Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steps for Authenticating a Document for the Visa Process
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdickun83

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Steps for Authenticating a Document for the Visa Process Reply with quote

Hi. This might already be on here somewhere and is somewhere on the Chinese Embassy's terrible, java-looking website, but I have had some real issues with this and, according to the embassy people, others have too. So, here are the steps for the US, as I know them, just for reference:

1. Get your document notarized.
2. Get your document certified, not apositlled, by the your home state. It is important that you make this distinction. China is not part of the Hague convention and Apostilles mean nothing.
3. Get your document certified by the US State Dept in Washington DC. You can do this by mail or in person, but if you are doing it in person you need an appointment and it is usually booked up at least a week in advance.
4. Get your authentication from the embassy.

Hopefully this helps someone.
natsume

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this in California. I think your 2 and 3 are either/or. You shouldn't have to do both.
mdickun83

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. This is why it would be helpful if they answered the phone. I was at the embassy today and they sent me home because I had to do both and I only had one done.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdickun83 wrote:
Haha. This is why it would be helpful if they answered the phone. I was at the embassy today and they sent me home because I had to do both and I only had one done.

It depends upon the state. Residents of some states are required to pass through only the state's Department of state while residents of other states must pass their documents through the local state department as well as the Federal Department of State. The information is out there.
mdickun83

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says on the document I have
"Step 3 the document is to be authenticated by the Authentication office of the Dept of State."

"Step 4- The document is to be authenticated by the CHinese embassy (For the document to be authenticated by the Chinese Consulate General, the step 3 is not necessary. If you go through Step 3, you will have to submit such a document to the Chinese Embassy in DC for authentication.)

This seems unclear to me. Perhaps someone can help. If I go to a consulate general, I can get it authenticated without the state dept? But if I go to the embassy in DC I need the state dept authentication? Am I understanding this correctly?
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would make sense that you need federal level clearance on docs going through DC. I can attest that NY does not require it (never been anywhere near there but my documents made it through). I believe it is because NY will authenticate documents from other states, but some states will not do this (like California, they take a loophole on the whole recognizing legal documents from other states).
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I go to a consulate general, I can get it authenticated without the state dept?

What does the Consulate of your jurisdiction tell you to do? Follow those instructions.

It would make sense that you need federal level clearance on docs going through DC. I can attest that NY does not require it (never been anywhere near there but my documents made it through).

Applicants from some states are required to to pass their paperwork through the local state department as well as the federal Department of State. Others are required only to pass it through the Federal Department of State. I am not aware that one may bypass the Federal Department of State, though I would not be surprised.

The following may clear this up:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/ywzn/lsyw/vpna/t907716.htm

No matter what is required, the applicant should get going FAST. Time is running out.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is my document never hit the federal level, only NY state level. My document is also from California, and no registrar or anything from California touched it.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on whether the affairs of your state are under the jurisdiction of the main Chinese embassy in Washington, D.C., or one of the regional Chinese consulates:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zmzlglj/t84229.htm

Most states are covered by one of the consulates - For example, as a resident of Pennsylvania, I was able to get my degree authenticated on the state level and then directly authenticated by the consulate in New York City, which deals with all of the Northeast region as well as Ohio. There was no need for any federal authentification.

If, however, your state doesn't have a consulate, you must have a state and a federal authentication. This applies to all those green states in the map - the ones in the Tidewater/ Upper South region that are close enough to Washington, D.C., and also the less-populated states of the Upper Midwest that don't have a local consulate. They're all under the direct responsibility of the main Chinese embassy in Washington, D.C.
rocket man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My graduate degree was in from a school in Texas so I didn't have to send it to the US Dept of State as per the Houston Consulate just got it notarized, took it to the Texas Sec of State office in Austin where I lived at the time, got their seal on it, then took it to an agent in Austin who sent it off to the consulate in Houston, cost me $100 for that service but it saved 2 trips to Houston the gas spent and the wear and tear on the car plus having to take off 2 days from work worth it
tin man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: authenticate Reply with quote

My school needed the degree and police check authenticated. I am also in TX and believe that this could be done at the state level. They recommended an agent and took responsibility for the expense in getting it done directly with said agency. This is getting done with a scan copy of my degree but they needed a hard copy of the police check.

I have no idea how long this is going to take but my guess I should have the visa by the end of Aug. I am keeping my options open in the US in case of some glitch.
Edward-SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was actually relatively easy for me - surprisingly so because I'm a US citizen living in the Republic of Georgia and intending to travel to teach in a Chinese University. I just certified my degree at the US Embassy in Georgia (affidavit wouldn't work, had to ask for certification of copy) and took it into to foreign ministry to authenticate it. Then to the Chinese embassy here.
tin man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: degree Reply with quote

I just got the authenticated degree and police check back from the agency so if anyone needs an agent referral for the Houston embassy, please feel free to pm me. From what I can tell, they did a good job.
tin man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: agency Reply with quote

I guess it can hurt to post the agency:

Easy China Visa
7001 Corporate Drive, Suite 308
Houston,TX 77036
1-866-641-4298
www.ichinavisa.com
travelbug66

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am beyond disgusted with the red tape now involved in applying and getting a Chinese work visa. I thought it was bad enough with the medical check and getting your criminal check and degree apostilled, but I now heard after that you had to then go to the Chinese embassy get them accredited by the Chinese government before you could even send off this paperwork for your school to arrange a letter of invitation !!! The mind boggles. On top of that was the request to have a letter from my previous employer, with exact dates of work, specifying my work duties, along with his/her phone number and email address. Needless to say, I left my last job not well, and there is no way I could go back to that company and get anything from them. Also being asked for a resume dating back to 18, and explaining or leaving any gaps, also being asked for said phone numbers or email addresses of all old work places, I'm 47 and have worked in around 16 different places. And being told at any stage whether in China or your home embassy if an official doesn't like your application having it rejected. And don't even start me on my Thai University MA TESOL , which I had already decided to omit, as the paperwork in getting that accreited or recognised by the Chinese would have been impossible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: