Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Negativity on this forum
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScarletDom93

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Negativity on this forum Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of negativity on this forum on different country topics that relate to 'terrible' employers. Are there any decent employers of ESL teachers? Shocked
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to get as qualified as possible if you really want to make a career of it. Language schools are okay for a year or two. Once you start working directly for universities or at international schools your chances of getting screwed over become a lot less...
ScarletDom93

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
My advice would be to get as qualified as possible if you really want to make a career of it. Language schools are okay for a year or two. Once you start working directly for universities or at international schools your chances of getting screwed over become a lot less...

I guess that's a fair point. I've just reached the end of my 5 years of continuous higher education (BSc, PGCE (PCET) and CELTA). It's so frustrating seeing so many bad reviews about places around the world. I understand it's probably part of the experience but from a newbie perspective I just want to find a reputable organisation for my first teaching position and it's extremely difficult Laughing
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, wherever you start out you will be at the bottom of the ladder. Then you make contacts and get opportunities for the better jobs. After two years I would expect to be well up the ladder.

If you are lucky and have the experience and quals then you could get in at an international school which you may have a shot at with your CV. You just need more experience.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScarletDom93 wrote:
I've seen a lot of negativity on this forum on different country topics that relate to 'terrible' employers.

Definitely assess whether a negative post is valid. For example, trivial issues are those complaints about situations like being paired with a roommate who suffers from chronic flatulence and smelly feet, or having to cover your tattoos, or paying too much for beer and cigarettes, or being insulted by what you consider a low offer for your unrelated BA and online TEFL cert, or having to pay extra to live in the primo flat with the private pool, etc. Compare that to negative posts about employers who routinely pay late or pay less than the contracted amount, who hold teachers' passports, who change the contract terms and conditions once the teacher lands in country, and so on.

Research the employer as well as ask the right questions during interviews. Also, keep your expectations low (realistic), be flexible, and try to maintain a sense of humor. However, don't suffer with a crappy employer and always have an exit plan and emergency funds.

Entry-level, newbie jobs usually entail some level of compromise. Figure out what your realistic priorities are versus those "wants" that are minor. Many teachers start out in funky or low-paying teaching situations but make the most of it with the knowledge that it's a temporary stepping stone to something better.
reblair79

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Negativity on this forum Reply with quote

ScarletDom93 wrote:
I've seen a lot of negativity on this forum on different country topics that relate to 'terrible' employers. Are there any decent employers of ESL teachers? Shocked

I've been on the forums here for a while lurking for information and making a few posts asking for information also.

My opinion is that peoples reviews on employers are very subjective. What one person would think could be a good life, another person would be not find acceptable.

I find that some people seem very unhappy with their career and are just very negative in general. Their comments need to be taken with a massive pinch of salt as they just seem angry and bitter and will find the negative in anything. Others seem very money orientated and don't seem to appreciate other things when giving their review.

It is still worth listening to all views though and throwing it all into the pot to help with your decisions.

As for above, I find Nomad Souls comments to always be balanced and pretty spot on.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty common for people who've had a negative experience to be more vocal about their problems, so it's natural to see a bias towards the negative.

Overall, I think that everyone's first year is usually somewhat stressful. Being new in a job and a location means that even smaller employer iggies can have a greater impact than the same things would when you're more experienced.

There are lots and lots of good/decent/acceptable employers. I'd go out on a limb and say that most employers who have been around for a while are probably decent overall. However, it does take quite a lot of careful research to minimize the chances that you'll experience problems. Doing the homework also doesn't guarantee a trouble-free job (in any field or country), but it certainly helps!

And don't go without a sufficient financial cushion to get yourself out if necessary. Hopefully you won't need to do so, but it can be a great fall-back if things unexpectedly go wrong.
reblair79

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

Overall, I think that everyone's first year is usually somewhat stressful. Being new in a job and a location means that even smaller employer iggies can have a greater impact than the same things would when you're more experienced.

My first year begins on August 19th. I'm going into things with a massive open mind. My ambitions are to be grateful for the good times, embrace new challenges and accept the stressful moments with a smile! Hopefully I still have the same attitude in a years time! Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The job market is changing. I was fortunate in that my arrival on the job market in the late 1960s was a period when there were lots of jobs in post-colonial Africa. Then I moved into the Middle East. Now I surmise that China is the place to go. A big market and I would say that it will be there for a few decades.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many posters will have had hugely positive experiences but will not have posted about it. People who have had negative experiences are probably much more inclined to post (rant).
So for the OP, here has been my experience working my first teaching job at a public school in SH, China:

I have a subject related degree and a TEFL and I've signed up for a 4th year.
I've always been paid on time.
Started out with a very low workload.
Received training.
Curriculum provided which I lesson plan from but have full autonomy.
Received a pay rise each year.
I'm not micro managed in any way.
Great work colleagues and understanding heads of school.
I have been reimbursed for hospital bills and received full payment for time off sick. (which was a pleasant surprise).

I would advise to find a decent recruiter that will have screened the school first. With your quals you will be able to get a very decent entry level position (in China anyway at least).

So, that's my bit of positivity especially for you as I'm happily looking forward to my 8.5 weeks of fully paid hols Smile
creeper1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
Generally, wherever you start out you will be at the bottom of the ladder. Then you make contacts and get opportunities for the better jobs. After two years I would expect to be well up the ladder.

What ladder?

Go from kindergarten at English first to working in some university in Inner Mongolia and that is career progression?

This is not a career. It provides a means to travel. That's it.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
currentaffairs wrote:

What ladder?

Go from kindergarten at English first to working in some university in Inner Mongolia and that is career progression?

On that note, many of us have left careers as climbing the 'ladder' and just didn't appeal anymore. eg. I worked in industry in middle and senior management positions for almost a decade before getting out.
So, I'm definitely not looking for another ladder. People get into teaching for many reasons.
Some posters on this forum (as reblair79 mentioned) live a very money driven existance, others think that their way is the only way. Take with a pinch of salt is right!
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
What ladder?

For some there is no career progression. For others there is. The industry is widely varied. While some teachers stagnate in the same role, there are others who improve their skills and experience and move on to better teaching positions.

Don't be put off by the general negativity you perceive online. Do your research carefully, decide what you want to do (and whats right for you), make a plan, adjust it as necessary and keep working hard. If I had bought into all the negative stuff online I never would have become as successful as I am now.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

My first year begins on August 19th. I'm going into things with a massive open mind. My ambitions are to be grateful for the good times, embrace new challenges and accept the stressful moments with a smile! Hopefully I still have the same attitude in a years time! Smile

...and good luck to you!
You seem to be going into it with the right mentality and you have put a lot of thought and work into preparing for your adventure. More power to you. I will be going into my 4th year and feel that my decion to move East to teach was one of the best decisions of my life thus far Smile
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:
creeper1 wrote:
currentaffairs wrote:

What ladder?

On that note, many of us have left careers as climbing the 'ladder' and just didn't appeal anymore. eg. I worked in industry in middle and senior management positions for almost a decade before getting out.
So, I'm definitely not looking for another ladder. People get into teaching for many reasons.
Some posters on this forum (as reblair79 mentioned) live a very money driven existance, others think that their way is the only way. Take with a pinch of salt is right!

I was thinking more about job conditions, time off and workload rather than just money. When you first go to a country you generally have to make do with what is on offer and perhaps work at night or for long hours. As time goes by you make connections, gain experience, and opportunities arise.

Now I get two months off in the summer, and will probably be on around 14 contact hours per week. No work at the weekend or at night. Quite a lot better than a few years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: