Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frugal existence for sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Frugal existence for sure. Reply with quote

So after a couple of weeks working at a government school- the reality of the financial situation finally dawns......33 thou Bht monthly pay, which will have tax deductions 'once' legally employed....in order to become legally employed there are total visa expenses of 7-8 thou Bht, met by 'me' not the employer. Shocked Then, there's the monthly rent + bills....didn't think running an ac could be so expensive-another 8 thou Bht a month. Mad A little bit of calculation determines that my total disposable income will be less than 1thou Bht per day! Razz Thanks, but no thanks-not for working 45 hous a week-teaching 24 classes a week..... Rolling Eyes Out of here....who's staying?
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My accost about 400 THB per month....inverter with gov electric rate...co Mon knowledge to avoid apartments with mark ups. But, you thought you were smart to get low rent. 7-8k for visa run to Vientiane... good estimate. Best to find a school that will do it for you. 24 classes? would be 25-30 in the ?US...for four times the money. 280 minutes of teaching, per day is common.
You might be able to get the tax withholdings back if you only worked part of the year...free ride on first 150k. Difference between what you oiwe and what is withheld. Don't forget Thai SS. I live off 30K, easily, but no rent, or work expenses. Saved five million in the States. Would lime to teach, but just too many Bozos in it. Paperwork is total BS.
Tazz

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as a newcomer I've no idea about the reality of the private apartment 'mark up' on the utilities charges.....which is intriguing-it was a case of last minute 'take what you can get' upon arrival for me.....but 1600 Bht for the leccy does seem a little high for only 10 days use.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The government rate is under 4 THB per unit. 8 is common in apartments.
VRP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Really? Reply with quote

Did you not look any of the costs up before moving?
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't search for the rates of electricity, no.....I should have searched regarding the amount that the government are paying to the agencies for a teacher each year-almost a million per teacher I have heard from a reliable source. Shocked No wonder the agency is promoting the 'importance' of appearance and doing whatever extracurricular activities are asked of the teacher.....the school feels they are entitled to it, and rightly so. So in addition to the 45 hour working week with 24 classes, poor old 'agency hire' finds himself doing shed loads of other duties. And for what? 30 thou Bht a month. Piggy in the middle....for sure! Crying or Very sad
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
I didn't search for the rates of electricity, no.....I should have searched regarding the amount that the government are paying to the agencies for a teacher each year-almost a million per teacher I have heard from a reliable source. Shocked No wonder the agency is promoting the 'importance' of appearance and doing whatever extracurricular activities are asked of the teacher.....the school feels they are entitled to it, and rightly so. So in addition to the 45 hour working week with 24 classes, poor old 'agency hire' finds himself doing shed loads of other duties. And for what? 30 thou Bht a month. Piggy in the middle....for sure! Crying or Very sad

600k baht /year for a white face with a generic BA; not a million and the agency gets 480-540k per year with the rest disappearing before the agency is even considered.

VRP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: It's a shame! Reply with quote

It's sad that it happened to you, and great that you are using it as a learning experience (as well as telling others about it).

It goes back to the 'industry' of ESL. Employers and agents will lie to get you there, and there are so many red flags that are ignored. Basically, if it's a 'no teaching degree required! No experience required! Native speakers only!' kind of job that is only hiring you because of the colour of your skin, assume *someone* up the line is profiting from it waaaaaay more than you are. You have been hired as a place holder, a promo item, a gimmick, a face on a poster to be shown to parents... and not as a teacher.

It's easy to entice people to places like Thailand with promises of beaches and a low cost-of-living. Thirty K baht is about $880 USD, or about $200 per week. On a 40 hour work week, that's $5 an hour. Yes, the cost of living in SE Asia can be lower than back home, but not *that* low.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately have seen adverts by Thighland rwcruitersin South African newspapers for South African EFL teachers to teach in Thailand....they specify only white, young (undet 30) year olds who are seeking work in paradise...offer Baths 30.ooo monthly salary...more than they can make here....
Tazz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah an interesting experience for sure.....encountering the Thai state education system which seems firmly entrenched in the 1950's or even before! Shocked And the amount asked for-at these thai government schools is truly shocking, for the paltry salaries paid by whatever agent. The older 30 thou Bht a month 'entrenched' guys are incredibly defensive of their positions as well, until you mention something that hits home with them-such as 'which of the beautiful island resorts do you spend your 2 week vacation on, in October? Or will it be the dormitory in Pattaya again this year?' Smile
Shakey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I work and earn money in Korea and Japan, and do my MOD EDIT and boozing on the beach in Phuket. Follow this rule: Earn in the North and party in the South.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those on the 30 thou Bht agency salary aren't doing any MOD EDIT and very little boozing......their excitement is limited to an occasional visit to pizza Co. But not EVERY week..... Very Happy
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One may assume from the two MOD EDITs above this thread is now receiving additional attention by the Mod Team.

If more MOD EDITs are required after this thread is unlocked, it will no longer be available and those responsible for its removal will be sanctioned.

Sanctions can and do result in permanent bans including ISPs.
ScarletDom93

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest OP, where are you teaching in Thailand?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: