Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South African ESL teachers in Vietnam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: South African ESL teachers in Vietnam? Reply with quote

Howdy all, I am now a Canadian citizen, I taught ESL in HCMC for about a year 2008/9 and enjoyed it a lot. I was born and raised in South Africa and a number of family and friends living there are keen to learn more about ESL teaching in Vietnam now and in the short-term future, mid 2017.

South African ESL teachers are welcome in Korea and Taiwan, where I also lived, but I cannot recall any in Vietnam. Are there any South Africans on here now teaching in Vietnam? Or anyone who knows of any, and whether or not Vietnam makes any important distinction re South Africans (white and of colour, native English speakers with education) compared to citizens of the five major English-speaking countries - USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand. Any info gratefully received, thank you.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can usually add Ireland to the 5 and make it 6.

The only distinction you will find in SE Asia is that S.Africans may also need to "prove" their English proficiency.

As an example, in Thailand they NEED to have a valid TOEIC test cert when they apply for their teacher permit, visa and work permit (IELTS and TOEFL are also accepted by immigration).

There is a bias based on color (darker is not better) regardless of country of origin. Darker Asians are less preferable than lighter Asians, Caucasians over others.

Blacks can find work but they will struggle to find the work and will often be required to "authenticate" their documents (degree, transcripts, police check, etc.) with embassy stamps, foreign office authentications, notarization, etc. Vietnam is not a member of the Hague Apostille Convention so an apostille is not necessary.

Authentication is also becoming more common for other races now but it is often more pronounced for non-Caucasians.

[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Suphanburi. I guess I was including Ireland in the UK, oops, I take your point, of course Ireland is included in the list of major English-speaking countries for purposes of teaching ESL. I hear you re South Africans needing to prove their English proficiency, and that darker is not better in this regard. Oh well, on we trudge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: