Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too old for Vietnam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
workingnomad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Too old for Vietnam? Reply with quote

I have seen a number of job advertisements in HCMC stating that you must be under 45. I am actually 45 but starting to think that I might be too old for teaching in Vietnam?

I have good credentials as a native speaker with a BA, a TEFL cert, one year's experience from Spain, clean police record and in good health.

I was considering Thailand but the pay is woeful, although they don't seem to have such an issue with age.

Same with Cambodia but ++ woeful salary.

Any thoughts on the age thing in Vietnam? Thanks.
TRH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There definitely is age discrimination in ESL hiring in Vietnam but at 45 you should be OK. Your experience in Spain will also work for you. I wouldn't worry. I was 64 when I came to VN and got passed over by quite a few schools. Fortunately I was hired at a school where the academic manager seemed to value older teachers. After I had been around for more than a year, I could see that what they offered to her was longevity. The 25-35 year old crowd would last about 6 months but the older teachers were still around. I ended up working for 3 years and would have continued on for 3 more but I wanted my wife to obtain US citizenship. Fortunately, I have a part time job at a Japanese institution that keeps my toes wet.

To me the two best teachers at my school were an American and an Aussie who had taken early retirement in their 50's. They excelled at public school work while others just couldn't handle it. I certainly am not planning a second career, but if I had a management interest in a school in Vietnam, I would be posting adds in the teacher's publications looking for early retirees or even teachers who are interested in a place for an interesting sabbatical.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it. Some schools may actually enforce this policy, but IMO demand in Vietnam still outweighs supply and when schools really need teachers they can't afford to be picky.

The thing is that the vast majority of classes are kids (aged 3 - 12) so most schools would like to have younger people who are a bit more energetic and enthusiastic.

So, most likely you're going to be able to find some teaching work in VN. If you think young, look young, act young, have a positive attitude and a pleasant personality, you will find more (and better) work regardless of your age.
workingnomad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I am often told that I look younger than I am and I certainly don't act my age! Perhaps it won't be an issue.

I have original copies of my degree and police certificate but would I need to have these certified? I want to be based in HCMC so hopefully the British consulate might help, for dollars of course.
s_cooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demand is till high enough for older teachers in VN
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Too old for Vietnam? Reply with quote

workingnomad wrote:
I have seen a number of job advertisements in HCMC stating that you must be under 45. I am actually 45 but starting to think that I might be too old for teaching in Vietnam?

I have good credentials as a native speaker with a BA, a TEFL cert, one year's experience from Spain, clean police record and in good health.

I was considering Thailand but the pay is woeful, although they don't seem to have such an issue with age.

Same with Cambodia but ++ woeful salary.

Any thoughts on the age thing in Vietnam? Thanks.

Some schools want "teachers" in their 20's and 30's. Some places won't even hire past 40. But you should be OK. Once you hit 50 it gets harder to get work but if you have spent five years in VN teaching then by that point you should not have a problem finding work. But most foreigners never last five years here anyways.
workingnomad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seeing a lot of job adverts now that are stating 45 as the maximum age. Anyone else seeing this or are my eyes just fixated on the number 45?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see here in Hanoi there are a lot of "western retirees" teaching English...many are in their 70's and even a few in their 80's...what is happening in their countries....can't they afford to retire?? Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: