Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steps for Authenticating a Document for the Visa Process
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astrotrain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked this before but really wonder how many foreign teachers from native countries have left, gave up, would not consider coming to work in China becuase of these new regulations?
I talked to an American run school recently, they more less indicated these new regulations really screwed over Americans there, since authetication requires Fed level etc.

I am in the online permit process but feel precarious . .
It was a costly, tme consuming endeavor to boot.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why Americans are having problems like that. The only thing that went federal for me was the Chinese consulate. I used a company who asked for a few scans and got everything done in 12 days. This is all while I sit in China.
tin man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far it has been relatively easy but I am not sure what glitches may arise. In 4 weeks I am supposed to have the paperwork to take to the embassy in the US for the z. I am working on a plan b in case of any hiccups. So far I have little time or money invested in the this project since the school took the ball and ran with things. If I get a bunch of nonsense that the local authorities need, then I will most likely pass.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

travelbug66 wrote:
I am beyond disgusted with the red tape now involved in applying and getting a Chinese work visa. I thought it was bad enough with the medical check and getting your criminal check and degree apostilled, but I now heard after that you had to then go to the Chinese embassy get them accredited by the Chinese government before you could even send off this paperwork for your school to arrange a letter of invitation !!!

You send all of that to the Chinese consulate for the Z visa before you send any of it to the school. And why would the school need for you to send them this paperwork after you have been approved by the Chinese consulate and granted a Z visa?

Who is telling you this?
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhBudPowellWhereArtThou wrote:
travelbug66 wrote:
I am beyond disgusted with the red tape now involved in applying and getting a Chinese work visa. I thought it was bad enough with the medical check and getting your criminal check and degree apostilled, but I now heard after that you had to then go to the Chinese embassy get them accredited by the Chinese government before you could even send off this paperwork for your school to arrange a letter of invitation !!!

You send all of that to the Chinese consulate for the Z visa before you send any of it to the school. And why would the school need for you to send them this paperwork after you have been approved by the Chinese consulate and granted a Z visa?

Who is telling you this?

I think this is due to Americans (or other nationalities maybe) in either their home country or out of America/home country. If they committed a serious crime, there is a greater chance they cannot leave America/home country. However, if they are not in America/home country when trying to get a Z visa/residence permit change, China doesn't know their status. So, there are stricter rules in place to handle this for foreigners who are trying to get a Z visa outside their home country. Take for example my situation. I came to China in March without needing the Chinese consulate to authenticate my college diploma. The Chinese consulate associated with my state recognized my state level authentication and I was good to go. I used a courier service who did not request my college diploma. Here is their link, http://www.mychinavisa.com/visas/work

Nothing so far indicates things have changed. However, when I went to get another residence permit, they said I needed to get my college diploma authenticated by the Chinese consulate!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

So, now in July, I have two college degrees authenticated at different levels. I am awaiting news now that because I am not in America, I may need the federal criminal background check. Last time, I just filled out an affidavit claiming I am a "good" guy. My current employer decided to use it, we will see if it flies Laughing

Maybe they just want healthy smart criminals.
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verdict has been reached. I need some kind of criminal/innocence record to be issued. I am in Henan, not Zhengzhou (thank I-Ching). Do I need a federal fingerprint thingamajiggy with DC back in the yank country of Indian stolen land, or am I good to go with my local police at the state level?

For the CD/DVD, I am not a criminal. I am from the Detroit area. I regularly "shopped" at gas stations for their finest in beef jerky. I placed my money on the bullet proof carousel window and then I left. Sometimes, I had to wait 5 minutes before being allowed to enter the gas station, but that is beside the point.

I am a good guy.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for me, it cost the following to apply for this [and this is from the UK, which seems to be less ma fan than doing it in USA]

110 - Getting criminal check stamped by Chinese embassy
110 - Getting TEFL cert stamped by Chinese embassy
110 - Getting degree stamped by Chinese embassy

Plus it may cost me the following

500 - Health check
195 - Visa cost

Yep, over 1000 pounds [$1300] to apply for a Z visa now.

This is becoming ridiculous, AND, 99.99% of contracts state that they will pay for visa things WITHIN China, which is essentially a health check [400 rmb] and Visa fee [800], so they end up paying around 1000 RMB, whilst I'm out around 10,000.

My hope for this is after this year and schools seeing how hard it is to hire a foreigner, that they will raise the salaries, although I don't see that happening.
astrotrain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
So, for me, it cost the following to apply for this [and this is from the UK, which seems to be less ma fan than doing it in USA]

500 - Health check
195 - Visa cost

Yep, over 1000 pounds [$1300] to apply for a Z visa now.

This is becoming ridiculous, AND, 99.99% of contracts state that they will pay for visa things WITHIN China, which is essentially a health check [400 rmb] and Visa fee [800], so they end up paying around 1000 RMB, whilst I'm out around 10,000.

My hope for this is after this year and schools seeing how hard it is to hire a foreigner, that they will raise the salaries, although I don't see that happening.

I be Canuck so here was my cost in canadian $$s:

$60 - Getting criminal check stamped by Chinese embassy
$60 - Getting degree stamped by Chinese embassy
$160 - Passport renewal 10 yr
$50 - Health check (paid doc)

$145 - Visa cost
$XXX - Flight over

Time consuming but cheaper than you guys, what a drag, can't wait to see what they have in store for us nxt year. Freakin signed a 2 yr contract 2 boot. Foooook!

P.S. New regulations state u can get health check done in PRC even if you are overseas doing the Z, so yeah I should have done the latter.
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
since authetication requires Fed level etc.

I am curious, is anyone from USA and not working in a big city like Beijing or Shanghai? Did you have to get a Fed level check? Is this nationwide or just in certain cities?

I am being told 2 different things and not sure which to go with.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:

500 - Health check
195 - Visa cost

Yep, over 1000 pounds [$1300] to apply for a Z visa now..

Are those numbers for the document BS through an agent?

Do you (or anyone) know of a reliable but not outageously expensive UK based agent who can deal with this? Pease pm me.

I'm not in the UK, and as it is a three step process, dont see how i can avoid using one.

One more thing, how long are the medicals good for? Anyone?

Thanks
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I use an agent because it's about 30 quid more than doing it yourself, and a train into London once plus a sandwich costs me that, so I'd rather they do it.

Medicals are a pain in the UK, I had to go to central London to a Harley Street doctor to get the medical. Good for a year I think
indoboy17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be mad doing a medical in the UK for 500 really. I know you have no choice and I am from the UK too but I did my medical at a hospital in Taiwan and it cost me 45 pounds for everything. 500 pounds is just such a big big rip off I wouldn't pay it out of pride. If I were in the UK I would probably fill in the health check for foreigner form myself as it does not need to be notrised and legalised/apostilled. Your employer just needs it. But anyway I have done mine now so it does not concern me. Dont forget your travel costs to London will be another 100 pounds probably ontop. RIP OFF UK DOCS
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly a rip off though when you can get a prescription worth $1000 for nothing
indoboy17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For certain drugs, for certain diseases, in certain counties of the UK yes you can. But others in the UK can't because of lack of funding.

Anyway it is a completely different scenario to paying a private doctor 500 for saying you dont have leprosy, you are 180 cm tall and weigh 90 KG and your EKG is normal...signed DR NO Plus how on earth can ESL teachers afford to pay these costs when you earn 18k a month at most before tax and before paying your rent?
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you do is get a job that pays you 25k and a free house in the big city, and do extra work on the side to round that to 30k or more. So then your entire visa costs are 1/3 of a months salary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: