Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You're offering what?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
learningpaths

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: You're offering what?! Reply with quote

I'd like to stir it up just a little.

I think we teachers, without unionized representation, should start singing the same song across the board. This particular song is about what we expect in return for our services.

What makes it worth relocating to the other side of the planet to teach your kids and managers the international language of business (money)?

Is it an exotic cultural experience? Nope. That wears off and we can't eat it.

Is it a good salary in their economy? Nope. We will have to leave their economy sooner (most likely) or later. I need more than just above breaking even for the hours of my life. (This isn't a beer money gig for me...)

Is it for the perk of reimbursement? Nope. We all know there are as many, if not more, employers manning an 11th hour guillotine, making reimbursement little more than carrots and smoke signals.

Teachers, when communicating with agents, recruiters, and schools, tell them prepaid flights are expected and necessary. They are recruiting you for their business. McDonalds in the home town pays the same as some of these jobs. There's no reason to leave home. (Never trust an MBA, the anxious and crafty ladder climbers, a recruiter, or an Arab for that matter... the Irish are dicey too.)

When they refuse, as the cheap *beep* inevitably will, then insist on reimbursement upon arrival.

Don't fall for the inflated salary and skimpy housing allowance. It's works out the same, but why lie about it? (Why am I looking for a private lease in a country where I can't even read it and paying for anything in large sums up front?)

Time has proven there are an abundance of ESL papermills out there that don't care about anyone but themselves, so let's start singing the same tune, and up the ante. (In 2003, I considered Japan for 250,000 yen. Today, I can't believe my eyes. It's still 250,000 yen! PS: There is no pension.)

---
I forgot to mention, almost all teachers are built on the Service to Others model, while almost all business owners are built on the Service to Self model. It's a vampiric relationship. Not many business owners loose any sleep at all when they turn a potential student because they're poor. So, make them pay, because someone has to.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think we teachers, without unionized representation, should start singing the same song across the board. This particular song is about what we expect in return for our services.

We have run a few rounds on this carousel in years past. It's not going anywhere, because there are no global standards for reimbursement of teachers. There are far too many variables in the global market. It's an exercise in futility to discuss this in any wide sense.
Mikalina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a bit of 'unionising' once over change to a contract we had already signed. There were four of us 'ringleaders'. We were called to a meeting with the powerful owner. I didn't go because I knew what would happen. One teacher was given the opportunity to continue claiming for overtime hours he didn't work; another was given the meal out with the boss that he wanted; and the other, can't remember what he received but you get the idea. Problem went away and we all worked to the new contract.

Another time I tried to persuade all teachers to take a small pay cut so that this could be given to a colleague who had been unfairly demoted (in title and pay, not work) - equalling out his salary. Must have been how the invisible man felt.

Not sure you can unionise TEFLers - bless 'em.
ScarletDom93

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You look at places like Thailand offering 30kB per month.
Wages haven't risen there because it is saturated with back packers teaching without any qualifications. But it's starting to become the norm across the board (many countries though now ask for degree and TEFL cert for visa reqs)
Perhaps it is down to us teachers to bargain with the recruiters/schools instead of accepting certain things on face value. That being said, there are still people who will jump at the chance for 1 or 2 years.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-paid flights expected haha...so that deadbeats, escapists or backpackers can get a free ride to their destination, get real will you OP Wink
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

learningpaths wrote:

Teachers, when communicating with agents, recruiters, and schools, tell them prepaid flights are expected and necessary. They are recruiting you for their business. McDonalds in the home town pays the same as some of these jobs. There's no reason to leave home. (Never trust an MBA, the anxious and crafty ladder climbers, a recruiter, or an Arab for that matter... the Irish are dicey too.)

When they refuse, as the cheap *beep* inevitably will, then insist on reimbursement upon arrival.

Don't fall for the inflated salary and skimpy housing allowance. It's works out the same, but why lie about it? (Why am I looking for a private lease in a country where I can't even read it and paying for anything in large sums up front?)

Time has proven there are an abundance of ESL papermills out there that don't care about anyone but themselves, so let's start singing the same tune, and up the ante. (In 2003, I considered Japan for 250,000 yen. Today, I can't believe my eyes. It's still 250,000 yen! PS: There is no pension.)

Smells of... entitlement. Razz Seriously, guest workers in our home countries don't get the type and level of perks you're ranting about.

The businesses you mention are for-profit enterprises. Their interest is in making money for the company, which they do by keeping expenses down. If you want to get the best bang for your qualifications, don't apply to jobs with a for-profit entity. Problem solved. Additionally, a BA today is equivalent to a high school diploma, so bump your BA in Literature to an MA TESOL or pursue a k12 teaching qualification. (Better yet, get a PhD in one of the STEM fields and you'll have the red carpet rolled out for you!) But generally, those with strong/higher qualifications have a pool of the better direct-hire jobs to apply to.

BTW, salaries have either been stagnant or declining. Don't expect this trend to change.
learningpaths

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="spiral78"]
Quote:
It's an exercise in futility to discuss this in any wide sense.

For the most part, I agree. Still, we as a community need to raise our expectations. Instead of approaching the job market with "What are they willing to give me?" we should take more of an independent contractor stance and ask, "What will be my net return on this transaction, and how are those returns protected from fraud?"

We should always negotiate upward, even if the offer is satisfactory at first glance.

The other issue is thoroughness. I often run into recruiters who are unwilling to answer all questions about a position. That's because they're in Human Resources. People are simply commodities to sell for HR. They are essentially import/export brokers. (It's sometimes said that too many questions are a sign of a troublemaker. The flip-side of the coin is "Why are my questions an annoyance?" The days of serfdom are long gone...)

Perhaps it should be standard practice for teachers to get a contact's telephone number at the organization, and not just an email address that can be answered by anyone. (Why are so many emails on public domains, disposable, and not legally binding to a registered business entity?) The recruiter will still get their commission when you sign... unless there is a reason you won't sign after placing the call.

It's similar to employers and recruiters asking for the information page of a passport right out the gate. I would never normally disclose that information, but in this industry it's viewed with immediate distrust to not furnish it. With approximately 20% of TEFL teachers hit by identity theft in China alone, this employer-centricism is inappropriate. (Tell them where you're from, and politely inform them you'll furnish sensitive information after a contract has been negotiated. If they fall away, they fall away.)

Perhaps a manual of general and country best-practices should be developed. If there is no one to represent us, then we should represent ourselves.

I open this up to constructive debate. If you see a pitfall, what are some possible and practical solutions?

(We have to get smarter together!)
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(We have to get smarter together!)

I, for one, have achieved very satisfactory results over the years with my own job search skills and disagree with both of your suggestions above.

You are trying to herd cats. There are no one-size-fits-all solutions when you are discussing a GLOBAL job market.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, no thanks.

I'm in a union right now. It's great!

I've been in a union in the past. The top performers and the numpties all had the same protected job status and wages, regardless of ability, effectiveness, and overall intelligence. Sometimes, it was wonderful. Level-headed, professional teachers with nothing but passion for students. Other times, it was horrible. One wonders how they managed to make it so far in life without getting hit by a bus.

I'm all for standards, but that goes both ways. For all the scummy recruiters, I'm sure there are many more who feel that they deserve the red carpet treatment for no reason other than a degree in teapot making and native English-speaking ability. Sorry, but I have no interest in being lumped in with that lot. Standards here are much higher than the vast majority of places that hire TEFLers, and I don't have any interest in taking part.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 1960s there were lots of jobs offering perks like free flights etc. Very few now in comparison with the Golden Age !
ScarletDom93

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question then.

Is it possible to negotiate with schools in regards to salary, accommodation allowance etc?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some schools in some places, given that you have certain characteristics and qualifications, yes. Others, no. There ARE NO blanket answers in this field!!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScarletDom93 wrote:
Is it possible to negotiate with schools in regards to salary, accommodation allowance etc?

As spiral mentioned, there's no one-size-fits-all global rule. But in general, it depends on 1) whether the employer is even open to negotiation; and 2) what you have to offer (in terms of special knowledge/skills/abilities) in exchange for higher pay/better bennies.

Rather than counting on a prospective employer being the negotiating type, a better tactic would be to apply to jobs that offer what you're looking for (within reason).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: