Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 things you’ll miss about the ME post-repatriation

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: 10 things you’ll miss about the ME post-repatriation Reply with quote

Ahh... For those headin' out (for good):

Top 10 things you’ll miss about the Middle East after repatriating
By Suzanne Berg, Teach Middle East | June 23, 2017
Source: http://teachmiddleeastmag.com/top-10-things-youll-miss-about-the-middle-east-after-repatriating/

Don’t worry. Life goes on even after you leave the excitement and opulence of the Middle East. Whether you migrate to a new country or repatriate, there’s no doubt that the thrill of a move in itself offers at least some degree of initial excitement. Sooner or later, though, the absence of certain aspects of life that are more prevalent in the Middle East than elsewhere will tug at you for awhile, some being.
    Call to prayer – An integral part of daily life, the call to prayer is both peaceful and mesmerizing. What non-Muslim doesn’t come to love the soothing sounds of the adhan, heard over the loudspeaker fives times each day?

Running into friends – Although the expat population comprises a large percentage of the residents, major Middle Eastern cities still offer a smaller feel. Running into at least a friend or two every time you hit the town is the norm, and it adds to the fun of the whole experience.

Obtaining tickets for recreational activities – With access to Formula 1 races, pro golf tournaments, and concerts that don’t sell out within twenty minutes of ticket releases, attending events that are saved for special occasions back home are commonplace in the Middle East. It also doesn’t take several hours to exit the venue or car park, so I double-guarantee that you’ll miss these perks.

Shawarma – One of the most readily available snack foods, shawarma is the Taco Bell of the Middle East. What will you miss about this delicious, inexpensive treat? Everything, especially the garlic sauce.

Inshallah – Whatever will be, will be; no need to stress about it. If it is God’s will, then it will happen. The Western world certainly does NOT live and work by this motto.

Punctuality – When you first started working in the Middle East, odds are you made a concerted effort to show up on time for all scheduled meetings and appointments. Then you realized the joke was on you because showing up within an hour or two of the scheduled appointment time only left you endlessly waiting around for everyone else. Admittedly, the lack of punctuality is maddening more than it is endearing, but you will miss it when you find yourself in a society that never seems to stop and take a deep breath.

Understanding the unwritten rules of driving – Gone are your days of feeling like you’re part of a secret driving society. Stop at a stop sign? Nah, I don’t think so. Obey the speed limit… but I can go 20km over without a ticket! And definitely stay out of the left lane unless you’re ready to play with the big boys. Now everyone plays the same game. It’s probably a bit safer, but still… It's not as much fun.

Full-service fuel stations – I mean, when was the last time someone filled up your car for you in another country? In the US, I think this perk went by the wayside in the 1970’s. Darn.

Weather – Ok, I agree that it can get hotter than hot in the summer, but I’d be willing to put up with it in order to scrap umbrellas and ice scrapers for life.

Desert Safaris – All kinds of fun rolled up in one, desert safaris are a one-stop shop for local entertainment. From dune bashing to sand boarding to camel rides, safaris showcase the best of Arabian desert transportation methods, and none are for the weak. Then there’s traditional food and dance, followed by music and shisha under an impressive display of stars.

(End of article)
bograt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few negative things there dressed up as positives. People are always late, drive badly and have a lazy attitude to problem solving. He was obviously struggling to come up with ten
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The writer is an American woman who taught k-12 in the UAE -- the same person who wrote about her experience with reverse culture shock (see the thread, Dealing with reverse culture shock).

I'm aware you've never lived in the Middle East/Gulf, but most of what she mentioned was a positive for her. The few things she obviously doesn't miss weren't an issue for me. But then, we all come from diverse backgrounds and experiences.

I now have a craving for shawarma... good shawarma.
bograt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm aware you've never lived in the Middle East/Gulf, but most of what she mentioned was a positive for her

Lived in Eastern Turkey for a year, if that counts. Personally I never found the call to prayer peaceful or mesmerizing but different strokes for different folks. My point was that if you can't think of a top ten that wouldn't seem positive to most people, you're struggling. Would most people find a lack of punctuality a positive? She actually admits it's maddening.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'll miss the money and the beach.
Not one of jobs.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bograt wrote:
Lived in Eastern Turkey for a year, if that counts. Personally I never found the call to prayer peaceful or mesmerizing but different strokes for different folks. My point was that if you can't think of a top ten that wouldn't seem positive to most people, you're struggling. Would most people find a lack of punctuality a positive? She actually admits it's maddening.

Not really... Turkey is nothing like the Gulf. My only quibble is the use of the term "Middle East" when her article is directed towards expats from the Gulf.

And the woman IS giving a list that most Western Gulf expats will agree with. The only person struggling was apparently you. Personally I have been back to the US for 17 years and I still miss the call to prayer. It nicely informed me of the passing of the day. I was careful to always live where the speakers weren't too close to my windows.

She missed one of the big ones that many expats miss and that is the service economy... not just the full service filling of your car. Many will miss the availability of maids and the delivery of almost anything... day or night. I never had cleaners in my home, but I do miss having the harass wash my car 6 mornings a week for $30 a month.

VS
bograt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And the woman IS giving a list that most Western Gulf expats will agree with. The only person struggling was apparently you.

And Dragonpiwo, who only managed to come up with two.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bograt wrote:
Quote:
I'm aware you've never lived in the Middle East/Gulf, but most of what she mentioned was a positive for her

Yes, note that it's ten things you'll miss.

If in that small number you have to include the call to prayer, driving and the weather then, boy, you're struggling. Laughing

Still, vs is still posting here like an expert after decades away, so I guess it takes all sorts.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bograt wrote:
And Dragonpiwo, who only managed to come up with two.

Yeah... and? Seriously, it's obvious I didn't intend this thread to be an assignment or competition about how many things folks can come up with -- what they miss about the ME/GCC after repatriation. The author, a former UAE expat, provided her list of things those of us who lived in the region are very familiar with along with her own perspective.

veiledsentiments wrote:
She missed one of the big ones that many expats miss and that is the service economy... not just the full service filling of your car. Many will miss the availability of maids and the delivery of almost anything... day or night.

Ditto that. When I arrived to my housing in KSA, my place hadn't yet been prepped. But hey, I'm a military brat and can handle some grime and a few roaches. In the morning, I awoke to two smiling cleaning ladies at my door. They went through my apartment like two little tornados and were so pleasant the entire time. It was always easy to get that type of help, if needed. And sometimes, they wouldn't take money from me.

Plus, I've rarely experienced that level of service since returning to the US. I had good service in KSA and when I visited Oman. But the UAE came in as the best in terms of polished, polite but friendly service. On a side note, years ago, I met up with a friend from Syria who was visiting her family in California. We were at a TGIFs, and she found it odd that the waiter's pants were sagging and commented that he must have lost weight and should get a new pair that fit him. Laughing
desertdawg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That service comes at a high human cost.

Individuals exploited and paid extremely low salaries. Trapped by circumstances into staying.

Many of those smiling faces are doing "sideline" work to make their income anywhere near enough.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Merit wrote:
Still, vs is still posting here like an expert

Your words... not mine... Cool

Quote:
That service comes at a high human cost.

Individuals exploited and paid extremely low salaries. Trapped by circumstances into staying.

Many of those smiling faces are doing "sideline" work to make their income anywhere near enough.

True in much of the world, I'd say.

And the majority of service jobs we are referring to the Gulf are highly prized by the people who have them as it is usually better than back home. At least most of them are working inside... in air conditioning.

The ones with the worst of these jobs we seldom encountered or merely saw in the distance working outside in construction.

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: