Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interview Conundrum Saudi Arabia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Interview Conundrum Saudi Arabia Reply with quote

Here's a conundrum (all facts anonymized).

A recuitment agency ('R') advertises for a company ('C') running a small network of colleges on Saudi Arabia. Face-to-face interviews advertised at UK locations.

An interviewee, on the understanding that interviews are only face-to-face travels from a third country. Arrives at R premises, with bunting, balloons and placards prominently displayed outside belong to C. Arrives 20 minutes early at R and is told, oh the interviewer from C is just finishing a Skype interview.

Interviewee thinks to herself, why on earth was I not given this option?

Anyway, the face-to-face interview starts and for the first 15 mins a Skype interview is being conducted by another interviewer (wearing headphones) sitting adjacent (ca. 2metres away) to the interviewer and interviewee - conducted rather loudly and intrusively.

Face-to-face interview ends, interviewer says C will inform her of the decision within 7-10 days. 28 days, no contact; applicant contacts R and one day later receives reply that interview was unsuccessful.

Applicant miffed:
1. No expeditious reply from an actual interview.
2. If two Skype interviews took place within the space of 45 mins, extrapolating out over a 5-day period of interviews, how many other Skype interviews must have taken place?
3. Why, when tne applicant's CV/address details etc. reached C, did they not offer a Skype interview?

Now...

what are the chances of the applicant having travel and accommodation expenses reimburesed from C after:

(i) (a) letter of complaint
(i) (b) after agreeing to ADR/mediation (discussed as part of the letter)
(ii) after pursuing a UK small claims court online case?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
Applicant miffed:
1. No expeditious reply from an actual interview.
2. If two Skype interviews took place within the space of 45 mins, extrapolating out over a 5-day period of interviews, how many other Skype interviews must have taken place?
3. Why, when tne applicant's CV/address details etc. reached C, did they not offer a Skype interview?

What are the chances of the applicant having travel and accommodation expenses reimburesed from C after:

- Since the job seeker does not live in the UK, did she proactively request in writing a Skype interview in order to avoid travel time and expenses? If not, then she has to eat those costs; the burden was on her to inform the company that she resides outside the UK. In other words, she essentially agreed to attend the in-person interview by being silent about her location and not asking about other interview options.

- Prior to her travel, was reimbursement for interview travel expenses explicitly stated in writing (by the company) as RT air, hotel, food, etc.? Generally, if in-person interviews are mandatory (i.e., no Skype interviews will be conducted), the prospective employer will be clear that travel and lodging expenses are the responsibility of the job seeker. The exception are key or critical positions that need to be filled by highly-sought after applicants.

Be proactive. Never assume anything or expect employers to be clairvoyant.
David S

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an applicant is informed no skype interviews will be conducted, but the R and C know fully that the applicant lives abroad and comes in good faith believing that she will be treated fairly on a level playing field and finds her interview

PREFACED by a Skype interview and
INTERRUPTED, or CONDUCTED IN PARALLEL with a Skype
interview,

she would certainly be well advised to raise it with the contractor company and see what their response is - no harm in trying that.

In terms of a small claims court claim, you never know - it's cheap to do it online, the company's legal team may not turn up (and you win by default) or the company may decide it's not worth the candle and settle.

In terms of legal advice, few on here are able to speak definitively - the facts are clear but the grey areas are whether she was informed about the no skype interviews by the recruiter or contractor. Evidently, if the interview was arranged by the R on behalf of the C, it would still be conducted by C and under their rules.

To address Nomad Soul's point, your address is on your CV and it would be clear where you are based.

From posts elsewhere by the applicant, I think I know who the company is. It's a big British company and I think if you write to the HR Director and copy the COE, things might go your way.

If not, write them a "letter before action" before you start the small claims route, send it to HR Director and COE again and see what happens.

There are a few grey areas (some highlighted by Nomad Soul), but it's 55/45, 60/40 you might make headway.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David S wrote:
To address Nomad Soul's point, your address is on your CV and it would be clear where you are based.

Not necessarily. You can be based in X country but temporarily living elsewhere. For example, if the interviews were conducted over the spring/summer break, it's not unreasonable for the employer to assume a job applicant is in the UK visiting family or touring the country. Plus, the ad was clear about the location of the interviews; it's not up to the recruiter to scour through umpteen CVs to see who might be outside the UK during that time in order to reach out to them to ask if they want a Skype interview and then wait for their response.

When the applicant saw the job ad, it was immediately obvious to her that traveling to the UK would be a costly inconvenience. Rather than be passive, she should have included an email to the recruiter (along with her attached CV) stating her interest in the position and that she presently lives in X country and would appreciate a Skype interview if selected. Moreover, she had a second chance to speak up and request a Skype interview when the recruiter informed her she'd been chosen for an interview in the UK. I suspect that's what those other applicants did --- the ones she overheard the company rep speaking to via Skype.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
David S wrote:

Not necessarily.

I agree. The address on my CV was always my parent's address in middle America because that was what I wanted on my contract. (so that is where my annual leave ticket went)

My current residential address would be mentioned in the cover letter.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a lucky escape ? imagine what it might be like working for these people !
hash

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:

Based on the information you presented, I would say you do not have an "actionable" case. I can't see that the interviewing company has broken any contractual or legal obligation to you. You are basing your complaint on "moral" grounds ("Why......did they not offer a Skype interview??") and it's going to get you nowhere. You'll be wasting your money.

Given the circumstances, (your distance from the interview venue), any prudent applicant should have contacted the interviewers and asked if a Skype interview was possible for you. (Such a query would've been totally reasonable given that Skype interviews are now so common) You didn't do that and thereby you forfeited any complaints you subsequently had about this specific issue. That is, contacting the interviewers about this issue is an action you should have taken. Any "prudent" applicant would have.

Even if you were to win such a case, I suggest you consider the consequences...... if you want to stay in the ESL field as a profession, that is.

Given the speed, pervasiveness and durability of communication these days, any information touching on your "professional reputation" can generate all kinds of unforeseen positive or negative outcomes for future job prospects. Even a hint that you may be a "litigious" person, for example, could easily close all kinds of possibilities to you. Do I really have to say anything more?

Chalk up this incident to experience and let it go at that.

David S

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the caveats given, it's worth raising this matter - you have little to lose.

I don't think you need worry about career prospects in the fantastic world of ESL being damaged - it's a kind of 'demi-world' compared with other professions anyway. (I'm also assuming you haven't got a string of vexatious cases behind you anyway).
mashkif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the other replies and meaning any disrespect, I think Saudi Barbaria might not be the right choice of venue to live and work for the O.P. anyway. There, many things are done "on the fly," there is little certainty and predictability, and there are even fewer legal protections or other forms of redress if (or, usually, when) things go wrong. That includes some very basic matters such as passport and visa processing, the allocation of classes, the payment of salaries, the hours to be worked, everything related to overtime, and so forth and so on.

I would seriously look at seeking employment elsewhere.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I know my rights. They can't do this to me !" Fine in some places. It will not get you far in the Middle East.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a point of information, both R and C are British companies, the C having a turnover of over billion pounds.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This info doesn't change the fact that the applicant twice chose not to inform the prospective employer that she would have to travel from abroad despite being fully aware interviews were held in the UK. She put herself in this position and owns the consequences. Lesson learned, move on.

I agree with mashkif -- KSA likely isn't a good fit given her expectations.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that the job was for a saudi company...the chances of getting your money reimbursed to you........zilch.
Count yourself lucky that they did not offer you the job. You are better off.
BTW.....all of the this sounds like rather unethical business practice by company C.....pretty standard for SOWDY. It's just how they do business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: