the country (300 SAR for summer break)....... Iqama renewal costs 500 SAR every year.

[b]I just want to add these additional points here. Yes, you're right on this one. I don't think employees necessarily "care" about these costs (in the long run). What they resent is not being told about them beforehand.
It's only after the fact, so to speak that one is made aware of these "fees", and one rightly feels that he's been duped. ("HAHA, guesss what....?)

This is especially true now, when these charges have nearly doubled from what they recently were. And more of these "charges" are on the way. What is it now? If you're married with a child, you're to pay SAR100/monthly per dependent going up to SAR200/month for each one next year? and more in 2019. These are getting to be significant charges (taxes is what they really are).

And as far as I know, no employment contract is uttering a peep about them....like they don't exist or don't apply to you. Totally irresponsible in my opinion.

All I can say is that we should keep in mind that these are government edicts, not employers'. (Still, mention of them should be made....isn't a current buzzword the so called "TRANSPARENCY"?)

Again, I agree. Employers should really be a little more up front about these possible delays although again, it's nothing they're doing that causes these delays but rather (supposedly) the KSA consulates overseas. (Not oddly, military contractors can get an entry visa nearly overnight, so I hear...talk about wasta).

Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For BA in non-English, CELTA and 12 years ESL experience I was offered 13500.

The non-refundable Iqama fees are a bind, plus transport and accom. to go back to the UK.

The holidays are still a plus (compared with the 30 days for Colleges of Excellence etc).
The accommodation is provided as well and is acceptable.

I pulled out due to the Iqama and a 15000 SAR (standardised) offer for a CoE, plus a business visa paid for by the company via Bahrain.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
For BA in non-English, CELTA and 12 years ESL experience I was offered 13500.

The non-refundable Iqama fees are a bind, plus transport and accom. to go back to the UK.

The holidays are still a plus (compared with the 30 days for Colleges of Excellence etc).
The accommodation is provided as well and is acceptable.

I pulled out due to the Iqama and a 15000 SAR (standardised) offer for a CoE, plus a business visa paid for by the company via Bahrain.

1. 13,500 SAR was offered to you by KFUPM?

2. 15,000 SAR excluding accommodation? CoE packages don't usually include accommodation.
1chunk

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hash wrote:
currentaffairs wrote:

I can't disagree with you here. Where I disagree is the implication that all this is somewhat "new".....It isn't.

All your examples, including the 1 round trip ticket per year you mentioned in your previous posting (the OP mentioned it...not you...sorry) have been in place at KFUPM for years (according to my very reliable sources), more likely decades , although I admit costs have gone up.

Comparing the military jobs and outfits like Aramco with a university job is futile. All those outfits will pay all costs, it's true, and significantly more in salary. But you pay for it, baby, you pay for it. The work load is nearly inhuman and vacations minimal.

Adding it all up, for example, a university job offers (without so stating officially) nearly 4 months total "time off, vacation" and sometimes it's closer to 5 months off (if you add it all up). I don't know about you, but the older I get, the more precious that time off becomes to me.

The military jobs, for example, expect you to last about 2 years and then off you go (or off your rocker you will go). So salaries are high enough to attract you for a couple of years. The unis, on the other hand, expect you to last about 10 years and more. Salaries at unis will EVENTUALLY equal the military salaries IF YOU STICK AROUND LONG ENOUGH. They don't want you for a couple of years....they want you for keeps.

Anyone doing a decent job of research in a quest for a KSA job will soon find all this out. I'm not revealing anything new here. To me it sounds like you're disappointed in the job you have because you're comparing it to other jobs you've now heard about and you're resenting your "lower salary status."

But all the information to make a good decision has been out there for years and you either missed it or didn't feel it applied to you.

Well said.

Whilst I agree 12k is not exactly an amazing salary but it's more than enough, especially for someone single.

Costs have gone up now now and unfortunately salaries have remained stagnant and dropped. So it's not the same as before but that's the world we live in now. It's tough wherever you go and Saudi is not immune.

I met some direct hire teachers in a university prep year recently, they've all been here on average 8 years. If you've completed just a few then you are still regarded as a newbie! So that backs what you are saying.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries at unis will equal starting salaries at military/oil if you stick around long enough. But that doesn't take into account that those who stick around in military/oil are also seeing their salary go up by meaningful amounts year on year.

Standard US company payrises are 4%. On 25,000 a month that's 1000 a month extra. 12,000 SAR a year extra.

Stick around for a few years and do the maths yourself. A uni job will never come close.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12,000 for direct hire is rubbish, but because KFUPM is one of the best universities, it probably doesn't have to try very hard to get staff, so there is no reason for wages to rise. Lesser-known universities in smaller cities pay a lot more.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: