Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QEHC is now called QEC?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buscando ando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: QEHC is now called QEC? Reply with quote

Based on recent correspondence between management and employees, it seems that QEHC is now called QEC. Not sure if they will be using their new name to attract the new badge of victims, I mean, teachers.

Everything I've read in this forum is pretty accurate. Las year I decided to take the risk and sign with them despite the horrible reviews and here I am. I've encountered almost every single hurdle people mentioned, from denied exit visa -which was of course promised, to delayed salary. Not surprised if we don't get what we're supposed to get, e.g., final settlement, last 2 months of employment, return flight fare.

Try it under your own risk.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the reviews, why did you take the job? It doesn't make any sense for EFL'ers to join that tire fire. Did you think it would be any different? I am not judging you but am wondering what makes people decide to work for them after repeated warnings on these threads. On top of that the salary is terrible.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some job seekers who will still sign on despite the bad press. They're likely thinking:
    "That's in the past; those issues with that employer/sponsor no longer occur."
    "That happens to other people. It won't be my experience."
    "The company rep was really nice during the interview and when I had questions, so those bad reviews are just sour grapes."
    "Given what they're offering, they can mistreat me all they want.
    "I'm desperate for any work and will take my chances and hope for the best."
buscando ando

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a native speaker. I was tired of being turned down by companies despite my qualifications. In addition, it was my first experience abroad, so I knew I had to compromise. I never thought it was going to be different for me. I decided to take the risk and now I'm sharing my experience. That's all.
Mikalina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience.

TEFLers will still go to places with bad reputations for the reasons VS gave; there is nothing like practical experience to belie the wonderfully optimistic opinion that "surely it can't be that bad" as it teaches you that: "yes, it CAN be that bad!".
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't VS, but NS...

Though I totally agree. Very Happy

VS
1chunk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathize with your situation. Hindsight is a great thing... I can understand why you took the position. The main thing is you are relatively safe now and always think 'it could have been worse.'

There are literally thousands of people from the the Indian subcontinent, far eastern asia and Africa, who are made to go through hell in Saudi Arabia. So count yourself lucky.

QEC are now going to South Africa to try and attract more victims.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buscando ando wrote:
I'm not a native speaker. I was tired of being turned down by companies despite my qualifications. In addition, it was my first experience abroad, so I knew I had to compromise. I never thought it was going to be different for me. I decided to take the risk and now I'm sharing my experience. That's all.

What nationality are you? You thought it was going to be different after reading these forums? You could have picked a better first experience. I just can't wrap my head around people taking crummy jobs like these despite every warning on multiple threads. I hope you get your two months salary and exit visa. Buyer Beware: 9000 SAR a month with QEHC with the odds are that you won't get your last two months salary.

I hope you find a better second job but be aware that garbage companies like these don't change.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buscando ando wrote:
I'm not a native speaker. I was tired of being turned down by companies despite my qualifications. In addition, it was my first experience abroad, so I knew I had to compromise. I never thought it was going to be different for me. I decided to take the risk.

It's not easy for non-native English speakers to find teaching work in KSA because visas are nationality specific.

Why not post over on the general discussion forum for advice on where in the world you might be able to teach (without the hassles) based on your nationality and qualifications?
buscando ando

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not a native speaker, I am fortunate enough to hold an American passport and have attended grad school in the US. In part, I decided to take the risk with QEHC because I want to finish paying off my student loan asap. As bad as it was, their offer was better than other ones I got. It is true that my first experience could have been worse, much worse. I am grateful for having an education and the luxury to --even with some constrains-- choose where I want to work.
Other people, like 1chunk mentions, are pretty much slaves, e.g., cleaners, construction workers and maids. Some of them with horrible stories even before leaving their countries of origin, so it is not my intend to play the victim. Despite everything, I am very privileged. Like I said, I just wanted share my experience.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And because of your ignorance or that you sold yourself short, you are out of two months of salary plus a plane ticket. You were paid 8-9 000 SAR a month but basically taught for free your last two months. You probably had to dip into your savings for the previous ten months to buy a plane ticket or use as income while not being paid. You might have barely broke even.

I know you are just telling us your story but unfortunately I have no sympathy for your blight. Multiple Threads WARNED teachers (native and non native) about this cowboy company and you took the job because you were tired of not being hired due to not being a native speaker AND thought it wouldn't happen to you. You should have given your head a shake.

For some reason QEHC has my email address and messaged me last week about working for them. I asked them why they didn't pay their teachers their last two months wages and gave them their plane tickets AND why their salary was garbage. I got no reply.

I hope the 9000 SAR a month and getting screwed out of two months of salary was worth it to put on your CV.
Sheik Yerbuti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a little much Dave. Did the Prince appoint you keeper of the gate?
hash

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foo_Fighters_Dave wrote:
I just can't wrap my head around people taking crummy jobs like these despite every warning on multiple threads.
Oh I have no such problem wrapping my head around this issue, as I see the results all around me all day long.

It's called the martyr syndrome or in our context here, the victim syndrome. In fact, the lower the salary, the better.

This is a condition which causes a certain, what the French call a "frisson", a certain thrill at putting yourself in jeopardy (I'M GOING TO WORK AT XYZ!!!) and broadcasting it to the world, thus getting accolades showered upon you and getting branded an ESL "hero"....Symbolic pats on the back as you board Saudia at JFK non–stop to Riyadh.

It's as simple as that. One's 15 minutes of fame...It's the realization and a capitulation to the fact that your name will never be in LIGHTS........not where it counts anyway.....not anymore...........but at least it'll be in print in some obscure point in Arabia Felix. To many, this really means a lot.
waltgomez

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: QEC/QEHC paid me Reply with quote

After the 3 month hiatus, I was finally able to get the final settlement from QEC/QEHC by going there in person to get my check.

I got a new job in Riyadh with another company and I actually went to visit QEC/QEHC in their office.

They can be found on Google maps.

Type in 'Quality Education Holding Company Riyadh' in Google maps.

They are located in an area called Yermuk in a commercial strip like place two passages down from SMSA ( Saudi Fedex). If you cannot find them ask the employee at SMSA. SMSA is easy to find because it has a FeDex like logo. It is two passages up from them.

Tell any taxi driver to take you to Yermuk corner of Hassan Bin Hussein Ali Road and Imam Saud Road.

You go inside the passage, the first door on the right, go up the stairs and turn right. You will see their logo.

I rang the bell, and they were surprised to see me. They said the finance officer was not in. They initially hesitated to let me in and kept me at the door. It was very hot, and I asked them to invite me in.

They again said the finance officer was responsible and he was not in.

I sat there and began scolding them for doing this to me.

Eventually, they invited me into another office and began rummaging for the check. They finally found it.

One of them said " I'm sorry".

I took the check to Al Rajhi which is around the corner from there on Imam Saud Road,

They said that if I cannot cash it, they would come with me. But I cashed it. Rather, I deposited it into my Al Rahji account which I initially had with Al Rajhi.

Anyway, sometimes you just need to do things like that to get what you deserve.

They asked me why I went to work with another company and did not stay with them. I said that it was because they did not pay me my final settlement. They also delayed my last salary by more than one month.

I asked them how they would feel if someone did not pay them.

They smiled.

That's all, folks.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt Gomez: Did they purposely keep every teacher's check and withheld it from them? That is messed up.

They also had the gall to ask you why you decided to find work elsewhere? Are they really that dense?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: