Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guangdong Peizheng College - my visit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Guangdong Peizheng College - my visit Reply with quote

Deleted post.

Last edited by MsHoffman on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Guangdong Peizheng College - my visit Reply with quote

MsHoffman wrote:
Actually, no non-residents are allowed past the gate. You have to register with the local police, which is apparently a 3-5 hour process. So if you like having friends over to your house who aren't also fellow teachers, this could be a difficult situation for you.

I think they lied to you.

Thanks for your report. But, it seems more like that they did not want you to see the apartments for some reason.

Maybe someone who works there could clarify.
The bear

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Guangdong Peizheng College - my visit Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:
MsHoffman wrote:
Actually, no non-residents are allowed past the gate. You have to register with the local police, which is apparently a 3-5 hour process. So if you like having friends over to your house who aren't also fellow teachers, this could be a difficult situation for you.

I think they lied to you.

Thanks for your report. But, it seems more like that they did not want you to see the apartments for some reason.

Maybe someone who works there could clarify.

Wow, this brought back an old post haha.

Regardless, yes, it does seem really strange they wouldn't allow a potential teacher to look at teacher accommodation. I've known of gated communities not letting people aimlessly wander in from the street, but if they're accompanied by a resident or buzz through to one they always get in. It honestly sounds cultish the way they put it.

I interviewed with this college 2 years ago, there are horrific reviews online of this place, or there were when I looked. If they're deserved or not I don't know, but it certainly put me off. I mentioned it during the interview and the college was well aware of them and tried to assure me it wasn't like that. But...they would say that. Tried to paint the writer as a bit of an odd one.
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted post.

Last edited by MsHoffman on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
The bear

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsHoffman wrote:

As for the apartment complex thing, it's why I'm probably not accepting the offer. I wasn't offended or anything, and no, they were not lying. They were incredibly nice and helpful.

I just learned more about their housing policies that day and I'm not sure they work for me personally. *These policies are in the contract*, but it was a bit general so I didn't catch the severity of the "lockdown" the first time I read it. Here's the relevant section:

"The residence can be used only by Party B and the persons who get consent by the IECO. Party B must notify the IECO of the visitor 3 working days in advance. The visitor’s stay may be approved or rejected by the IECO."

IECO: Police station where you register

As you can see, "can be used" means a lot of things. More specificity might have been better here, as I assumed the policy was intended to be more strict about long-term guests who would actually "use" something, but I understand. I don't think I could write a beautifully specific legal contract in my second language either. But of course now the meaning is clear.

That said, the Academic Director did send me to the apartment garden gate with two residents of the complex, hoping they could "sign me in" and the guard would let me through with the other teachers for just five minutes or so, but nope, no way. So she did try Smile

When I returned to the Academic Director's office, she said that she had just got off the phone with the FAO (on a holiday!) to try to help me out but there's nothing anyone can do. I said thanks for their (many) efforts and let it go. No biggie.

I do think this housing policy is a deal breaker for me. I just have too many friends coming over to watch movies, cook dinner, etc. I don't have the time or aggravation to deal with that kind of system.

ALTHOUGH this campus is so remote I suppose most people who come visit have to stay overnight, so this policy in some ways makes sense.

MsHoffman

Absolute deal breaker for me. It's effectively making you have no private life away from the school.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to bump this thread, and ask Ms. Hoffman if she ended up taking the job at Peizheng College?

I have an interterview with them this afternoon.

--GA
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but the two biggest negatives are the remoteness and the strict rules about guests in the apartment.

I have these two issues to deal with, but if I want to have a guest over I WILL HAVE A GUEST OVER.

I'm a 39 year old male - NOBODY tells me what I can do in my life away from school.

I've also noticed in the teachers' dorms, where I'm staying for the summer camp that Chinese teachers have their husbands/wives/kids/friends/sisters visiting, so I will do as the Chinese do.

Simple really.
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatApe,

Welcome back!

twowheel
GreatApe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ twowheel

Thanks, man! It's been awhile! I lost my login password and had trouble with my email, so I had to go back to "Lurker" mode. Laughing

Then unexpectedly, one fine day, I ran across a file on my phone with my ESL Cafe password in it. Makes logging in much easier!

Good to be back among the fine ESL teachers here at Daves and all you ladies and gentlemen grinding out a Life in the Middle Kingdom.

KEEP GOING! Very Happy

--GA
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Although I liked the college very much, I just have too many friends in this province who would want to visit, and so the restrictive guest policy (enforced 24/7 by a security guard and a very tall fence around the property), made this a deal breaker for me.

If you are in Guangdong province, I strongly urge you to physically go to this school before signing the contract. It is really really really far from everything. On the 90 minute bus ride from the train station, the bus driver had to stop for gas.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the location rental prices must be dirt cheap. I left the flat at my past school empty for about 4 years because they would not respect me and renting a place was relatively cheap. Going in it was fine, but it developed into an issue. If it is a problem going into in the beginning maybe discuss off campus accommodation. If they refuse, mention a bit higher pay to cover the cost. I never want to live next to the student areas again. Remember one Halloween we had a party and the student enforcers came knocking (they were shown the door and a big boo).
rioux

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They constantly seem to be advertising.
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/index.cgi?read=48360

Expanding their program or high turnover rate?

For 22 hours a week the pay is low especially when you consider the other obstacles involved.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently interviewed with Peizheng and ws greatly impressed by their Academic Coordinator. Great guy! The job seems good, although the location is remote.

Unlike, Ms. Hoffman, however, I have not visited the school. As far as guests are concerned, that doesn't really affect me. I'm married and the school offered to give me a larger accomodation for my wife and I.

Alas, I have another school who is willing to go the hard yard to set me up with a new visa without me having to return to the states. If they can do that for me on Monday, then I will be working for them and forego the PZ offer.

--GA
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien registration of accommodation takes next to no time if they know what they are doing. I did it in my wife's hometown last week, first time they have done it, and it took an hour. That is me, wife, and sister inlaw in their office. After I used that registration to change to a spousal RP I needed to re-register. Not in town, so sister inlaw had to go, 10 minutes boom, done, over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: