Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaving the UK - questions

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ScarletDom93



Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Leaving the UK - questions Reply with quote

Hi all

I am half way through my CELTA and have been reading through quite a few threads on here with interest. I'm 23. My educational background is that I have a BSc Education & Psychology and also a PGCE (PCET)

I'm due to finish the CELTA around the end of June so will then be looking into the process of finding a job (Vietnam is quite appealing to me at the moment).

I just have a few questions with regards to leaving the UK. Once I have secured a job or that I decide to fly to another country to seek work whilst on the ground who do I need to inform that I'm moving away? I'm quite confused at the whole process.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
getbehindthemule



Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 436
Location: Shanghai

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a BSc + PGCE, so you could aim for a Science teaching position at an IS in Asia? Even being inexperienced, these positions are in demand throughout Asia. Much more interesting than teaching English imo.
What's your plan? Be aware that getting a CELTA and gaining experience teaching English in Vietnam may not be considered 'real teaching experience' on your professional teaching resume! If you're just looking at a gap year or two, fair enough.

'who do I need to inform that I'm moving away?'
Not sure what you mean by this, but obviously family & friends, your current employer (if you have one). I wouldn't bother calling Teresa May or the Queen as they're probably quite busy Wink

The best of luck and post on the job related boards for more info (The Vietnam & China boards are usually pretty active).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MuscatGary



Joined: 03 Jun 2013
Posts: 1359
Location: Flying around the ME...

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inform the Inland Revenue that you are going to be non-domiciled for tax purposes. Also make arrangements to continue paying voluntary NI contributions whilst abroad. Tell your GP to archive your medical records. If you intend to use 'a British bank account or debit/credit card tell them where you are going to avoid being blocked for suspicious transactions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ScarletDom93



Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:
You have a BSc + PGCE, so you could aim for a Science teaching position at an IS in Asia? Even being inexperienced, these positions are in demand throughout Asia. Much more interesting than teaching English imo.
What's your plan? Be aware that getting a CELTA and gaining experience teaching English in Vietnam may not be considered 'real teaching experience' on your professional teaching resume! If you're just looking at a gap year or two, fair enough.

'who do I need to inform that I'm moving away?'
Not sure what you mean by this, but obviously family & friends, your current employer (if you have one). I wouldn't bother calling Teresa May or the Queen as they're probably quite busy Wink

The best of luck and post on the job related boards for more info (The Vietnam & China boards are usually pretty active).


Thanks for the advice. My PGCE is in PCET (Post Compulsory Education) which involves 16+. International Schools require PGCE Primary with QTS which is a different qualification altogether.


Thanks MuscatGary for the advice. If i am non-domiciled for tax purposes and I pay NI is it entirely voluntary or is there a set % of earnings that I would need to pay?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tellersquill



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
Inform the Inland Revenue that you are going to be non-domiciled for tax purposes. Also make arrangements to continue paying voluntary NI contributions whilst abroad. Tell your GP to archive your medical records. If you intend to use 'a British bank account or debit/credit card tell them where you are going to avoid being blocked for suspicious transactions.


Why would we want to pay NI??

I'm getting private health insurance - the NHS wont cover me in asia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HLJHLJ



Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 1160
Location: Ecuador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to retire when you are 137 on your £50/week state pension.

(If you are living overseas, and are no longer 'ordinarily resident' in the UK, you aren't entitled to free NHS care whether you pay voluntary stamp or not).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tellersquill



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 83

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
You might want to retire when you are 137 on your £50/week state pension.

(If you are living overseas, and are no longer 'ordinarily resident' in the UK, you aren't entitled to free NHS care whether you pay voluntary stamp or not).


You have to contribute NI payments for 40 years to get a pension. But if you don't then they still give you cash anyway because they cant let you starve. I think it is now called universal income, but essentially they make sure you have cash.

If you do not pay taxes or NI then you are not allowed to claim benefits - including NHS - three months after your arrival back in the UK. So make sure you have savings and not reliant on the welfare state for at least three months!

I'm not making recommendation whether people should opt into NI or not when they abroad - that is there call I would say.

(my Social Policy degree finally coming in use).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knedliki



Joined: 08 May 2015
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voluntary NI system is changing as of April 2018. Class 2 contributions that most people abroad pay are being stopped and a universal class 4 system is being introduced.
Whatever the jargon it'll probably be more expensive.



http://www.ukbudget.com/2016-measures/abolition-of-class-2-national-insurance-contributions.aspx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HLJHLJ



Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 1160
Location: Ecuador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was 35 years stamp for a state pension now (though they seem to change it practically every year).

You are entitled to NHS care as soon as you are ordinarily resident again, which is immediate for most people. Paying tax or stamp while you are out is irrelevant.

With the new changes coming next year, it's about to get even more complicated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reblair79



Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving the UK - questions Reply with quote

ScarletDom93 wrote:
Hi all

I am half way through my CELTA and have been reading through quite a few threads on here with interest. I'm 23. My educational background is that I have a BSc Education & Psychology and also a PGCE (PCET)

I'm due to finish the CELTA around the end of June so will then be looking into the process of finding a job (Vietnam is quite appealing to me at the moment).

I just have a few questions with regards to leaving the UK. Once I have secured a job or that I decide to fly to another country to seek work whilst on the ground who do I need to inform that I'm moving away? I'm quite confused at the whole process.

Any help would be much appreciated.


I am leaving the UK to teach in Vietnam for at least a year in a few weeks and it would appear that the HMRC P85 form is the one that is required. At least I hope so anyway as this is what I am going to fill in. I don't think there are any other official channels you NEED to tell.

Maybe also look at getting certain vaccines and looking carefully at your current and future banking situation when you will be overseas.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China