Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Healthcare

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNexpatesl

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Healthcare Reply with quote

Tried the search, but couldn't find anything up to date.

How is healthcare in VN, and more specifically, Saigon, these days? Is it up to par, or are people still opting to go to Bangkok for more serious health matters? The article about the British expat has me a bit worried I'd be screwed if I ever got into a major accident there.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my personal experience, health care in VN is quite adequate and affordable for minor problems. Conditions in clinics and hospitals can be fairly basic and language barriers still exist though.

Regarding major accidents, I know a small number of people who recovered from motorbike accidents in local hospitals. However, their injuries were not life-threatening.

In short, if you have some sort of chronic health issue(s) or concerns about the quality of medical treatment, VN may not be the best place to live. The country is rapidly developing, but still has a way to go yet.

Also, if health is a concern, the idea of living in Saigon should certainly be off the table. Air quality is low, stress levels from noise pollution are high. Also, with the traffic situation, you may not even reach the hospital.

Jammed Saigon set to launch air ambulance service
http://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/jammed-saigon-set-to-launch-air-ambulance-service-3580114.html

"Ho Chi Minh City is set to launch air ambulances to handle emergencies in Vietnam's largest city where traffic jams are the norm.

"The Vietnam Helicopter Corporation has started drawing up a feasibility plan to use a helipad on top of a 36-story building on Nguyen Hue Street in the city's downtown."

Flooding is also a major problem in HCMC:

Ho Chi Minh City under water following ‘unprecedented’ unseasonal rain
http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/40328/ho-chi-minh-city-under-water-following-unprecedented-unseasonal-rain

Basically, I'd say living in VN requires a great degree of endurance and perseverance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: