Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nizwa university 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Nizwa university 2017 Reply with quote

Hi

I've just been offered a job at the university of NIzwa (foundation institute). I've had a look at previous posts about the university and I'm just looking for more up to date info about the place. I would love to hear from anyone who's already there.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the job is okay but a few months ago the staff went on strike because they weren't paid for a few months.
A.A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about that... Do you know if the place has a problem with paying salaries or delays in salary payment?

Also, how's their accommodation like?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a couple of guys who used to work there and they didn't have any big issues with the place. Accommodation was average, I think.
A.A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are the single furnished apartments in Nizwa? If anyone who is currently there or left recently I would appreciate if they could drop me a PM.

thanks for the info guys. Smile
open chakras

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Nizwa University 2017 Reply with quote

The university has a sorted past. It was given huge amounts of money to build a new university. No one seems to know where the money went and there isn't a new university. The Foundation was given lots of money to write their own materials and the result were loads of books filled with mistakes, esp. the TOEFL books. As for the apartments, the rent is given in your pay and then taken away regardless of the actual cost. The housing department like the others is corrupt.
A.A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work in KSA a couple years ago and I remember there was an option where you would be given an allowance and find your own accommodation. I was hoping there would be a similar arrangement in Oman.
open chakras

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: University of Nizwa 2017 Reply with quote

Your best bet for that is to not live in Nizwa and have a good excuse for needing to live elsewhere, like Muscat.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way that you would commute to Nizwa from Muscat every day. You would spend the whole day driving... on dangerous roads.

VS
open chakras

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Nizwa University 2017 Reply with quote

If that were true, then there weren't be any teachers doing it and there are. The university has a bus for teachers who commute. As far as I know, it hasn't had an accident. Teachers do lots of things during this time, like sleep, preparing lessons and writing their students essays/projects for them. There are other advantages including not having to teach late classes or show up for early preparation for testing.

Probably, there isn't another way to get your housing allowance and choose your own place in Nizwa. All the other teachers will want to it and the housing people will lose their'profit'as they are running a business.
open chakras

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Nizwa University 2017 Reply with quote

By the way, you should also know if you must live in Nizwa, try not to live by the fort. It will take the same amount of time to get home from work (Nizwa university isn't in Nizwa) as it takes to get to Muscat.
A.A

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted the moving out option as a back up plan incase their accommodation is run down or if the Internet is bad. I can't live without Internet I will go nuts. Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Nizwa University 2017 Reply with quote

open chakras wrote:
If that were true, then there weren't be any teachers doing it and there are. The university has a bus for teachers who commute. As far as I know, it hasn't had an accident. Teachers do lots of things during this time, like sleep, preparing lessons and writing their students essays/projects for them. There are other advantages including not having to teach late classes or show up for early preparation for testing.

I can't think of a less pleasant option than this drive twice every day. That is a 1-2 hour commute each way depending on traffic and location in Muscat. Even from most of Muscat to SQU wouldn't even be an option to me. Life is too short to spend that much time in a commute.

YMMV... but best to give posters the reality... it is likely most people would rather live close to work and visit Muscat on weekends if needed.

VS
open chakras

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Nizwa University 2017 Reply with quote

Sure A.A. I get it. Hopefully, you'll be shown more than one place to choose from. Before you decide, I suggest you visit the place on your own later on at night. Peaceful quiet neighborhoods can transform themselves into completely different places at night. Getting a good night sleep may be something you can;t live without.

As for the internet, it's true newer places are better, but mostly i don't think it will be a big issue. Unless of course the place doesn't have internet and you have to get it yourself.

Good luck and enjoy Oman, it's beautiful!
open chakras

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: University of Nizwa 2017 Reply with quote

VS wrote:

[but best to give posters the reality, its likely most people would rather live close to work and visit Muscat on weekends, if needed]

Actually VS, I answered the post's question to the best of my knowledge. I'm sure the post is quite able to make the right decision for them. I noticed you didn't even try to answer the question. Can the post get their housing allowance and find their own place? Any ideas of your own? Or are you just interested in attacking my answer as you so often do to others.

Then the post gave reasons for their question and again, I tried to answer it with the knowledge I have. I noticed that other teachers at NU don't suggest anything.

Secondly, only go to Muscat on weekends and only if needed. That's an interesting answer. Loads of people go to Muscat during the week and on weekends not because they need to rather they choose it. Muscat is an important cultural center of Oman. There is the Opera House, numerous festivals, socials clubs for foreigners, not to mention great restaurants and beaches, just to mention a few.

Now, i understand why other posts question who you are and your motivations. I mean you've been trolling these forums for years and years and in my opinion you are quick to jump on other posts's suggestions and attack their experiences, which is your right, but I'm not sure how useful your posts are.

[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: