Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work online; live in Mexico

View previous topic :: View next topic  
water rat

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Work online; live in Mexico Reply with quote

How's this for a plan? Get an online teaching gig, rent a modest apartment in Mexico and live humbly on the $15-20/hr it would bring in. I am an Norteamericano with some family ties to the southwestern states.

Perhaps it would be convenient for me to live in the general region then, that is to say in the far north of Mexico, so I can slip across the border from time to time and check in. (Trump's wall will have gates. won't it? And my US passport will be the key.)

Is the cost of living in old Mexico still relatively low? How is the Wi-Fi? Is it a viable plan to live in say, Nogales and stay up nights tutoring Chinese or Korean students on the other side of the world? I'm just asking "/

Muchos gracias for any thoughts you all might have.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stay away from the places that rent specifically to gringos and it should work fine. Maybe near an airport is better than just focusing on the north. Look for where there are flights too from the Southwest city you would be flying into.
water rat

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I thought of that first part. I would leave the city center; just so long as I am near a grocer's or wet market of some kind. Your airport idea is good. I was carrying over my China way of thinking. I enjoy long train trips, so I was thinking in terms of bus rides in the states. So old Mexico is up to speed on Wi-Fi?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Just stay away from the places that rent specifically to gringos and it should work fine. Maybe near an airport is better than just focusing on the north. Look for where there are flights too from the Southwest city you would be flying into.

Agreed. Living in a border town is pretty dangerous right now. You might find a mid range town more to your liking, in terms of rent. Internet has improved vastly in the last 5 years - I live in a town of 12,000 and have relatively fast and very stable internet. Have only had two outages in the 4 and a half years I have lived here. Maybe look at Guanajuanto, Leon, Queretaro, something in the center of the country where you should be safe, have fairly inexpensive rent and have access to an airport. There are a couple of good, low cost Mexican airlines that fly to the US - Volaris and Interjet - which have good service and if you book in advance - can be cheap. There is a third airline, VivaAerobus that is also cheap, but I can't comment on the service since I have never used them
lovelatinamerica

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Southern California is where you want to go, but you can fly into the Tijuana airport and cross over into San Diego through a bridge called CBX that connects from the US to the Tijuana airport. It would be cheaper to fly to Tijuana than a US city because it is domestic.

Tijuana is nowhere near as dangerous now as it was in the past. There are many Americans who live there and cross everyday for work and other things in San Diego. The line is pretty terrible for driving across though. It is very long.

Living in a mid-sized city somewhere in the central or southern part of Mexico near an airport sounds better. You would get a more authentic Mexico experience because you don't get a border culture with it.
Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto about TJ. It's not bad, but you might look down the coast to Ensenada. Great weather year round and relatively safe. Not bad cost of living and in two hours you can get to Tijuana and be across the border. Bonus is that it's easy to keep a car in Baja so you can drive up to the US from time to time.
srs3829

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people who are doing exactly this. For recommendations on good places, you may want to check out the Facebook group "VIPKID teachers in Mexico."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: